Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

chassis mods for hillclimb 1200 sdn.
Quite a regular
From Mid North Coast N.S.W
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all.

I'm sure it's the same as everyone else. You buy a car to do some suspension work and drop a hot motor into but you find some rust and the next thing you know, the remains of the boot floor is sitting on the ground next to you.

What? Just me?.........

Anyway, now I have some space to work with, i was wondering if the 1200 sdn can do with some added structural bracing? Do they have any inherent weak spots that are regularly addressed when being used for motorsport?

The car will be used for Hillclimbs mainly but will be kept registered (and engineered) for street duties. Hillclimbs within a decent radius don't hold meetings enough to warrant a dedicated race car.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 12:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: chassis mods for hillclimb 1200 sdn.
Home away from home
From Christchurch
Group:
Registered Users
Nope me too.....
Open in new window

Mine I end up welding a sheet metal rear firewall in which would have stiffened it up a bit, but that was cause the rules for my class require that the cabin is sealed from fuel cell.
Other than that I've done a roll cage and stich welded it. Cant think Of much else

Posted on: 2012/6/7 7:29

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
You've taken out a lot more material than I have. I started off with the spare wheel well but removed the rear corners on the outside of the sub-frame as well. Also the rear vertical inner guard panel needed replacing on the passenger side about 200mm from the rear bumper panel.

I am taking pics but haven't been successful getting them from my phone to my comp. Yet....

Posted on: 2012/6/10 1:54

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
i don't think you should be too concerned with extra strength, the coupes have no bracing in rear and its not generally considered an issue

the coupes have a weak point in the body at the top mounting point of the shock absorbers (in terms of rallying), i haven't looked at top mounts on sedans for a long time, but possibly this is where a bit of extra strength would be handy

Posted on: 2012/6/10 3:10
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
I had thought of setting up a rear strut brace so I might put the new Tig into action and see if I can wreck some more Alloy. But that now has to wait a bit.

The car is being shipped off to the Panel Beaters tomoz for more bodywork. I have cut most of the rust out of the car back to clean metal so they can replace the gaping holes with nice metal sheet. It will also be getting the rear flares done (since the outer guards are gone already) and maybe the fronts as well.

Posted on: 2012/6/17 12:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]