Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 11 »

Re: 78 120Y coupe
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
had a seat out of this on the weekend while replacing the gear shift bushers. The cassette deck is definitely not factory - speaker wiring under the carpet gives it away. Just a period aftermarket unit.

But this thing must be seriously low km - even under the seats looks like new!

I also grabbed the knobs for the heater/vent controls off the other 120Y - they were missing from this one.

Also fitted the wider late model 120Y radiator - should make cruising along the highways in summer alot better.

Posted on: 2013/5/22 2:19

Edited by L18_B110 on 2013/7/25 0:13:49

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
epic thread revival! Took a while to find it I can tell ya

6 weeks ago I bought another Datsun, a 720 King Cab that was just too good not to buy when I saw it. Thought it might be a good way of satisfying my Datsun urges with something I wouldn't be tempted to race! lol And utes are always very handy - I've done heaps of runs to the tip since I've had it!

But all it really did was make the desire to own a cool old school Datsun even stronger. So I started looking for another 120Y coupe, which are really my favourite old Dattos...

Attach file:

jpg  720.jpg (162.21 KB)
518_56d36dcecf7c4.jpg 960X540 px

Posted on: 2016/2/28 22:07

Edited by L18_B110 on 2016/2/28 22:25:08

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Long story short, I contacted my mate I sold this coupe to, and as luck would have it he was as keen on my 720 as I was one my old coupe. So the deal was done on Saturday, and I now have this little gem back home. Pete had only put about 700km on it in the couple of years he owned, and kept it absolutely pristine! :)
It's got the A14 and 32/36 Weber from the 120Y 2dr sedan I bought in it now, and Pete added a Rowland manifold and electronic ignition. He had some little 13" hotwires on it as well, but I wanted it with the stock 12s and hub caps, so he kept the mags for his other Dattos.
Open in new window

Open in new window

I drove the 720 down there and the 120Y back home, adding about 120km to it's total in one go. And it drives as tight as a drum. I had the stupidest big grin on my face the whole way home lol

Posted on: 2016/2/28 22:12

Edited by L18_B110 on 2016/2/28 22:28:12

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I still have my 13x7 hotwires and some lowering springs. Brendan who bought the 2dr sedan racer off me gave me the S13 front brake conversion back now that he's upgraded to Wilwoods - Datsun guys really do look after each other.
This one definitely won't be raced. Just a nice mildly modified cruiser. I'll fix the rust in the front edge of the bonnet and might get a cam grind to give it some attitude.
I'm tempted to do my usual L series and 5spd conversion with twin Hitachi SUs, but I just don't feel quite right about doing an engine conversion in this one - it's too good. Then again, the Excellents were released with L series so maybe I can talk myself into it lol But that will be down the track a bit anyway.
I've still got to go back to Pete's and pick up the original A12 for it to tuck away in the shed in case I ever want to go back to 100% stock. A ute would be handy for that! lol

Posted on: 2016/2/28 22:23

Home away from home
From Mordialloc Victoria 3195
Group:
Registered Users
Had the same dilemma with my 1200 coupe - I weakend

Posted on: 2016/2/28 23:35

keep it simple
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
lol yeah I probably will too... they're just so much better with L series and 5spd in my opinion.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 0:40

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
This is one of the complicated threads Harry, knowing what you know and have had then driving the thing stock as a rock to appreciate its factory engineering and features yet still having the urge to go to the Excellent level or performance.

This is my fave Y shape and owned a pristine beige low km one I couldnt bring myself to do modify had just over 46,000km back in 1998 sold it to a young guy who managed to wrap it around a pole testing the A12 with his P plate skills on a rainy night.

Almost a year ago was going to buy a 4 door excellent with all original L14 but really wanted the coupe for the styling.

This blue one is obviously asking for your attention. Can we have a perv of the engine bay with the rowland mani setup?

Posted on: 2016/2/29 3:56

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
It actually drives really nice, and handles surprisingly well. I didn't exactly push it, but it turned in so sharp in the twisty mountain roads where he lived when left his place. And that was on the 155s! hehe Not much body roll either surprisingly. Definitely feel lighter and more nimble with the A series. But you can't beat the extra grunt and effortless power of the L series, combined with cheap readily available 5spds for much better highway cruising, it really is the way to go I reckon.

Definitely get some current photos up soon. Apart from the engine, it's just as immaculate as it was before, only the rust in front edge of bonnet lets it down. I'll have to fix that soon.

It is a convoluted thread:
Look for 210 or 310 coupe for a track car project
Buy blue 120Y coupe - clean it up and find it's too good to race
Buy yellow 120Y 2dr sedan with A14, weber and 5spd, which gets turned into the L20B track car.
Sell blue 120Y coupe to a mate to fund 2dr sedan project :(
Sell 2dr sedan engine to fund project - ends up in the blue 120Y coupe
Build and race 2dr sedan :)
Sell 2dr sedan to another mate :(
Regret it. Look for another Datsun.
Buy 720 ute. :/
Swap 720 for original blue 120Y coupe with the old engine out of the yellow 2dr sedan :D
Other mate gives me the S13 brake upgrade back off the 2dr sedan after he upgraded his brakes, as well as the 175lb 260Z King Springs, and the spare Stanza 5spd I gave him when he bought the car.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 5:29

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
LOL this is what happens when you toy with the Y factor.

Just out of curiosity I weighed up many L, CA and A series bits and the
L16 was equal to an A15. A12 block was 7kg lighter but if you lighten
the crank, rods, flywheel and use heavier L head theres only around
15kg more than an A series & 8kg more for a stumpy 71B box vs 5 spd 60s.

L is the way

Posted on: 2016/2/29 11:01

Guest_
Do it harry, l18 rev monster. You know you can put it back to stock later on if need be

Posted on: 2016/2/29 12:45
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 11 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.