Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 »

Re: 78 120Y coupe
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I finally got motivated - not easy when you have 4 cars all wanting or needing stuff done. I might be selling the Soarer to get back to a more manageable 3 cars...

Drilled clutch pedal for the hydraulic master cylinder rod. Did the wiring for dissy, alternator and electric fan. Throttle cable and bracket, radiator hoses, longer coil HT lead, new air filter and engine and box oil. Bit of flammable liquid down the carby and it fired straight into life - sounds pretty mean. Put the interior all back together - carpet console and seats were out for welding up underneath the transmission tunnel. Only thing left to do is the hydraulic clutch line - which I can't find! lol This is what happens when you leave things too long and have a messy shed.

I'll probably have to rebuild or swap the gearbox once it's up and running - a synchro shift plate was stuck to the drain bung magnet when I checked it was empty before the conversion... I do have a 180B SSS 63a dogleg long box for parts but it might be easier just to find another Stanza 5spd.

Posted on: 2016/6/20 0:30

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
There's a Stanza 5 speed on E-Bay at the moment, it's marked as a Datsun 5 speed, but mentions it's from a Stanza, it's in Vic & it's overpriced imho. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-5-S ... b4fd00:g:5TcAAOSwepZXSoqT . I have one that I'm getting as a swap for some parts, but it's still in Townsville, there's also a Stanza 5 speed sitting in the shed with no 4th & 5th gears if you want to try that for parts. Pity that's in Sydney, or you could have it. I reckon you try the box out before sourcing a new one, it might be quite good in spite of a dodgy synchro.
PS Photos, never enough photos

Posted on: 2016/6/20 9:22
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Cars! 3 out of 4 of my collection of #OOPS#boxes are currently broken. The newest addition, the 3.0 V6 MR2 has cracked the chassis at the swaybar mount. Apparently a common problem with the early SW20s. I should have put it up on a hoist to have a good look at the thing when I bought it, I would have found this before it broke clean off. But it's no big deal to fix when you know a coach and body builder. This one will be fixed tomorrow - will be better than new with a bit of plating and extra bracing. I bought some 2nd hand 17" Buddy Clubs for it recently, which look far better than the 16" R32 Skyline wheels it came with:
Open in new window

Soarer blew a coolant hose last weekend at Lakeside, trying to improve the PB on the new 265 semis and backyard aero - spoiler and canards.
Can't see what's leaking, but it can only be the water coolant lines to the throttle body and IACV or to the factory oil cooler. I bypassed the TB & IACV lines yesterday but that didn't do the trick. I'll need to remove the inlet manifold to get to the oil cooler lines if I'm doing it at home. Might take it to a mate's workshop to see if it's accessible on the hoist instead.
Open in new window

And the 120Y... Gearbox is out now. Gave it a run in gear up on stands and it sounded pretty nasty, so definitely no good. The brand new oil looked awful when draining it too.
So, stumpy boxes are pretty thin on the ground these days, and it could be a long wait for one to come up. I'm keen to get this on the road and start using it again. The other options are transferring the internals from the 180B SSS 63A long box into the Stanza box, or fitting a long box - which is the way I'm leaning at the moment. It's the easy and cheap option, and I have 2 lying around. Also means tha tif the box breaks in future it's easy to replace. They're 5" longer in total length and to the shifter on the 180B SSS 63A 5spd - the 71B I have is a bit shorter to the shifter. It would mean shortening a tailshaft and cutting the shifter hole and console. I'll get a price on tailshaft shortening and decide...
I also made up some spacers for the swaybar so it clears the L16 oil pump now at full droop. That's pretty much everything else checked off the to-do list. Just need a gearbox!

Posted on: 2016/7/3 9:49

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
Harry, that sounds pretty good to me. Bluebird 5 speeds are easier to get than Stumpy's or 63a's. The other thing is the 120Y has a sheet steel plate on top of the transmission tunnel, as I'm sure you know, so you might not have to cut too much of the tunnel, if at all.

Posted on: 2016/7/4 8:04
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
yeah, it's happening. I had today off so dropped the Soarer off to a mechanic mate to deal with that nightmare - pulling off inlet manifold to find the leaks is not something I want to do at home.
MR2 is all fixed too. welded some 3mm plate over the chassis and reformed the mounts so that should be right now.
And the 120Y's tailshaft is in getting shortened 133mm (5.25" in the old money) Should have it back tomorrow. I threw the 180B SSS long 63a box in too. I like the dogleg pattern and know that's a good box - drove the Stanza it was in before pulling it apart. So it's all systems go. Had to cut 3" out of the floor to clear the shifter, and will have to mess with the console a bit but this was the best way forward I think.

Posted on: 2016/7/4 9:05

Edited by L18_B110 on 2016/7/5 10:30:46

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Nice MR2 must do good skidz! which v6 does it have?
Toyota makes some awesome v6 donks

Ive always wanted an american BG 5 speed bellhousing from factory 280zx turbo L28et
to use a later T5 world class with close ratio gearset with nice compact S-10 rear housing
makes it a smal box and gearshift in the right place
http://thumbs1.picclick.com/d/l400/pi ... -Transmission-S-10-WC.jpg

Soarers are going up in value in Japan

Posted on: 2016/7/5 7:12

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
MR2 actually has awesome traction on the Federal RS-RR rubber. It's just the mid 90's 3VZ-FE V6 with 150KW, chromemoly TODA flywheel, puck clutch and Quaffe LSD. It's a fun little car, handles pretty good - feels nice and light, small and nimble compared to the Soarer, but it still weighs 1200kg somehow! I'm enjoying getting used to the MR handling characteristics too - it's a different ting to drive. Sounds good too.

Soarer is a beast for something so stock. The 1JZ is a pretty awesome motor. I was thinking about selling it just because it's a bit expensive running 4 cars, but they're really worth nothing here and I have a soft spot for the big old girl. Good to hear the values are going up in Japan. They really are ridiculously cheap performance cars, and very underrated. People seem to think they're only good for straight line stuff, but they handle better than Nissan S and R chassis cars if you ask me.

I picked up the shortened tailshaft on the way home today. 120Y is all back together now and battery on charge. Just need to sort out the transmission tunnel on the weekend and it's done! :)

Posted on: 2016/7/5 10:29

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Funny you say that about the Toyota chassis as any of the last supra A80 turbos
are fetching more than R32 GTR Godzillas, 35k USD for an original and based on
Z30 soarer chassis. Quality chassis and toyota quality in general is hard to beat.

Posted on: 2016/7/5 16:12

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Bled the clutch and made up a new blanking plate for the transmission tunnel this morning. The Stanza donor car's bonnet was harmed in the making of this lol I'll have to make up a big new gearshift boot to fill the hole in the console...
So it's all back together now, but after a test run the alternator just touches the bottom radiator hose so I'll have to move the radiator over to the side a few inches - won't need the extension in the top hose after that.

Attach file:

jpg  20160709_100146.jpg (109.61 KB)
518_57806a61a20e1.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  20160709_100031.jpg (123.80 KB)
518_57806a6d238c9.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  20160709_111811.jpg (107.83 KB)
518_57806a774c4da.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  20160709_120223.jpg (133.22 KB)
518_57806a818f701.jpg 1024X576 px

Posted on: 2016/7/9 4:12

Guest_