Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

Newbie Budget A14 Turbo Build & Expectations
Home away from home
From Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hey guys as the title says I'm looking for some info on budget turbo a14 build. I'm a total n00b have never done anything like this before but I want to learn and I'm happy to get/pay experts to do the things I cant. I have done a search and saw another thread where someone asked a similar thing but I'm looking for a bit more of a guide/detailed starting point. Also I want to know what kind of performance I can expect so I can manage my expectations/decide whether this is going to be worth it.

I want a fun reasonably quick daily driver. Not looking to build a race car and dont want something that is going to go hard for a month and then blow up. Just fun reliable kinda quick ute

Background
I picked up an A14 with oval port head and oval side intake. I have no idea the condition of it other than its not seized. My original plan was to do a basic overhaul and maybe look to put some performance parts in there. Now I'm thinking for fun and grin factor (and reading DDs junkyard turbo build @ $300 comment in the other a14 turbo thread and the topgear A12 turbo) that this might be worthwhile.

Questions
- What is a relatively sensible budget to expect? Assuming I need to get pros involved for the tricky bits. I think I could mount everything but fabricating, tuning etc I'm gonna need help.
- Apart from checking the condition of the engine what is the best way to start? What should I do to this A14 to make it reliable once turbo'd
- What carbie should I use?
- Where can I get the parts required? Currently I only have the A14 oval intake and extractors. I need everything else.
- What can I really expect performance wise? rough horsepower/quarter times? would is say be as fast a new standard commodore?

N00b questions I know, but you have to start somewhere! :)

Thanks in advance

Posted on: 2013/2/28 8:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Newbie Budget A14 Turbo Build & Expectations
Home away from home
From Logan, QLD
Group:
Registered Users
1. I'd say $2000-$3000 minimum, for someone who has never done anything like this, you will have to get an exhaust manifold made, get a decent carb set-up, and inspect/rebuild motor, plus doing all the other mods required like oil returns, lines, bigger exhaust, piping/cooler/airbox for carbs etc.

2. Not the best person to comment, but i'd chuck a starter in it and check compression after changing the oil, then pull down the sump pan and rocker cover and inspect the general condition. Also check the oil for cheese incase of broken head gasket etc.

3. Dunno at all, see what more experienced people use.

4. Forums/ebay/machine shops, ask for something more specific.

5. Dunno :D

Posted on: 2013/2/28 11:07

Home away from home
From Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Ok so I think I have found someone who can build a turbo inlet and exhaust manifold. Currently the A12 is in my ute, If we workout/position/measure everything to this will it line up to A14?

I know A14 has oval inlet instead of circle but other than that could you mock it up to an A12?

Posted on: 2013/3/1 8:20

Home away from home
From Logan, QLD
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, but keep in mind your block height will be higher, so any cooler piping will have to have some leeway for that.

If you are making it straight to the carb without a cooler, it should be fine, providing the manifold you have will line up on the other head, i.e later bolt pattern. This is easily identified by each set of 2 ports having either 1 or 2 bolts.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 8:53

Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
dude just look on gumtree south africa [ type in nissan 1400 turbo ] there is an A15 turbo. At R8.00 to AUS dollar it works out to about just under 3000 aus dollar. this chaps claim to fame is 300hp & 365nm at 2bar and 351hp and 400nm with nitros.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 18:46

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Claim to fame, 200 HP is difficult to achieve with A-series.

2-bar is twice atmospheric pressure, so 300 hp suggests it is a full-race A15 forced with twice the normal air. Road-race A15s here do about 140-150 RWHP and last 6 hours before rebuild.

Turbo bakkie for sale
Open in new window

Posted on: 2013/3/1 19:07

Edited by ddgonzal on 2013/3/1 20:08:47

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
You can do this very easily by simply fabricating a 'J' off your standard exhaust manifold using plumbers steam pipe steel bends, and drawing through a 1"3/4 SU carb.Forget about intercooling at this stage and at 8lbs boost with conservative spark ( max. 30 degrees total advance ) you will have a very lively, reliable street powerplant.Big things are not to overboost, overspark or underfuel. A T25 or similar would be ideal as long as it can handel a draw through.
A nice, free flowing 2 1/2" or bigger exhaust tail pipe is also required.
The easiest and probably the most efficient inlet manifold is to get some to fabricate up a log type out of exhaust U bends meeting up to a top tube that is fed from the middle ( hope this makes sense )
A 1"3/4 SU is capable of flowing 300hp worth of air and fuel and very easily tuned so are an ideal ( if not slightly old fashioned ) way to go.
As far as engine mods go really at that boost do nothing other than make sure that the head gasket as well as the block and head surfaces are good, and of course the valves are all lapped in nicely as well as some good valve springs.
A oil feed to the turbo from the oil pump ( for Gods sake make sure that its FILTERED oil and of course a drain to the block.
Simple, easy and very effective.
Performance- done nicely it should be good for low 14's through a quarter mile.
Cheers
Dave

Posted on: 2013/3/1 19:20

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
For a "budget" build, have you seen our Tech Article? See Turbo section "Stage 1". $300 and some welding will do it. The A-series does not need special parts to do it, as long as it is in good running shape.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 20:12

Guest_
As stated cheapest is suck through turbo setup. Just need a j pipe off stock manifold for the exhaust turbine. The compressor side just needs piping to an inlet manifold. Cheapest is make an adaptor to the stock inlet manifold.

Inlet to turbo just needs piping from an Su carb to the turbo.

as mentioned oil feed and drain to sump need looking at but so will a throttle cable.

You will have cheap power upgrade and save cash from no intercooler etc.

Easily reversible if defected too. Just don't go crazy with boost and can suffer decidability issues in cold weather.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 23:51

Home away from home
From Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
ok thanks for all the info guys.

Yes definitely keeping it simple and doing draw through
I'm getting a hold of some SU carbs that I'm hoping will be ok. and I have put a WTB in classifieds for a turbo inlet manifold...
failing that I might have someone who will make me a inlet and exhaust.

Anyone had any experience using stock manifold with J pipe vs custom exhaust manifold?
Im assuming the custom would be better, but how much?

Posted on: 2013/3/2 7:07

(1) 2 3 4 ... 9 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]