Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 34 »

Re: L18_B110's 120Y 2dr sedan - street/track project
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
LittleFireyOne, looks like that is another bit that went to the dump.

New springs are in. It's about 35mm higher in the front than the above pics on this page. LCA's are level again now, which is ok, but I might get some roll centre adjusters soon because they'll settle a bit lower over the next couple of months. It should be back to the height it was with the A12 then. I liked it at that height. RCA's might be an issue with the 13" hotwires though.

Final bits all done ready for the hillclimb now. Blocked off the heater hose holes in the firewall. Found a little vacuum leak from a carb fitting and plugged that. Fitted a second throttle spring. Adjusted rear brakes. Stuck a blue triangle on. Even gave it a wash to get all my grubby hand marks off it from all the work that's happened to it this year... I put a boost gauge back in it to see what's happening - it's making 8psi. Goes pretty well I reckon for such low boost :)

I was going to move the swaybar back to the middle settings after getting that info above, but the bar has been hitting the chassis. The extra 35mm height might be enough to fix it, but I decided to leave it on the hardest setting for now to reduce lean as much as possible and I'll check if it still hits at the hillclimb. RCAs would help this too, spacing the LCA down for a bit more swaybar clearance. The stiffest swaybar setting will help keep weight on the inside rear tyre too which is important since it's still an open diff at the moment.

The 6yo 2nd hand $100 semi slicks have had a couple of coats of tyre softener and are feeling alot better with the old thumb-nail test. I'll fit them to the car tomorrow afternoon and take it for a run to scrub them, and then they'll get a final coat on Wednesday night ready for the hillclimb next weekend :D

Posted on: 2014/9/27 6:56

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
ready to race!

Attach file:

jpg  ready1.jpg (115.96 KB)
518_5427a3899b26e.jpg 1323X653 px

Posted on: 2014/9/28 7:01

Guest_
Grandpa's sleeper

Posted on: 2014/9/28 7:28
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Melbourne,Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Good luck mate

Posted on: 2014/9/28 22:55

From Ballarat Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
I really like what you've done with this. Simple, cheap HP and fun. Wish you were in Vic. Would love to see it on the dyno. probably still goes over 100kw at 8 Psi.

Have a great first outing!

Posted on: 2014/9/29 3:23

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks guys.

Simon, I reckon it would do something close to that. It goes ok. I really should get it on a dyno to check it out...

First outing is just a shakedown. Suspension is unfinished - no camber or castor yet, and the open diff should guarantee pretty poor times. But I'm looking forward to giving it a run :)

Posted on: 2014/9/29 23:48

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
I cant say I have seen anyone finish their race/fun cars faster than you Harry,
very different to 98% of us & sincerely hope to see you beat your previous times
when its setup the way you want it. Whats your future plan for the diff?

Have you had the chance to see or guesstimate weight difference(s) from previous L 1200?.
Sure we expect the Y as heavier but more important than hp/kw is that perhaps in the torque
department thanks to boost with good capacity, even 8 psi could be making around 170 lbs??

Posted on: 2014/9/30 4:39

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks D.

L18 1200 coupe was 850kg.
L20 turbo 120Y is 890kg. Pretty happy with that. It was 790kg stock with A12, 4spd and H145.

Diff will just get welded like my old 1200 had, but I've been waiting till after its engineered.

I think mine was easier to finish quickly because it was really only a mechanical project, and doing everything cheap/quick at that. Bodywork and interior are totally unchanged apart from the bare essentials I had to do - lipping gaurds, a litle rust repair in the boot, seat and cage. No cosmetic work has happened at all! lol A full project would take alot longer. But this would have been done alot quicker too if I wasn't messing around with racing the Soarer in the meantime.

Posted on: 2014/9/30 6:58

Edited by L18_B110 on 2014/10/1 5:38:00

From Melbourne,Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Tach's boxed up and ready to go mate will be on it's way to you soon

Posted on: 2014/10/1 23:21

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks mate. It will be nice to get rid of the ricey defi style tach that's constantly beeping, flashing red and carrying on. It will be a bit tidier with no gauges on the column, and a factory gauge will help keep the sleeper theme going as well.

I've also ordered carpet and a dash mat to cover up the cracked dash and make it a bit nicer inside. I might box-in the rear seat area with some plywood and carpet the back too.

It also needs some tunes! It's never had radio at all, and I won't be hacking up the dash. I'll probably get a cheap mp3 amp/tuner and pair of 6x9s in boxes so I don't have to cut any holes.

I got a good deal on a fibreglass seat with side mounts which will hopefully let me mount it a little lower than this SAAS base mount seat. The SAAS seat can then go back in the Soarer.

I'm not real happy with the intrusion bars my mate made. I just assumed he would take them to the footwell like every intrusion bar I've ever seen, but he was trying to make it a bit more stealthy because they're illegal for road use these days. They also need to be a bit higher to provide better side intrusion protection IMO. Nevermind, it's no big deal to make up a couple more bars later on.

Attach file:

jpg  interiornow.jpg (184.33 KB)
518_542c875baeff1.jpg 961X754 px

Posted on: 2014/10/2 0:23

Edited by L18_B110 on 2014/10/2 1:21:40
Edited by L18_B110 on 2014/10/2 2:12:07

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 34 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.