Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 34 »

Re: L18_B110's 120Y 2dr sedan - street/track project
Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Went 3.5 seconds faster than last time with a 64.0, beating an E30 BMW M3 with full cage and all the gear. And only a couple of tenths off a Lotus Exige with all the aero bits. Not bad for a budget 120Y!

Absolutely amazing
Must be so fulfilling for you to see how the changes in your setup can gain such results.Better yet its all DIY mods.
well done mate !!!

also loved the videos.Must be frustrating for the owner of a pedigree machine M3 to be reeled in like that by a datsun 120y coupe which has been budget built.

So at this stage, what are your next mods?

Cheers

Posted on: 2015/4/26 6:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

b310gx wrote:
Nice to see you've given up on drifting. She looks very good in the corners, & I bet he got worried every time you reeled him in. Which brings me to my next suggestion. Surely you have a small cam you could fit to give a bit more top end. & maybe a better head gasket so you can up the boost without it eating the gasket. He was only quicker than you in the top end, & a bit more power there would really be a laugh What revs are you getting, anyway? The car doesn't sound to be revving out, but that could just be an illusion. Well done there, Harry. just what I needed to see after all my Sunnys got caught in that hale storm this afternoon.

Yeah it handles pretty well now :) Head gasket was only killed by pinging and my refusal to back off when I heard it lol, not boost. I'm lucky that's all it did to be honest... I'm sure the head gasket would handle more boost no problem.

It revs to 6500, which isn't all that much. It really doesn't matter if you shift earlier - it's very torquey. Very muted exhaust note probably makes it sound like it's not even revving that far. A cam - maybe, but not just yet. The M3 was much more powerful. To pull a gap like that down that straight is huge. I'm hitting over 5500rpm in 5th down the front straight, so that should be just over 180km/h. He'd have to be topping 200. We're not even in the same ballpark for power:weight. He doesn't pull away so far around the back of the track because the corner under the bridge tends to scare people hehe

Sorry to hear your Dattos got caught in the hail. I saw the pictures on the news - that was some storm! Hope they're not badly damaged.

Quote:

a12grunt wrote:
Quote:
Went 3.5 seconds faster than last time with a 64.0, beating an E30 BMW M3 with full cage and all the gear. And only a couple of tenths off a Lotus Exige with all the aero bits. Not bad for a budget 120Y!

Absolutely amazing
Must be so fulfilling for you to see how the changes in your setup can gain such results.Better yet its all DIY mods.
well done mate !!!

also loved the videos.Must be frustrating for the owner of a pedigree machine M3 to be reeled in like that by a datsun 120y coupe which has been budget built.

So at this stage, what are your next mods?

Cheers

Thanks :) It's always fun with backyard mods done on a budget. Most of that time is from the better tyres, but without the suspension it wouldn't have gone much faster either I suppose... Next mod is probably the exhaust. The 2.25" exhaust is probably restricting it a bit, and I want a little more volume anyway.

I'll check the wastegate while it's off to make sure it seals (pour a bit of water on the valve) and check the opening pressure with a boost gauge and pump. Just to make sure it's OK. Otherwise I'll get a new one before putting it back together.

But I don't really want to go chasing much more power from it at this stage. I'm pretty happy with how it goes at the moment, and the 63A gearbox seems happy. Much more power and it will need bigger gearbox, shortened tailshaft, better clutch, ignition control, water injection etc. Actually water injection is probably a good idea now...

I'll take it back to Mt Cotton hillclimb once the wastegate is sorted to see how it goes, and probably also have a run at Qld Raceway. I've got times from my old L18 coupe at both those tracks, so it will be a good comparison. It ran 1:04.00 at QR Sprint track and 50.02 at Mt Cotton with my old 116rwbhp 1770cc junker L16/18. The 120Y should beat those times pretty easily.
With the Stewart Wilkins Racing 146rwbhp 1995cc L18 it ran 48.37 at Mt Cotton. I don't think it will match that...

I also want to get another set of 15" wheels to put the Achillies back on for street use - they're great street tyres. But $840 isn't going to happen any time soon. Maybe with my tax return... I'll fit the old 205/60 street tyres back on the 13x7" hotwires later this week for street rubber in the meantime - the skinny little Enkeis it's currently on just don't do it for me anymore.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 1:04

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
Had a quick look & all seems okay. Hale that turned to slush instead of bouncing & making dents helps.
That rev range seems good, I thought it'd be less than that. So maybe the newer head gasket & a tightened clamp on the waste gate will be enough to go a bit faster.

Posted on: 2015/4/27 10:23
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
so you are 2nd or third on that leader list Harry? not far off the SR20DET with slightly more boost!

Just wondering as the cost of the 71C boxes are cheap compared to the 63a and clutches are also cheap if you use a 280zx turbo clutch from highway brakes (speak to Bob) but going up to the larger box say $300 then increasing the boost, using H2O to keep detonation down with the extra 4-6psi boost, larger exhaust and mild cam grind should make this thing a beast!
Could you do it all for around 800-1000aud? or will this be done eventually as beer money is sacrificed? eg. average 2-3 beers a day at $10 that 100 days no beer $1000 to the project.
Even faster if you smoke but then give up.

Its no lecture but some of us dont drink, smoke, use pokies, horse race or put money into the knickers of pole dancers so our datsuns shouldnt be given a little more than we keep from them :)

Posted on: 2015/4/29 4:15

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
100 days with no beer!!! aaaarrrgghh! the Datsun can bloody well wait lol
I'm having beers tonight with a few Datsun mates, never mind 100 days!

It would be 2nd on that ozdat list now. 2 tenths off the number one guy - a 'pro' driver Jeff let drive his 1600 around to se what it could really do maxed-out. I think my car might have those 2 tenths left in it the way it is to be honest.

I'm probably just making excuses to get out of work anyway. I have a 71B long box lying around that would be strong enough. I also have a sprung button clutch sitting on a bench. But I really only just got it going - I'm happy just driving it as is for a while, see how it goes at a few tracks and just enjoy it for a while... I'll upgrade things when the gearbox breaks lol

Besides, I'm spreading my budget around on a few cars. Patrol Rego got paid today. 120Y rego is due in a couple of weeks. Soarer got new road tyres a few weeks ago, and I just bought a FMIC, HKS FCD and big dump pipe which should make it a fair bit faster. The Datsun will get it's share as time goes on...

Posted on: 2015/4/29 6:38

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
enjoy your brew but also remember Aldi beer is pretty good German made and only 30 bucks a slab or thereabouts :))

Posted on: 2015/4/29 15:02

Home away from home
From Quairading, Western Australia
Group:
Registered Users
not half Envious of you having a 120Y 2 door sedan, but it's sano too

funny how non Datto people think we are mad spending lots on cars not worth that much, my 120Y might only be a 4 door and not roadworthy, but I'd happily spend "silly" amounts of money to do it up... hehe

but non datto people say I's not worth it...

still love the 2 door shape... but not likely to get one unless I imported a B-210 from the states... then again not about to weld doors shut to make up for that idea... :-p

Posted on: 2015/4/30 13:46

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
picked up a manifold gasket yesterday so it's all back together and running well again now.

The wastegate is good. Its valve sealed water as a test, and now that its properly fitted to the manifold, it makes boost much better in 1st and 2nd gears. Not sure if I forgot to tighten that before or it came loose, but I'll be keeping an eye on it now.

Looking forward to taking it to a hillclimb now that it's working better in low gears.

Posted on: 2015/5/3 3:39

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
fitted this on the weekend
Open in new window

this type of bleed has a ball valve inside to prevent vacuum leak at idle/cruise, so it's perfect for a draw-through turbo where vacuum leak would make it run rough.

backed timing off a few degrees and adjusted this to 10psi. Feels a bit quicker :) No hint of pinging. No more problem with not making boost in 1st and second - makes the full 10psi in 2nd gear now.

I want to do a hillclimb next, but the next one isn't until 11-12 July.

Posted on: 2015/6/1 7:00

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Just sent my entry in for the hillclimb :) only a few weekends away now.
Mt Cotton should suit the 120Y much better than the high speed Lakeside where aero/wind resistance doesn't really help old boxy Datsuns.

My old L18 1200 ran a best of 50.02 with my 116rwbhp junker engine and old crappy $50 Hankook race tyres. With the 146rwbhp Stewart Wilkins racing engine and good fresh Yokohama A032Rs it managed 48.37. But it also had a CR 240Z gearset, 4.3 diff and full cage.
The 120Y has good Yokohama A050M but they are a few years old, just a half cage, stock 3.9 diff and wide gearbox ratios but a bit extra turbo torque... and power pretty much smack bang in between those two engines... It will be interesting to see where it ends up. It would be great if it can beat the Soarer's time before the big exhaust went on, 49.2. I think that's a realistic target for this event.

On the 120Y's first shakedown run when I first got it running, it did a 52.3 iirc, with open diff, no camber/castor and $100 set of 6yo Silverstone semis. So I'm looking for a 3sec improvement from locked diff, suspension setup and better tyres...

Posted on: 2015/6/24 1:27

Edited by L18_B110 on 2015/7/9 6:02:35

« 1 ... 23 24 25 (26) 27 28 29 ... 34 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.