Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

CA18 crank pulley clearance
Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I've got a bit of an issue with clearance between the crank pulley and radiator.

I'm already using an EXA pulley which only has the two pulleys on it and have about 2mm between it and the S13 radiator.

I can only get a couple of mm extra if I move the radiator forward as there is an inter cooler in front of it.

So wanting to know if anyone has successfully trimmed a couple of ribs off one of these pulleys or better still has anyone ever found a single pulley setup. Failing that I might have to find a thin radiator which runs side tanks.....Help!

Posted on: 2013/4/7 9:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: CA18 crank pulley clearance
Home away from home
From Chipping norton sydney
Group:
Registered Users
I got a pulley made for me with only one on it and im using s13 radiator with thermo fan

Posted on: 2013/4/7 9:33

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Ross make a single pulley but big $$ what size cooler are you running as I have a 64mm cooler and a 54mm radiator in mine and have 6~10 clearance to my exa pulley!
Open in new window

Posted on: 2013/4/7 9:35

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
SXC-DTO - who made it, Ross?

There is a triple pulley alloy billet that sells on ebay from HK or China and can be machined down to a single but its not a dampened one but solid billet.

The double cannot be machined to one unfortunately.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 13:10

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
My intercooler is a PWR one and core is 73mm thick. Suppose I could change it for a thinner one and relocate the radiator bottom mounts forward a bit, but this is my 3rd intercooler so far in this project (and a good one at that!) and I'm hoping to keep it.

D - I knew I had heard of people failing when attempting to lathe off a pulley (or two), but was hoping it was possible to just cut off a couple of the ribs without it falling apart. I did see the Billet pulleys on ebay and wondered if they would be more easily
chopped down..this could be an option but would prefer a dampened unit.

I might have a look at the Ross units and see what $$ they are.

EDIT:
YEP....Just had a look. $500+ for a Ross Metal Jacket CA18 Single pulley unit (Part 304500). Yikes that a bit steep for me.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 17:59

Edited by cadet1200 on 2013/4/7 18:36:57

Home away from home
From Flinders View, QLD
Group:
Registered Users
I machined my tripple CA18 tripple pully down to a twin pully. All went well until I started to clean up the face with a few light passes and it fell appart. I had cut off too much. So if the exa twin pully is a similar design I would not remove anymore than half of the pully so I am thinking 1 or 2 ribs will be fine. But that being said I dont know how the twin pully is designed so you might be risking your shiney PWR intercooler if you cut off too much and it lets go one day.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 2:24

From MOOROODUC. Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Andrew 500 bucks will buy you another redesign of your intercooler and radiator setup i'm sure

Pity though - sounds like you were making progress

Posted on: 2013/4/8 3:26
Green Sedan #2 (Current build: DEMAC's 1200 Sedan)
Brown 4 door AUTO Sedan for sale...

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah 1 step forward and 2 steps back.....seems to be the progress I'm making .

I sent an email to Ross to see if they did a single pulley in their cheaper 'Nexus' range, but they don't. They quoted $573.00 plus tax for the 'metal jacket' version.

Was going to send my pulley to a local engineer to be machined but from what Bundy and others are saying that's fraught with danger. It's either going to fall apart during the machining, or worse still...become a projectile in the engine bay.

Looks like it's either find a different radiator or go with a thinner cooler. Only other option would be to move motor back a bit....but that's way to much work!

Demacoz you might need to take me for a spin in your ute to re-ignite my enthusiasm!

Posted on: 2013/4/8 6:26

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
I might be able to help with a dampened pulley!

They where available as a ca16s and ca18s and ca18i in UK and other latin american countries with a single V belt pulley. There could be a Nissan Part Number and Ill be in for one as well if thats the case as im also in Melbourne.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 13:14

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
D - That sounds interesting. Let me know if you do locate a part number. I'll do some digging on internet and see if I can find anything. But by V-pulley you mean the older style fan belt don't you...so would also need to change waterpump and Alternator pulley to make it all work...although I'm sure those pulleys wouldn't be to hard to source compared to the crank pulley. Definitely worth some further investigation.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 16:15

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.