Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

E series OHC engine swap.
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
Group:
Registered Users
Has anybody ever swapped in a "E" series OHC engine into a 1200 or 120Y Datsun? The "E" series came in the Nissan Sentra,has about the same size as the "A" series,so it would be an easy swap ,considering suspension would not be affected much,weight distribution would be almost the same,and there are lots of performance parts for the"E" series,there are even "E" series turbos. I think it would be a good transplant,not the fastest car on earth,but a fun fast and efficient one.
Jaime

Posted on: 2002/7/22 5:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: E series OHC engine swap.
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
There is a discussion of how similar the A15 and E15 are in the topic EFI - Turboing A Series. The main worries are that the E15 is somewhat longer and doesn't have similar mounting points -- but I don't think anyone had tried it at that time.

Posted on: 2002/7/22 5:47

Group:
Registered Users
DDGONZAL: Do you know of any applications Nissan used the E series as a RWD car around the world? Anybody around that has any knowledge of such a transplant,let us know. The reason I got interested in the E 16 is that it would be a good transplant for those who do not want to work on suspension modifications and ECU and wiring work. An E series would be a swap with minimal work. Perhaps nissan had the e series in a nissan rwd car somewhere in the world.
Jaime

Posted on: 2002/7/22 22:31

Home away from home
From Wellington New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
I don't remember a rear drive aplication but I helped put an E15 turbo into a 1200 10 yrs ago. The rear drive gearbox matchs all but one hole on the back of the block from memory. To keep things simple we left the distributer coming out the back of the head and cut a hole in the firewall to clear it.

Posted on: 2002/7/22 23:39

Group:
Registered Users
That is cool.So it was made at least once. The distributor hole in the firewall is no big deal,you can weld a metal "cup" to close the firewall from the interior and that would make it fine. About the missing bolt in the gear box,you guys drove it like that or did you guys do an adaptation? Any pictures?...probably not, but is good begining to know is has been done.
Jaime

Posted on: 2002/7/23 0:59

Home away from home
From Stone Age somewhere in U.S.A.
Group:
Registered Users
think about it real hard.............
the E series OHC enging was used only in front wheel drive models.
the turbo version was EFI only, and with the distributor going out the back of the head, it kind of makes it a no brainer.
there are much better engines that you can easily aquire and transplant.
besides, the early ones mainly the E-15 were prone to cracking cylinder heads and blowing head gaskets.
neat idea, just not too practical.

Posted on: 2002/7/23 4:19

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
I don't know of any RWD Es. Search the forum for discussions about the GA engines, but that didn't sound too promising either. The CA series is light, and the CA20 is in a lot of US models (200sx, I think). An imported CA18 Turbo is considered by many to be the best swap due to light weight and super-hp potential. The SR20 is considerably heavier but has more stock hp than the CA18-- someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The swap I have considered and might do in the future is a KA24. It's not a real lightweight, but has two advantages:

- dirt cheap (think of all those Nissan Hardbody pickups rusting away)

- cubic inches. It's the biggest Nissan four

Plus it comes in either carb or EFI -- If we hadn't already learned all the tricky stuff about carburetors, we'd find the EFI easier to understand and work on. It's a lot smoother, plus the ones with MAF are self-tuning when you add all those mild hop-up parts, fuel economy is better ... etc. See "How to have EFI in 7 Wires or Less".

Posted on: 2002/7/23 5:36

From Arlington, TX, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the mention of my article.

FWIW, KA24E's never came with carbs in the US, only a downdraft throttle body (truck), and multi-port EFI (89-91 240SX). They may have had them in other markets, though?

Yes, hooking up the EFI for a KA is pretty simple. For the best in output and relative ease, I'd suggest what I'm doing with mine. I'm installing a Z20E with EFI. Then later on when it's no longer enough power (it never is ), I'm going to add a turbo. Or you could just start with a Z18ET (destroked Z20 with a factory turbo). I think the factory turbo will hit the LHD steering box, though. A Z20E is less weight than a KA24E, and they are just as plentiful and CHEAPER.

This swap uses all US-spec parts and is pretty simple. Tim's done one already and we are doing another to "Gil" as we speak. Then mine will come together later this year.

Posted on: 2002/7/23 15:24

From Arlington, TX, USA
Group:
Registered Users
Also, if you do a CA swap, make sure it's the JDM-spec CA18DET, not the US-spec CA18ET. The DET is DOHC, and that is the "preferred" engine swap you speak of.

Posted on: 2002/7/23 15:27

Group:
Registered Users
I heared that the Z20 can benefit from using the KZ24 head. Is that viable?
Jaime

Posted on: 2002/7/23 18:16

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.