Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Aussie 1200 race coupes
Home away from home
From Invercargill, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
I am helping a friend who is currently preparing a Datsun 1200 coupe for CAMS Group Nc Historic Racing. We are looking for information on any Datsun 1200 coupes raced in Australia prior to 31st December 1972. CAMS is having difficulty accepting that these cars were raced during this period. Does anyone have any magazine articles, race programs, photos etc from the period that would authenticate our claim? Thanks all.

Posted on: 2002/7/25 8:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Aussie 1200 race coupes
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Mudgee NSW Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Ive seen video footage of 1200 coupes running at bathurst in the early 70's not 100% sure on the year i can look into it for you.they also had a datsun 1000 running aswell from memory.
cheesr Andrew

Posted on: 2002/7/25 9:16

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
i'm sorry to say that i think they only raced sedans in production touring before 1973.all the bathurst videos show 4 doors,including the infamous bursting windscreen shoot as the big'un rolls a factory sedan at forrest's elbow.the coupe raced by the factory after the introduction of group c rules in 1973 was a factory race series special,with little known modifications like 4 inches wider body work across the rear wheel arches.i know this as i know who has that car,& when they tried to put a 1200 coupe rear seat in it,it missed by 2 inches each side.the owners did have plans to convert it back from club car 2e to group c,but knowing Frog & Mick,it's probably in their dad's garage gathering dust.sorry if this doesn't help you,but if you need to know the names,email me at rob1@tech2u.com privately,& i'll let you know,they might even try to sell you the thing.ps if you need a genuine option 1 close ratio 1:1 5 speed,i know who's got one of these little beasts,i sold it to him not long ago.

Posted on: 2002/7/25 10:01

Home away from home
From Invercargill, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Andrew and Paul.
Yeah Andrew would you mind checking up for me on the year. Doesn't sound too hopeful from what Paul is saying.
Interesting that there is another wide coupe out there. I tracked down one of the Bathurst coupes last year and the owner told me the same story about dropping a coupe rear seat in and finding it wasn't wide enough. Wonder if we are talking about the same person? Thanks for the info - love driving those option ones - I've got one in NZ in my coupe. Have to make do with my N10 dog-leg at the moment! Hope we can turn something up about racing coupes way back when.

Posted on: 2002/7/25 10:33

From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
how much would the gearbox go for?

Posted on: 2002/7/25 13:39

Home away from home
From Wellington New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
I''ll start digging through my pile of old Aussie Auto Actions and Motor Racing News. I would be really surprised if no one hadn't competed in a coupe somewhere in Oz. As for that ex Bathurst coupe I'd give my left nut for it!!! I've got one from Japan and the US and also would love to find the ex factory coupe that Janspeed ran in England and then Belgium. A Bathurst car would be the icing on the cake. From what I have learnt the 1:1 5 speed and the bodyshell are the only bits that are original as raced aren't they?? Talking to guys in Oz years ago they mentioned some pretty trick parts that were'nt spotted by scrutineers like an alloy radiator , front calipers and rear drums and an alloy diff head and housing.!!!

Posted on: 2002/7/25 21:06

From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
if it is any help i have a magazine article on a factory preped coupe that was run at bathurst. I will dig it out this weekend and scan it. It was (from memory) baby poo brown with two black strips on the bonnet with "datsun logo" on it. Also i think it was based on the A12 donk.

Posted on: 2002/7/25 23:33

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
ian,good news bad news i think.had at look at the original question,& a think about it,& while i don't think anyone ran coupes in either improved production or production touring,i think a good case could be made for running one now.the way to find out is contact the appendix j association in your state,& put the question to them.they are more likely to at least be interested,rather than a cams office person,who has no real power in the decision.the appendix j association contact for nc in nsw is dominic truelove,his phone number is 9654-2080.you could also contact the historic & sports racing association in sydney,the person to talk to is andrew percy,his phone number is 9680-3137.this information came from someone not in the appendix j group,but quite close to them.i know this is going on some,but the datsun factory team drivers at that time were james lang-peach & john roxburgh,mr roxburgh is still involved with cams,& the other is ,i think,a motoring journalist somewhere,don't ask me where,i don't read newspaper motoring sections,i get enough car adds in magazines.the reason i say you might have a good case is that a lot of cars that weren't raced at that time are now being raced ie 71 mach 1 mustangs weren't exactly thick on the ground then.the bad news is you could always run a sedan,disc brakes were optional on sedans & wagons,just nobody knew about it,(thats what we use to tell scrutineers in type 1).be interesting to see what the specifications you have to run to,1200 block,a12 4 speed,h145 diff maybe.good luck with your build up,hope this is better news than my last reply.paul.

Posted on: 2002/7/26 0:33

Home away from home
From NSW South Coast
Group:
Registered Users
whats the story on the wider coupe. was it wider both ends or just the back ( must have looked funny).was the track wider also, it would probably be similar to a sunny track
sounds interesting
by allan

Posted on: 2002/7/26 6:30

Not too shy to talk
From Sydney Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Teretonga, have a look at autopics.com.au it is a site with pictures from bathurst and other races through the years. I had a look and they have a couple of photos of 1200 sedans prior to the date you posted and a couple of coupes after the date. The photos have the number of the car, the year raced and the drivers names. I hope this helps your cause.
Kel.

Posted on: 2002/7/26 12:38

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.