Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Reproduction panels or repair originals?
Just popping in
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has any advice regarding repro panels for a 1200 ute?

Specifically the ones sold by Muscle Car Parts in Sydney - http://www.allmusclecarparts.com.au/w ... atsun/1200-ute-sedan.html

Wondering if it's worth beating all the original panels or just removing them and replacing with new ones? By the time I beat, fill, sand, etc... I'd say I would be better off just replacing all the panels.

Would they be a thinner metal? More likely to rust? Not fit properly?

Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2013/10/24 16:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Reproduction panels or repair originals?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
Group:
Registered Users
Aftermarket panels have been covered a million times on this forum. I will sum it up for you. Taiwanese panels needs some work to make them fit. This involves massaging and elongating holes etc.

I personally have replaced every panel I could get hold of. There was no way I was going to spray my car an know that it is full of big underneath. Plus on the upside the panels are lighter which means the car goes faster

Posted on: 2013/10/25 0:40

Group:
Registered Users
All of the Taiwanese panels I got were a pretty good fit. Not a lot of work to get them to fit. I got them sent to wa from the panel place in Brisbane.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 0:42

From Melbourne Australia (and likely under the car)
Group:
Registered Users
The rust won't (or shouldn't) be an issue, since you are getting em 'new' you can put a good coat of paint on both sides, which is a very good way to prevent rust. And you'd be waiting years for it to show up if you prepped and painted them when you get em. That's far more of a factor than the fact the re-pro panels are thinner. They will bend more easily, so you have to watch if you park it near a milk bar and some tool decides to sit on or lean against the front guards while waiting for their fish n chips (they are thin enough that you can put a dent in them in that situation, they won't crumble to pieces, but they will get a dimple or two potentially) Apparently the main fitment issue of the front guards is the one bolt tab at the top rear near the door hinge. As it's been explained to me (I have a panel of this type but it was already fitted when I got it) you bolt just that one bolt in then pull the panel forward and it bends that tab rearward enough so the whole lot can then be lined up (this will make sense if it's in front of you) and the other thing is the fitment hole points for the front headlight surround /bonnet edge trim piece may need to be drilled as they are solid when you get them. Those trim pieces are available new too (I'll find the ebay link if it can't be easily found)

Posted on: 2013/10/25 8:40

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
+1 Also, If they are the chung fu chin brand they need a bit of work where the panel meets the wiper/sill panel as the radii are different. (on the coupe anyhow) They are far from perfect but a half decent bodyshop will make them look good Fairly easy. I found that being a bit thinner helped me roll the guards easier!.

Posted on: 2014/10/23 4:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]