« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: 1200 Ute - Slow progress
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Quote:
Next big hurdle for me will be getting it to run with twin dellortos rather than the single down draught that it has always had. (any suggestions?)

Suggest getting Dellorto DHLA 40s with 30 mm venturis. 32mm venturis will also work on a stock A15, or even 34s if you often shift at 6000 RPM. Eurocarb sells reconditioned ones.

Also recommend obtaining a matched pair, rather than trying to buy one more to match your current single dellorto.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 1:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
I think the best advice one could give you is to get the engine running with the downdraft first. Get your timing spot on and complete the run in period if you need to. You're doing yourself a favour by eliminating all your variables that may contribute to an engine unwilling to start, run, idle etc.

Remove the down draft and put it aside as your reference set if things go wrong.

The trick with the twin carburettors is to persevere and begin from a base reference. Get the engine to idle first and then always work to adjust one carburetor to the other, avoid adjusting both of them at the same time unless you know what you're doing.

Once you think you have both carbs 'close' to each other you can then readjust the reference carb and adjust the other to suit. Making adjustments in rounds is a good technique and try adjusting one component rather than multiple components at once, otherwise it can get frustrating.

The main components of adjustment are mixture, balance and the accelerator pump settings. Seeing as you have dellortoes I am pretty sure they are externally adjustable (acc pump). For me the balance is the most common to go out of adjustment and can give symptoms indicative of mixture problems. Balance is also a tricky one to get right, I have found synchrometers to be no good, unless they are expensive and high quality, and have found a length of heather hose to be the most effective tuning device (stick one end in the carb bore and the other in your ear and listen to the vaccuum notes of each bore, or bore pair, adjust the carb to make the sounds as similar as possible).

Keep a fire extinguisher nearby in case something goes really wrong. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2014/12/29 9:31

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
First mechanical hurdle....

Have a 60a 5 speed, before fitting in the ute shifts into all 5 fwd gears and reverse no problems.

Now mounted in the ute it selects 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th only. The gear lever moves through the gate all the way to the right but can't or won't select 5th or reverse. This is while the car is stationary and not running.

Any ideas? Or anyone experienced this before? Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/1/9 10:29

Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
hi listen this is just an idea --- have'nt worked on one in years [last was approx 1976] I was young and wild and buggered the 2nd gear-- replaced it and tried to put it together. I just pushed the bell/h and tail piece on and decided to test the shifting and what a balls up [I thought e/thing must be tight].I turned the screws in tight [centre piece]the screws with ball bearing and spring if i remember correctly.They go into the notches on your shaft 1st to 2nd.Every time i wanted to change it would push the whole box apart.Being the first time i sat for hrs and then it was do you want to try again or phone a friend --so phone a friend it was --so of course he told me how it works and that i should be able to shift the shaft with my hand.released the screw and it worked.before that one of the teeth with spring under it somehow came out but i was lucky to see it.Sometimes it's better to just take your time and when in a hurry just walk away have a smoke [not a drink]and come back and check e/thing cos if you sit with a thing for hrs you go blind [to mistakes]when you return you think''hell how come i did'nt see that if it was a snake would've bitten me''For pro's it's easier because they do it every day but even they make mistakes.I would just open and make sure something has not come loose and see if you can move all the shafts with the palm of your hand and then replace b/housing and t/piece

Posted on: 2015/1/9 14:20

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Well, a productive weekend.

Majority of the wiring has now been completed, just a few smaller things like thermos, radio and a dicky indicator to sort out. Got the engine to fire (first go actually) after sitting on the stand for over a year. Only used the single downdraft but its a solid start. Also managed to resolve the above mentioned gearbox issue and now have 5th and Reverse back = Thanks Mal (Weekend1000). Also, thanks to Chris, DD and Shaun for your suggestions in overcoming some of the other hurdles...

Posted on: 2015/1/12 11:31

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Video clip of the first start up in over 18months

http://instagram.com/p/xthr5ntKib/

Posted on: 2015/1/13 20:13

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
glad to hear of the progress

Quote:
managed to resolve the above mentioned gearbox issue and now have 5th and Reverse back = Thanks Mal (Weekend1000).
What caused the shifter problem?

Posted on: 2015/1/13 22:29

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Shifter problem was caused by the 'bung' that was supplied as part of the B Projects gearbox cross member.

Basically if you screw it in to far you end up effectively stopping the shift from traveling over far enough to make either the shift up to 5 or down to reverse. There must only only be a millimeter or so in it but when you think how the sensor works it makes sense. All Credit to Weekend1000 for that solution.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 11:12

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Ah, yes, the reverse switch is removed and a plug fitted. Thanks for warning us about this problem.

Posted on: 2015/1/14 20:08

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
Been a long time since I've posted on here... ute has come a long way since last update.

Link is to a gallery on FB from a local Photographer at what is know around town as the "Chrome Bumper Cruise". First Friday night of each month. Only 1 Datsun there but some cool cars none the less.

https://www.facebook.com/Craig-Radclif ... 1496580473888886/?fref=ts

Posted on: 2015/11/23 5:29

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.