Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

can I use a a12 for an inboard boat?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry if I should have posted this in of topic but im looking at making a 10-12ft v hull boat. Acording to the wiki an a12 can rev at 5500 rpm all day and I think with an oil cooler and sufficient coolingi can bring that up to atleast 6000 rpm. A stock a12 is rated at 69hp@6000 rpm and has about 95nm of torque. Looking at 60hp outboards they seem to have around the same hp and torque rating as a a12. Now all I have been researching tells me that the a12 can be used as a marine engine. Am I missing something? I know this is a car forum but im hoping there might be someone who can shed some light. My plans are to supercharge and turbo charge a stock a12 with with a oval port head

Posted on: 2014/10/25 7:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: can I use a a12 for an inboard boat?
Home away from home
From Malaysia
Group:
Registered Users
had been done. A14 though not a12. so it definitely doable.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Boats

Posted on: 2014/10/25 12:53

Home away from home
From Malaysia
Group:
Registered Users
L series boat thread. so i see why not on A series.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/25147-datsun-boat/

if you blowthrough supercharge it, dip the intercooler in water. super intercooler, unlimited coolant LOL

Posted on: 2014/10/25 13:01

Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
Is it possible to use lake/river water as cooling just like any jetski or outboard? I'd assume salt water would destroy in no time. But is it a possible thing with fresh water? Obviously using a filter :)

Sounds like a cool idea and with supercool supercharging.

Have you found what weight difference is between the similar power outputing outboard motors you found and the a series, Matt?

Posted on: 2014/10/25 21:42

Just can't stay away
From stinking hot cairns
Group:
Registered Users
Yes you can use whatever engine you want as a marine engine. It would be best to use a closed cooling system but not absolutely necessary, you will need an additional water pump that you could get from a mercruser or get a new jabsco item.

Posted on: 2014/10/26 1:33

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Well I was thinking a 10ft wooden or fiberglass vee bottom, a12 supercharged and turbocharged just like I think the ma09ert Nissan motor. I was hoping the supercharger will get my low down boost and the turbo kicks in later. To what rpms I haven't looked that far. I have looked at 60hp outboards and the torque seemed to be almost the same. Everytime I look at modding something the strong little a series seems to always be a good reliable option. I cant see this being any different. I was thinking of using a water to water heat exchanger and adapting a v8 water cooled exhaust manifold with a simple adapter on the head. Do u think this would be sufficient to keep the temp down in the engine compartment?

Posted on: 2014/10/26 9:45

Just can't stay away
From stinking hot cairns
Group:
Registered Users
no point in adapting the mercruser manifold, intake would be in the way and the spacing is way off and they are #OOPS#! if you are turbocharging you would be better off making a mixer after the turbo or just wrap the pipes and dump the exhaust over the transom. what drive system are you going to use?

Posted on: 2014/10/27 10:00

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure. I would like to fiddle around with a jet type system maybe from a jetski. Also what do u mean by mixer? Is that a section of pipe that is water cooled and would bolt to the exhaust manifold flange? Excuse the questions but im still learning boats :p

Posted on: 2014/10/27 10:16

Just can't stay away
From stinking hot cairns
Group:
Registered Users
In turbo marine engines the mixer is a pipe that introduces your raw water (sea water) into your exhaust after the turbo for muffling, cooling and an exit for your raw water. there are a few things to be considered when setting this up.
#1 exhaust angel: you must have a vary steep exhaust angel after the turbo as you don't want water draining back into your exhaust ports.
#2 aqua lift and or flapper valve: an aqua lift is a great muffler and will stop water being forced back up the system on deceleration and reversing. the flapper valve will just help prevent water going up the exhaust.
i personally would keep away from the jet ski stuff and use a direct drive with a soft clutch.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 11:21

Guest_
A series = boat anchor.
Levey would be best to ask any naughtical questions about seamen and blowing seals.

Posted on: 2014/10/27 21:03

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.