Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Turbo placement?
Just can't stay away
From socal, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I'm trying to fit a VF37 to my a12 and the turbo is too big to fit under my side draft bike carbs. Has anyone seen a turbo mounted on the left side of the engine bay on the a series?

I'm thinking of mounting the turbo on the left side where the battery is and routing the turbo using a long tube 4-2 header(1.25" primary 1.75" collected) the under the tranny and up near the fire wall. Of course I'd have to relocate the ignition coil and fuel line also rewire to avoid the heat.

Dose anyone think this would work? And will it spool?

I took this from some Subaru forum if it helps
IHI VF37

(430cfm, 250-325whp, Modification Required)

This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the JDM V8-V9 Subaru Impreza WRX STI. The VF37 is a twin-scroll turbo that uses a thrust bearing design
Expect to achieve full boost with the proper mods and a quality tune between 2800-3300rpms.

Posted on: 2014/11/29 2:17
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Turbo placement?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From East New Britain, Papua New Guinea
Group:
Registered Users
The turbo sounds too big to me although I'm not familiar with that type. Can't offer any valuable input on the turbo I'm afraid. Sounds like a really interesting build though, awesome.

Regarding the exhaust system it sounds fine and you'd proabably be surprised with the performance of the system. If you consider the flow characteristics it could be very beneficial having it installed later down the exhaust line however I am not sure if the exhaust temperatures are ideal, perhaps it's a good compromise?

Turbo charging through multiple carbs is an interesting concept, what do you hope to achieve?

Where will your dump pipe go? Back down along the firewall along the same line as the turbo exhaust supply line?

Posted on: 2014/11/29 5:44

From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
Something I'm considering is cutting down the engine mount and modifying the bracket to make more room for a turbo, it's pretty tight under there.

Posted on: 2014/11/29 9:36

Just can't stay away
From socal, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I'm trying to achieve full boost (14psi) at about 5k. With my current head build(h10). But down the road I plan to go h72 ported and by then I plan to push more psi with water/meth injection.

The turbo exhaust will be routed the same way down the firewall then behind the right front tire. Doing this I would expect the heat to build up more and help keep manifold(exhaust) pressure down. Also I plan to wrap each individual pipe leading to the turbo to aid in keeping the exhaust hot.

Posted on: 2014/11/29 17:33

From Ballarat Victoria
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't used one of those turbos before, but think it would be a great choice. I'm very confident you will see full boost by 5k. Regarding the exhaust, to get early boost, keep the runners as short as possible and the diameter smaller than the ports.

Using extractors to form part of the turbo manifold would work well on something like a land speed record car or maybe ski race boat. An application where you are wanting good throttle response and early boost it would be the opposite of what you would need. Turbines love heat and strong engine pulses(thus small short runners).

Posted on: 2014/11/30 11:40

From Snohomish, WA USA
Group:
Registered Users
Not that it will work for you but I've seen drifter cars with the turbo in the rear of the car and the intake is piped up to the front. There is a lag but for them, they don't care. Cool concept.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 17:34
Forge CP Pistons/ Eagle Rods
Eaton M62 SC 10 lbs. Boost / 150hp Progressive Nitrous
GM 2 Speed Poweglide/Transbrake 3500 Stall
Ford 8.8 Posi/4.11

Home away from home
From Central coast NSW
Group:
Registered Users
I have seen a 350z that was twin charged and the turbo was in behind the rear bumper a lot of lag I guess but with the super charger it wouldn't have mattered but I was amazed at the out of the box thinking to get stuff like that to work...

Posted on: 2014/11/30 21:36

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
better off ditching the bike carbs and mounting the turbo more coventionally IMO. But even if you 'must' keep the bike carbs with your turbo, there should be room to mount the turbo on the same side, just a bit further forward?

Posted on: 2014/11/30 22:55

Just can't stay away
From socal, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I'm keeping the bike carbs because I've already sent time and money to mod them for my setup and just to try something new. I am also running a hot N/A cam so I am trying to keep manifold pressure down. Also using the header would be a lot cheeper it will cost me about 4x more to make a custom fount mount manifold around the alternator +the carbs. I've decided to attempt to mount the turbo on the other side.

Posted on: 2014/12/1 4:26

Home away from home
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
why not rear mount it, that's what I will be doing bosch make a return pump..?

cheers anthony

Posted on: 2014/12/1 5:49

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.