Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Towing a 10ft caravan - 1000/1200
Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
Hey guys

I'm looking at buying a small vintage 10ft caravan. My intentions are not purely to have it behind my 1k wagon but I was wondering if it's possible providing I had enough power.

Obviously rear would need to be looked at and I was thinking airbags with the leaf setup to level it out as needed.

Is it possible or too dangerous?

Anything else I should consider for towing?

Has anyone done it before?

Cheers guys

Posted on: 2015/2/3 7:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Towing a 10ft caravan - 1000/1200
Home away from home
From Melbourne, Aus.
Group:
Registered Users
My concern about towing with a Datsun 1000 would be its ability to brake being such a light car.
I'd be careful how much weight I was towing.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 7:47

Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the reply.

I am looking for replies like this. Would a solution be to put brakes on the caravan itself?

I have disc breaks all round in my 1000.

But I do understand what you mean as in even with as much break power the caravan could throw the car forward whether or not I have traction... :S

Posted on: 2015/2/3 8:00

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
My brother towed a van all over Eastern Australia with his Datsun 1000 back in the early 70s, it was a 10'6" van of the day. He did not have any worries, it was his rally 1000 with beefed up shocks only. Go for it and enjoy.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 12:01

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Matt you can borrow my camper truck otherwise, had a brand new engine put in her.
or are you set on a classic looking unit for the fun of it?

Posted on: 2015/2/3 13:48

Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the offer Dave but yea its purely for fun :)

We just went to pottsville for a week and it was great but i'm getting over having a tent when it's pouring rain. Always manages to get in somehow!! And it's nice to be off the floor.

Violet - thanks for that! My 1000 happens to have navara shocks in the rear so awesome :)

I think airbags will be a must though. Especially for the normal ride height I have at the moment.

Anyone elses input still welcome!

Posted on: 2015/2/3 20:10

Group:
Registered Users
hahaha finally you decided on tent! cant believe you slept in a vb10 must be some kind of record! especially that you are 30cm longer than possible!

Dont forget they are front Navara shockies! even so you prob be able to get them as adjustable pump up ones like peeps used to do in the 70s and 80s for the rear shocks of most live axle cars towing caravans.

Posted on: 2015/2/4 9:34

Quite a regular
Group:
Registered Users
Throughout the '90s I towed serious loads very often with my stock 1200. Not a van, but heavier. Think 8x5 trailers loaded to the roof with rock and roll gear, and the like. In it's restored form today, it still has it's tow bar attached.

Yes you're right. You'll never have problems getting underway. But you'll certainly have issues pulling up in a hurry. My 1200 has stock drums front and back and stock unassisted single cylinder brakes.

It's all about the driving - leaving plenty of space between you and whatever is in front and basically driving the thing like you would a big heavy truck. Up and down the gears, anticipating whats coming up and being ready in advance.

i would generally be sure to load the car itself heavy also - boot full of heavy power cables, back seat full of heavy amplifiers and other crap, front seats full of human flesh. Ole' 1200 never broke.

I have vivid memories of tearing down the M4 on 42 degree days with the sun belting down. 1200 full of gear and heavy trailer on the back. Foot flat on the floor and never taken off except for (frequent) gear changes. Cruising past lines of other overheated cars. My own temp gauge right on overheat but the thing never actually boiled over.

There were a few moments when a sudden need to stop would see both feet on the brake pedal and a lot of pressure in the drivers' seat to pull it up. But she never let me down once on a tow. Ever.

10" van? No worries. As long as you don't exceed standard weight limits. If you can put electric brakes on it then all the better.

ZM

Posted on: 2015/2/4 11:42

Just can't stay away
From Sunshine Coast
Group:
Registered Users
Great thanks for the replies.

I picked her up yesturday and I'm chuffed! A little tatty around the edges but better than most trailers/campers etc

Dave so wait do you mean that the front shocks of my car are navara shocks or the rear shocks are shocks from a navaras front end?

ZM i agree and I think even with electric brakes and all the essentials that I'll still stay way way way back from any tailgates. Thats pretty impressive with drum brakes!

Once we make an aluminium roof rack we will be putting stand up paddle boards on the roof and it will be me, my wife and our too boys plus the baby seats plus a boot load of stuff so should be enough in the front.

Sweet well that settles it!

Proof of someone actually doing a heavy load is enough for me :)

Posted on: 2015/2/4 20:50

Group:
Registered Users
Front Nav shocks on the back! :))
Fronts you have to change they are 45-46 years old!
depending how long Datsun had them on the shelve
before fitting could be 48 years!~

Posted on: 2015/2/5 5:16

Edited by D on 2015/2/5 5:52:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.