Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Anyone on the forum do Metal Polishing?
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
G'day guys,

About to start putting my engine together. Need a couple things polished. Was wondering if anybody on the site has the skills and tools to do so that might be interested in taking on the job.

I've had a shop quote the job and it's a little scary considering how small the parts are.I appreciate there is a bit of work in it but you never know if you don't ask. Will pay for time of course.

Need the A12 timing cover, new water pump, water outlet and alternator housing done.

Cheers,
Joey.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 8:48

Edited by ruredi on 2015/5/6 9:08:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Anyone on the forum do Metal Polishing?
Home away from home
From Sydney Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Easy to do go and buy a Dremel kit and some metal polish and do it yourself much cheaper than you would have been quoted and you end up with a useful tool as well into the bargain.

Bunnings if you are in Australia seem to have all the Dremel stuff as well as most other bigger tool suppliers including the buffing bits needed as you will need small buffing pads such as Dremel supply in their kits.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 11:49

Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
cant agree more.I've got a dremel --you can cut small rust patches,cut f/glass,polish,grind etc --they great --R800'00 [rsa] so AU$80 approx.

Posted on: 2015/5/6 16:05

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
I use a dremel type rotary tool that was about $15-20. I bought it to do a port blend thinking why not give the cheapy a go, it's still working long after! My only complaint is that the burrs can walk out of the collet meaning you have to stop and push it back in from time to time. Got mine off Hobby King. You might find the Ozito is a similar deal...

Posted on: 2015/5/6 22:33

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Might be cheaper to send them to the ebay guys in the states that do the L series rocker covers and other L series bits. See them online quite often. Very cheap for lucky L series guys.

Posted on: 2015/5/7 1:56

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Postage alone would be more than the cost of the tools.

Posted on: 2015/5/7 2:16

From Goulburn NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Hey mate I did the cam and cam gear covers along with a few brackets myself on my ca18,very easy but very dirty job.I bought everything u need from a company in the UK and I think it was around $50 aud and I have only used about a 1/4 of what I bought.Also they have stuff for drills,grinder and bench grinder so u have a choice which way u would like to go.

So what u need is a sisal wheel,a colour stitch wheel and a G loose fold wheels.

U also need two different compounds that come in a bar(brown and blue)

Last thing to buy would be veinna lime.

So the procedure is u need to sand any paint of what u want to polish first(makes it easier)then put some off the brown compound on the sisal wheel and give the part a hit all over it will look black(do the part a couple off times for best result)then give it a wipe with the vienna lime.

Next put some blue compound on the colour stitch wheel(a little softer than the sisal wheel)and repeat step one.

Then put some more of the blue compound on the G loose fold wheel and do that a couple off times,next put the vienna lime on a rag again rub the #OOPS# of and u should have a mirror finish,i suggest buying a kg off vienna lime and the bars of compound 500grams and up.That way if u want to do anything in the future u have it.

http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/

Posted on: 2015/5/7 7:15

Home away from home
From melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
If your too lazy to do yourself, like myself. I suggest go to large motorcycle shop and look on ad's board or inquire. Always heaps of blokes advertising polishing rims to engine casings etc, but never cheap. If you do decide to yourself, I suggest you use a bench grinder and buffing wheel for the 1st run, heaps quicker. And Dremel for the next polish and final polish. I have done heaps of motorbikes that way in the past.Problem with just polished after a while they get those white fade spots from drip and water marks especially on alloy.Maybe throw a coat of clear over. Or spend and nickel plate

Posted on: 2015/5/7 7:26

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
You can also go all black, all blue or all whatever colour you like
for the timing cover and water pump to save money.
Makes engines look old school and just using a little chrome helps
eg.
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/i ... pload/s--xNFVtdDq--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/ukeuaeojw4mwz6elsgbg.jpg

Posted on: 2015/5/7 14:47

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Those links don't seem to be working D?

Posted on: 2015/5/8 0:20

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.