More Black and dry i would say dave.

Trav

Posted on: 2015/7/4 3:18

Re: A14 help please
Home away from home
From Penrith, Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Drained oil and replaced with 20w60 as i was unsure what was in there from previous owner and 5L came out. WTF!!! No wonder it was struggling so much and the catch can was filling so quickly. I dont get it though. I thought the excess would have just burnt off and i would have seen plumes of white smoke. Anyways whacked some 20w60 in there and it ran the best it ever has. Plugs still blackening up though with dry powdery residue and it still missing a little. So i guess its time to attack the carby. Anyone got any ideas?

Trav

Posted on: 2015/7/4 6:22

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Haha, that'll do it. 3 litres is all it takes.

Start with setting the float level per Weber instructions. Have you checked the actual fuel pressure at the carb?

Posted on: 2015/7/4 6:26
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
No i havent but i have tried 4 different pumps and the one i have in it seems to make it run best.

Posted on: 2015/7/5 8:51

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Very good. Now's the time to test the fuel pressure. The regulator may not work right without a boost signal or something else may be outta spec. In any case the test will tell you. Or just bypass the regulator and see if it runs better. Do the normal procedure, no-cost easy stuff first before you start opening up the carburetor.

Posted on: 2015/7/5 8:56

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Ok so checked fuel pressure and its now on 3.2Psi. Also checked and adjusted float levels. Runs much better except i can only give it 3/4 throttle. If i go any further to full throttle its starts to miss really bad and lose power till i back off a bit. Any ideas on what is causing this. Would love to be able to give it a full boot now and then.

Cheers
Trav

Posted on: 2015/8/10 1:30

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Weber secondary cct. if coasting is OK and full throttle is terrible. Check for cleanliness and function of the carb. Compressed air is great for checking these things. Possibly blocked pump jet nozzle as well. Does it bog down or pop when at full throttle. pop /carb backfire is a lean condition , bog down is to rich. Sounds like it consumes Oil none the less. being a former turbo build i'm going with broken rings. Performed a compression test? Does compression improve if you squirt some oil into the cylinder? if not. the valve guides could be out of tolerance as well.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 2:58

Edited by benny on 2015/8/10 5:53:26

-----------------------------------------
1971 B110 Sedan GX Spec
1970 KB110 Coupe Track Car
1970 KB10 Coupe
-----------------------------------------
S13 caliper b...

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
It bogs down. It coasts along ok. Will try the oil into cylinder thing but last time i checked compression it was fine. Worth another check though.

Trav

Posted on: 2015/8/10 3:10

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Glad to hear it's running better.

About the bogging down. It indicates too much fuel, so it's unlikely to be a blocked jet. Could it be that the previous owner fitted too big a secondary jet? 32/36 baseline jets are secondary=primary, with the secondary having a smaller air jet to richen that side up. Having secondary be +5 larger than primary jet is also fairly common. If yours has a secondary jet that is +25 larger that might be the problem.

Posted on: 2015/8/10 4:16

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Dave. I assume you mean the fuel jets? Im not sure whats in there but have spares from an old carb. Does 135 primary and 140 secondary sound right for fuel jets in a worked A14?

Thanks
Trav

Posted on: 2015/8/10 11:33

Edited by Trav on 2015/8/10 11:49:47

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.