Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Installed an Aluminum Radiator today
Not too shy to talk
From Gilbert Arizona, USA
Group:
Registered Users
I installed a new aluminum radiator today.

A couple years ago I had a leak fixed in the original radiator. And its been doing just an "ok" job of cooling since. The radiator shop at that time had to block off the bottom 2 or 3 tubes in order to fix the leak and they told me I was going to lose about 20% of my cooling capacity. As a result, on a 90+ day it would run at almost 3/4 on my gauge.

So, this week I bought a aluminum radiator on Ebay. Its a three row (compared to my stock 2 row). It was supposed to be a "direct replacement".

The install went pretty well. The holes didn't line up exactly so I had to do some slight filing on the radiator to get the holes to line up with the car. (you can see the elongated holes in the picture) But other than that the install was easy. Its in now and full of 50/50 coolant.

Also I was happy that I was able to mount my fan shroud to it as well. It actually fit with no mods.

This car is all stock and I guess I like the looks of the stock radiator better, but this one doesn't look bad either. I may consider having the original radiator re-cored at some point, but for now this one will do the job.

I took it for a test drive about 4pm (hottest part of today, almost 90f) and it did fantastic. Stayed just below 1/2 for the whole drive! Much better!

Anyway, just passing along the info..... Dale - AZ

Attach file:

jpg  GOPR0287-0001.jpg (114.48 KB)
16002_570089f45dd81.jpg 800X450 px

jpg  GOPR0290-0001.jpg (121.99 KB)
16002_57008a35a06d7.jpg 800X450 px

Posted on: 2016/4/3 4:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Installed an Aluminum Radiator today
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
I also have an eBay alloy radiator and had to file out the mounting holes (with a dremmel) to make it fit. Discovered that the radiator support panel is bent/ distorted while I was at it, the mounting points in the car aren't evenly spaced...

Keeps the A15 cool just fine.

Posted on: 2016/4/3 4:24

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Sounds good Dale. Which brand did you go with? there are so many on eBay and some don't fit as well as the one you got

Yeah those cheap aluminum radiators works rather well since they are so thick. No one can afford the good brass/copper kind, even the automakers cheaped out by making such thin radiators. The stock B110 radiator was barely adequate even when new

* B110 standard radiator $$
* B110 three-row GX radiator $$$
* N14 1.6 all aluminum radiator $
* N14 all aluminum SR20 radiator $$

Posted on: 2016/4/3 6:47

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
is there an issue with it corroding if you dont earth either engine or the radiator well?

Posted on: 2016/4/3 11:43

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
ddgonzal,
I read the info on this site and somewhere it mentioned radiators from "OZCP" and I bought one that looks just like that one. Your right there are many on Ebay. I believe there are two types of Aluminum radiators for our cars. 1) where the top and bottom tank taper down to the sides. 2) Where the top and bottom tank is flat all the way across to the sides.

Anyway, I think all the ones on Ebay with the taper are probably all the same. I purchased mine from a seller named "M2speed_racing". It was $138 (US) with free shipping. It came fast (California to Arizona).

So far I'm really happy with it. I'm using the cap that came with it. My temps yesterday were easily 25% cooler than with the orig radiator.

Also note, my car is an A/T and a couple sellers list this radiator as a manual only. The 1200 A/T trans doesn't run through the radiator so I think they are the same.

DattoMaster,
I have read about that issue on the net too. But after talking with several Z-car & 510 owners with Aluminum radiators. I don't believe its a real problem if you use distilled water 50/50 with antifreeze (coolant). I also checked with a couple of manufactures of Aluminum radiators and they said the same thing.... just use quality antifreeze with distilled water. Change it every few years.

Dale - AZ

Posted on: 2016/4/3 15:07

Not too shy to talk
Group:
Registered Users
I should also mention that I had a small problem with a leak at the drain plug. Luckily I always check for leaks with just plain water before I add antifreeze. Anyway, I kept getting a drip from the drain plug. So I figured the problem was with the o-ring seal. I ran to the local auto parts store and got a couple different styles of drain plug gaskets thinking that was the problem.

Well What I found was somehow the drain plug matting surface had a pretty good sized nick in it (see picture) and it was leaking water through this "nick". I think the radiator came with that nick because I was very careful not to hit it on anything. But I suppose its possible that I did, I just don't think so.

Anyway, I was able to get a file in there without removing the radiator to file it smooth. After a little more filing, it worked. No more drip.

I'm just adding this info so others might want to look at this before installing, or be even more careful than I was while installing it, in case I accidentally did it.

Here are before and after pics.

Attach file:

jpg  sIMG_6822.JPG (148.77 KB)
16002_57012c97909f6.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  sIMG_6828.JPG (118.83 KB)
16002_57012ca200a95.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2016/4/3 15:48

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Correct. There is no problem with aluminum radiators. Our engines have aluminum head & aluminum water pump so it's already important to use proper engine coolant mixture instead of 100% water

Posted on: 2016/4/5 0:50

Group:
Registered Users
all good info cheers! also sw33t engine bay love it, functional and original

Posted on: 2016/4/6 6:08

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
The corrosion is only a problem if the radiator sits on rubber mounts. Because your bolting it directly to the radiator support its earthed correctly.

Posted on: 2016/4/8 9:37

Group:
Registered Users
hah! rubber for protection is the root of the problem

Posted on: 2016/4/8 15:25

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.