Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Engine re-building website-Datsun Z Garage
Home away from home
From Fort Worth, Texas
Group:
Registered Users
Some of you may be familiar with this website. It is for the L series but should also pertain to its A series cousin. Good information on here and would like to hear any comments. There is reference to installing the oil pan gasket with RTV sealant. Some on the 1200 site recommend no sealant. Also curious about Glyptal paint that is mentioned. Please read and chime in......

http://datsunzgarage.com/rebuild/

Posted on: 2016/7/27 18:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Engine re-building website-Datsun Z Garage
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
RTV is good stuff -- Nissan used it on some modern engines. On the other hand, many, many people make a mess of it. If you use a gasket, then no RTV is needed but the pan rail must be straight and the bolts torqued to their low, low value. With RTV you use no gasket, and it may seal OK even if the bolts are overtightened and the oil pan is deformed. The danger with RTV is using too much, letting is squish into the oil pan and fragments of it getting into the oil system. It also looks unprofessional if too much is used. To prevent that, only use enough and let it tack up before assembly. Another way to avoid the problems is ... don't use RTV at all

Posted on: 2016/7/27 20:29

Home away from home
From Fort Worth, Texas
Group:
Registered Users
My Fel-pro gasket set just came in from NAPA and will pick it up sometime this week. Will post a picture of what I received. Its for the entire engine. Did you get a chance to read the write up on the weblink? They talk about using certain oil and break in procedures for a rebuild. Also mentions the datsun motor being internally balanced. I thought it was a good comprehensive article.

Posted on: 2016/7/27 21:32

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Yes, it's a good article, you won't go wrong following his advice

Engine break-in is important, tradition is to use a non-detergent oil so the rings will bed in

Engine break-in with a new cam installed: Don't let the engine idle. Immediately run it at 2000 RPM for 20 minutes to properly bed the lifters to the cam without damaging the lobes

Internally balanced, yes. Unlike certain engines (example: 400 Chevrolet V8) which have external balance parts like the flywheel and/or pulley dampener -- the crank, etc is still balanced, but the balance is not complete without the proper off-center weighted pulley & flywheel

Genuine Nissan parts are of such high tolerance (e.g. weigh the same) that if you replace a piston, the engine doesn't need rebalancing. However, aftermarket pistons may be heaver or lighter than the factory part -- or factory piston may be a different part number than the original piston, so if you weigh the replacement pistons and they are different the engine should be rebalanced. For example, there are at least four different genuine Nissan A15 pistons in the STD size

The article says:
Quote:
The factory says to replace the rod-bolts on every rebuild
For A-series engines, the factory service manual says nothing about replacing the rod bolts. Nissan Competition said they should be but they also incorrectly said they were stretch bolts. And the articles says that used bolts work great, same as people here have found

On his Fel-Pro gasket comments, I too have found them to be good. Except for the Fel-Pro print-o-seal type head gasket, which has leaked coolant in some instances

Posted on: 2016/7/28 1:10

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
I think I used Yamabond on the oil pan on the A15 (Yamabond is grey semi soft stuff used on motorcycle cases)

As for the rod bolts; on the A15 I think I used new bolts because I found them in some boxes of spares I had. On the A12 I reused rod bolts on multiple occasions, that motor saw 9200 RPMs so I wouldn't be worried on a street motor.

Tom

Posted on: 2016/7/28 6:25

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
* Yamabond 4
* ThreeBond 1104
* 3M Scotch-Seal 800

supposedly all the same, a silicone based product

Common in all auto parts stores is the similar formulation:
*Permatex Ultra Grey RTV

RTV comes in many varieties, from thick to thin, different colors and properties, high-temp, ultra-high temp, O2 sensor safe (or not), etc etc etc

Posted on: 2016/7/28 6:50

Home away from home
From Fort Worth, Texas
Group:
Registered Users
Any opinions on the Glyptal paint? I had no intentions of sealing/painting the inside of the block.

Posted on: 2016/7/28 14:54

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Waste of time, as the insides are coated with oil as soon as you run the engine. So it's no needed to prevent rust. I've worked on 40 year old Datsun engines that still run perfectly fine with just the standard block prep

Posted on: 2016/7/28 22:37

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
gains can be made with a crank scraper providing your camshaft gets enough oil
http://www.crank-scrapers.com/Datsun-Nissan_A%20ENGINE.html

Posted on: 2016/7/29 2:06

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.