Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Turbo or N/A Build A15
Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Hey boys just wanting some opinions here,

So currently i have a couple spare A15's one of them is bored 78mm with oringed block and i have couple spare H89 heads

I have also in my possession new tomei camgear, timing chain, tensioner, light weight pushrods, nismo double valve spings 32 intake and 38 exhaust valves to suit the h89, head gasket and everything else really there to do a good freshen up

With everything i have there currently and my twin 40 dcoe webers on redline manifold and equal length extractors im tempted to send the cam shaft off to camtech get a 257 @50 grind then spend around the $1500-$2000 putting work into the head and getting the engine all nice and fresh as a N/A build and with the parts i have and some good head porting i should hopefully be able to see around 120rwhp?? tell me if im dreaming

Or the other option is i have already a turbo manifold with t25 flange (frankthedolphintrainer) a 32/36 weber with a boost prep kit from turbo gemini and a whole range of jets to suit, yet with the turbo setup i wouldnt really bother doing a big cam grind just leave a stock cam but then of course need to purchase fuel pumps lines, fuel reg, probably put in a 2 liter surge tank as well and run it on around 7-10psi ill put in a AEM UEF Wideband and get the AFR right and should see the same rear wheel horsepower for the same cost but alot more torque, thus if i want to do a decent engine overhaul at the same time i would probably sell off the weber setup, extractors and fuel setup to be able to do a turbo side

i just am a little in the air which way to go, screaming engine that i have to rev the guts out of to 7200rpm in N/A form to get it up and going or turbo setup with the t25 turbo i have laying around will get up and moving sooner..

I have not really done a decent N/A build my A15 with the webers in there atm is not making anything and overkill with out the supporting mods really not making the most out of what parts i have laying around..

Would a Street/weekend track 120rwhp N/A be great fun? (thats if im dreaming to high for 120rwhp the dream is 136hp 100kw id be super over the moon with)

im open to all suggestions just trying to get a better thought process

Posted on: 2017/10/22 3:35

Re: Turbo or N/A Build A15
Home away from home
From WA perth
Group:
Registered Users
go turbo I got 270 atw do you want to sell one off your heads not touched

Posted on: 2017/10/22 3:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
270 ATW on an A-series?

please elaborate on this build as sounds wild..

Sorry mate as much as id love to sell off and help everyone own all the H89 heads its just not something i can really part with i do have a h75 id part with but yeah no one really that keen on a h75 haha

Posted on: 2017/10/22 4:04

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
120hp naturally aspirated sounds do-able. Just add new rod bolts since you'll be making twice the HP at high revs

But your turbo goals are low. Without all that work, a stock block/stock head will make 160hp turbo (see 160hp A12)

Posted on: 2017/10/22 19:13

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Toowoomba & New Jersey USA
Group:
Registered Users
I have both. Although my naturally aspirated engine is not built to the hill like you are planning. My two cents is go turbo you get your most bang for your buck. If you want to go the traditional route and keep it naturally aspirated but you're going to spend a fortune doing it.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 0:27

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
yeah I'm more leaning towards turbo, a really over the hill naturally aspirated for some spirited street drives and cruises really isn't a suitable option the engine would be made to rev and be driven hard its really not made to just be a slow old slug around town until you really get into the top end of the driving experience where 90% of driving isn't done unless on the track.

The 160hp a12 that Simon did years ago for the A12 is a good goal but id be happy to back it off keep it more reliable and save and the 120-130hp turbo is a reasonable and more than doable power range especially for the A15 that way I'm not going stupid and breaking diff's and gearboxes its just a good fun medium, but then the issue of loving boost comes in and put in a tee piece and go silly for more power haha

I always wanted the naturally aspirated Twin weber and now that I have built it mild its really not that so over the top its good fun but when your reving the guts out of it and just don't seem to be going no where and a Suzuki swift drives past you it really dampens the mood. I know its not ment to be some rocket and I never wanted it to be at all I love the classic and old mechanical style and simplicity yet I just seek abit more fun under the foot.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 5:22

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
For a turbo setup with a 32/36 is running a couple bosch 70 fuel pumps over kill in the following configuration;

one as lift pump into surge tank and one in line to fuel filter and fuel reg and then return to surge tank at say (-6 AN) 3/8 fuel lines? being its carby and a fuel bowl of the carb will most likely flood over at above 7psi and the 70 fuel pumps are around a 40psi pump into the raising rate fuel reg not sure if can get the fuel rate to drop to around the 7-8psi of the weber then raise the 5-10psi needed for boost

Posted on: 2017/10/23 5:28

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
For running a carburetor, a surge tank is overkill as carburetor has a built-in surge tank (the fuel bowl). With no external surge tank, a lift pump is unnecessary

The Weber-recommended 3 psi fuel pressure is for naturally aspirated
* With SUCK THROUGH no mods to fuel pressure are needed
* When running BLOW THROUGH you'll need 3 psi above boost. In other words, a variable fuel pressure. It won't flood as there will still be only 3 psi pressure difference across the fuel inlet valve, for example 10 psi air pressure in the fuel bowl and 13 psi in the fuel line

Posted on: 2017/10/23 6:22

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Too Easy that was my thought process, ill just use one of the nice little compact Holley Mighty Mite Fuel pumps with the higher output one around 15-20psi will do the job perfect and return to normal tank is nice and simple also :)

Posted on: 2017/10/23 6:40

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
It gets even simpler: Carburetors do not require a fuel return line

Fuel pressure must be regulated to 3 psi above boost. So in addition to your 18 psi pump a Regulator will need needed like the inexpensive Malpassi rising-rate unit

Posted on: 2017/10/23 7:28

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.