Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Leaky 1200 speedometer gear
Not too shy to talk
From Garden Grove, Ca. USA
Group:
Registered Users
Oldrunner from Southern California. Owned our 1200 for 36 years. Installed a rebuilt A14 with Web 36/32, two years ago. Great difference in spite of an AT which never gave us any issues. But now an auxiliary part has.

The speedometer sleeve is leaking. New cable purchased. Took it to a Trans shop who installed a used sleeve (Bullet) with its pinion gear (20 teeth). Still leaks. Will get back to the leak issue. But first, under "Speedometer Gear" it says I should use a 17 teeth gear if I have 155X12 tires, which I do and if the differential is stock, which it is. My speedometer appears to show the correct speed.  Haven't really  checked it though. So my first question is: should I continue to use the 20 teeth pinion gear? Back to the leak issue.

2nd question: Could the leak be coming from one or both of the 2 O rings inside the sleeve? And if so, can thy be replaced or do you advise purchasing another sleeve?

Since a sleeve and its gear are hard to replace, especially for a 1200AT (manuals are available) would one off a Z car fit? If so from a manual or AT, how many teeth and year, 240,60,80?

Will consider any suggestions.

Thank you  

Posted on: 2017/10/28 1:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Leaky 1200 speedometer gear
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
hi oldrunner
Quote:
should I continue to use the 20 teeth pinion gear?
If your speedometer is reading correct, within 5% (i.e. no more than 3mph at 60mph), yes keep using it. If it is significantly off, going to a different teeth count will adjust the speedometer reading. For 155SR12 tires and stock rear ratio, 17T is specified (but some speedometers are off enough that 16T or 18T will work better)

Quote:
Could the leak be coming from one or both of the 2 O rings inside the sleeve?
Yes, indeedy. Or your new cable may be defective

Quote:
can [the o-rings] be replaced or do you advise purchasing another sleeve?
Yes, they can be replaced. Take the old ones down to NAPA and they will match up new ones for you (take the entire sleeve). It seems unlikely to me that a bad sleeve is causing the leak as two different sleeves are having no effect on the leak. Can you spot exactly where the leak starts? Is it at the cable-to-sleeve interface or at the sleeve-to-transmission case area? Or coming from the cable itself?

Quote:
Since a sleeve and its gear are hard to replace, especially for a 1200AT (manuals are available) would one off a Z car fit? If so from a manual or AT, how many teeth and year, 240,60,80?
I found them easy to replace, just undo the nut and wiggle/rock the sleeve out, then twist/rotate the new one in

Yes, the 1200 automatic is the big 71-series, same as most Nissans small and big from 1971 into the late 1980s (the manual transmissions are different and use different gears). One for a 240Z, 260Z or 280Z might work, use the Tooth size you need (usually 17T, but might be different for your car). I know that Datsun 620 pickup (2-liter) used the 17T same part number as the 1200. I do not know if all 71-series sleeves will fit the 1200

Open in new window

New Sleeves and/or pinions are available for the Datsun 71-series automatic, for example 280Z: Datsun automatic speedometer pinion

There is also a seal in the cable-end -- maybe the cable seal is missing? Oreilly stopped carrying the 1200 cable about 2 years ago (it was only $15), but a new cable is $7 at Rockauto. Use the B210 cable which fits 1200

Posted on: 2017/10/28 5:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]