Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Brake upgrade advice
Not too shy to talk
From Kenya
Group:
Registered Users
I read that somewhere here btw. I've followed this forum for long. So what calipers should I get?

Posted on: 2019/3/19 16:31
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Not too shy to talk
From Kenya
Group:
Registered Users
What calipers should I get? You told me s13s were ideal for the swap. I'm confused.

Posted on: 2019/3/19 16:34

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Who said that? I did say there were four different S13 calipers. In my opinion it doesn't matter which caliper you use as the most important thing is to use larger disc rotors -- if your goal is quicker stopping

If you want a pre-made caliper adapter bracket then you need to buy a certain caliper to go with a certain rotor. The only one I know of for 257mm rotors is the Bluehands adapter which works with the Pulsar caliper

Posted on: 2019/3/19 20:00

Not too shy to talk
From Kenya
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe I had got you wrong at first. You mentioned s13 is what most 1200 people go for..something like this..

Posted on: 2019/3/19 21:21

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
S13 brakes are perhaps the most popular swap for Datsun B110/B210, but there are a lot of S13 brake types

The biggest performance change is large diameter rotors . Caliper updates are secondary. Even with stock B210 caliper the S13 rotor will stop faster

When choosing a caliper, most choose based on availability -- what they easily find locally, or what is common and inexpensive to buy

Others choose the best there is regardless of cost or degree of improvement. E.g. the 4-piston calipers are 'better' even if not a lot better, they are still better

Other considerations
* what size wheel will be required. 4-piston can sometimes (but not always) use a smaller wheel for a given size rotor mostly due to the small height pad
* weight. Lighter weight means smoother ride (less unsprung weight), and also quicker acceleration to some extent by keeping the car lighter
* pad availability. Racers can take advantage of special pad formulas which are available for some calipers. The Pulsar/Japan Sunny Truck caliper (both use the same pad) has several racing pad types available, but mostly only via sales in Japan

The most common 257mm brake swap is outlined here: S13 257mm Brake Swap

Posted on: 2019/3/20 1:32

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Correction: the Bluehands adapter works with S13/S12 258mm non-vented rotors, which come from the rear of an S13 or S12 -- see 258mm Brake Upgrade

The Bluehands adapter may or may not work with the S13/U12 257/258 vented rotor if a spacer is used (the vented ones are 22mm thick, the non-vented are 9-10mm thick). You'd need a caliper similar to the pulsar (same bolt spacing, same pad height) but which takes a thicker rotor. There probably is one ... Bluehands went to the junkyard and started measuring various Nissan until they found the one they settled on

Posted on: 2019/3/20 1:44

Not too shy to talk
From Kenya
Group:
Registered Users
Does the sentra have same caliper spacing as the s13? If so can I use the same adapter bracket for either?

Posted on: 2019/3/21 9:24

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
bolt spacing doesn't matter as much as how far out the caliper is mounted. Because larger rotors require a caliper to be mounted farther away from the hub center

For example, the four different S13 calipers all use the same bolt spacing. But the adapters are different. If you buy an adapter but then use a slightly different caliper it will either hit the rotor (spaced to far in) or only partially fit over the rotor (spaced too far out)

I really doubt you will find a pre-made adapter for your combo. Guys who used the 257mm S13 vented disc made their own adapter

Adapters are easy to make, just drill four holes in a 5mm piece of steel. Here's a fancy one with central lightening hole and rounded edges. But sometimes a simple rectangular piece of steel works just fine
Open in new window

This one is designed for B110/B210 strut (84mm bolt spacing), but it only works with a certain caliper/rotor combo

Other combo needs a dogbone-shaped adapter similar to this
Open in new window

the B210 120Y factory caliper bracket for PBR caliper is similar

Designing the adapter takes some trial-and-error to get the spacing correct. Some use plywood for the first few tries, then when it finally is spaced correctly, make a steel version

Attach file:

jpg  120Y factory caliper bracket.jpg (15.10 KB)
174_5c93668073514.jpg 214X288 px

Posted on: 2019/3/21 10:17

Not too shy to talk
From Kenya
Group:
Registered Users
Let me try this out first. The Plywood trial and error.I think with this knowledge I can even use any caliper I desire.

Posted on: 2019/3/21 10:31

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.