Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Mmmm The handling still needs work.
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
This is video from two weeks ago; I'm directly in front of the camera car. Ignore turn one as I'm half in the marbles so the back end wobbling about is partially me sawing at the wheel like a fiend. Also note the dust is due to the group before us (a Devin SS lubed the course)

At the top of the hill everyone lined up like lemmings so I popped out of line (you can see me come off the brakes and then get back on them), the cars I'm fending off are 2-4 seconds a lap faster than me but the drivers aren't quite as aggressive on cold tires.

I'm willing to concede there is a loose nut behind the wheel but um yeah there's still,work to be done. From my perspective inside the car the handling is awesome (dropped as a baby) and it doesn't seem unruly in the least. It's actually much better than it was since we redid all the leaf spring bushings. The rear dampers may be past there sell by date as well.

The camera car (a 510) does a dive bomb on the brakes and nearly goes off (driver told me this later) the next lap or so after that you can see my car parked next to the turn station due to as I previously posted the motor going kablamo.

One final note; those 510s and 2002s are sporting between 160-190 whp compared to my 99. Even with the really good drives I get off corners I still get reeled in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FsApTh6m2Xw

Posted on: 2018/3/6 5:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Mmmm The handling still needs work.
Home away from home
From gold coast QLD australia
Group:
Registered Users
Good stuff

Posted on: 2018/3/6 9:00

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I still say it looks like suspension bind - the way it won't take a set and just constantly unloads then grips again looks like a binding issue to me. I guess it could be the shocks, if they're doing not much initially then suddenly respond and overload the tyre?

Got any pics of your rear suspension setup? I vaguely remember something unusual about your rear swaybar setup but might be confusing that with someone else...

Posted on: 2018/3/7 22:51

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
The sway bar is a standard set up; attaches to chassis rails above the spring forward of the axle and the ends clamp on to the spring just ahead of where the axle mounts on the spring. The rear suspension is straight out of the competition suspension manual.

I'm not convinced it's the shocks either; see the video below. I flub turn 1 and didn't catch back up till 13:35. The spitfire and I dice for several laps, the right rear shock on my car came in done and so the car bounces up and down like a puppy dry humping a squeaky toy. The oscillation is quite different from what you see in the first video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wtHvOwCJ1FY

If you remember when I put the H190 in the car I found that the axles had way to much end play and the car weaved way worse than this. After watching the video I want to check the end play again just to rule it out but I'm expecting it to be fine as I just checked a few months ago. It could be a case of it just needing a lateral locating device. My problem is that this is the only race car I've owned with leaf spring suspension. Even my Formula 500 (uses 31 mm Kart axle) uses a lateral locating device. I also can't find anyone else whose experience this issue at this level.

Posted on: 2018/3/9 5:23

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rallytwit wrote:
The sway bar is a standard set up; attaches to chassis rails above the spring forward of the axle and the ends clamp on to the spring just ahead of where the axle mounts on the spring. The rear suspension is straight out of the competition suspension manual.

That doesn't sound like a standard swaybar setup to me. Normally on a live axle rear end, the swaybar attaches to the diff housing and then the ends go forward to link pins that attach to the chassis.
My recollection of the 1200 Competition Manual rear swaybar was it attached only to the leaf springs with 2 clamps on each spring ahead of the axle? But it has been several years since I looked at it.

Are you using the traction arm setup from the manual as well? That's quite possibly a cause of bind if the length is wrong.

Posted on: 2018/3/9 6:35

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Yes the competition sway bar attaches as you described

The one on my car is from Addco: the attachment is similar to the front, sway bar bushings on the chassis with the sway bar ends clamped on to the springs.

The car does have the traction arms; they attach just under the front shackle on one end and directly under the axle at the other.

It is possible something is binding but I don't thinks so based on past experience. I've driven a couple of RX7s that had bind in the suspension, they snapped sideways and needed opposite lock to correct them. My showroom stock Miata in backed corners would corner on the bump stops and it too had snap oversteer.

In car the 1200 is not that tricky at all from my point but outwardly it looks like a bike with worn swing arm bushings. The video does make one thing clear in my mind; this is what's causing the odd ball rear tire wear I posted a while back.

I have the car up on stands so I can yank the motor out, so we'll be going thought it once more. I'll likely try and fit a panhard but want to check everything once more. While I'm not losing anything in the corners obviously fixing this should lower the lap times.........or not.

Posted on: 2018/3/10 6:06

From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
surely the shocks are cooked to act like that

go back to basics, a stock car would not corner like that, something is worn. Bushes and shocks is not expensive. You should not require additional components (swaybar/panhard) to correct this issue

disconnect the swaybar to see if it's any different, but if you at all suspect on the shocks then replace

It's not something that's happening over time/temperature, it's happening from go. So if it's the shocks they are totally rooted

Posted on: 2018/3/10 22:24
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Just to be clear in the second video the right rear shock has come undone and so there is 0 damping. The oscillation in that video is different from the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwTlvqOtRa8&app=desktop

In this video go to minute 24; when I come past in this one you can see there is nothing wacky going on. I believe this is before I installed the H190, I initially found and fixed end play in the axles on the H190 which really tamed the car but obviously it still moves around.

I'm planning on replacing the shocks but I'm not convinced they are the problem . From inside the car it doesn't feel like a dead shock(s).

The other issue is most 1200 racers are either not driving it as aggressively as I do or they installed a panhard or watts link at the same time they started running race compound tires. Regardless I do think one of the existing components on the car are in need of replacement or repair but it could also be it just needs some sort of lateral location device.

Posted on: 2018/3/11 19:41

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
The last time I had a car move around like that, it had a flat tyre. if I lowered the tyre pressures too low whilst drag racing, the rims would move side ways in the tyre, as the rims were too narrow. Maybe you need to put wider rims on the back, or bring the pressures up slightly. I run 6 1/2 wide rims on a 195 tyre or 7 inch wide on a 205. that's what it looks like to me, at least.
Or that rear axle problem needs further taming.

Posted on: 2018/3/12 8:19
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.

From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Are you feeling it im the car? Looks like it would need all sort of steering corrections to keep it going around the corner? Ive never had any upgraded suspension bars etc and never noticed anything that felt like that. Some lateral movement changing directions but not changing behaviour mid corner. Ive done all forms of racing in 1200s but not extensive amounts of track work

Posted on: 2018/3/12 11:22
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.