Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Any advice with a backyard paint job?
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hey all im back again. So soon ill be doing body work and spraying the 1000 coupe. Paintings been my nemesis but i have done good small jobs

Im looking to do acrylic as it will be done at home and its easier to work with. What stages and grits do people recommend? What grit should i use to rub down the original paint ready for primer. Also what grit should i rub before painting (so on the primer)

Ive been told to use a 120 straight up then go down to a 240 then primer 2 coats, rub to 400 and primer again. Rub down to 800 and lay top coat on

Posted on: 2018/3/19 13:10
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Any advice with a backyard paint job?
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
advice - go for it!

it takes time depending on the condition of car to start with and how you want the finish

but it's not particularly a skilled job, especially if you have been rattle canning bits and pieces, you get a fair idea of what techniques work and how to avoid runs etc

i wouldnt go anywhere near it with 120 or 240 though - you will spend the rest of the time trying to remove the deep scratches that will put in!

air tools work fairly well for sanding, one of the rotating foam backed ones with a large pad area (something like 6-8 inches) on flatter areas to get the bulk of the work done, i would use like a 400-600 or something on one of them then finish by hand with 800 (1200 if your fussy)

best way to save time is to buy heaps and heaps and heaps of sand paper (wet and dry using warm soapy water) and constantly change to a new pad or piece of paper. The paper blocks up fast and you just put in a lot of effort and get no where once it loses its roughness

most time will be spent where you have done rust or dint repairs to get the shape right

use a good prep-sol before paint

avoid windy day if outside at all. get rid of all dust around the car before you spray as the paint spray gun will stir up the dust
make sure you have good ventilation for your own health

i would sand very little after prime and only after colour if you have issues with dust or orange peel
clear coat is good for a shine
the paint is super fragile for weeks after painting, avoid assembly as long as you can hold out, but months later it will be super durable

i put a pearl over one of my cars, work very easy and you need very little of the pearl paint so its actually very cheap. I didnt do it for the colour changey effect so much as how it changes the base colour appearance, it gives a totally different look to what can be a very flat base colour looking acrylic. I have a couple of photos of cars painted with the same base but with clear and pearl also

one big tip for actually putting paint on - do all the hard/fiddly parts first, like edges/lips/sills/wheel arch/window frames etc. then fill all the gaps between on the flat panel - its the bet way to keep things even and avoid runs when you are trying to spray weird angles or trying to blast paint into a small crevice

Posted on: 2018/3/20 10:08
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I was just gonna go the factory marone (maroon whatever :p). Maybe i should go over it with a 400 before putting primer on

Posted on: 2018/3/20 10:55

From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Whats the paint like now?

Posted on: 2018/3/20 20:05
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Body isnt too bad. Theres no pealing paint. Just faded really bad. Its been resprayed in the past so i was gonna rub back to the original paint

Posted on: 2018/3/21 1:19

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Lots of good tips from '1200Rallycar' there. Not sure if this was mentioned, but a good idea to wet down the floor with water to reduce the chance of dust blowing up into the fresh paint.

YouTube is your friend. I would suggest 'The gunman' who has recently done a 3 part garage spray job series and also check out 'Homebuilt by Geoff' . Geoff is currently doing up a 260Z on his Channel and will be spraying it soon. In some of his previous episodes he shows how he built an inexpensive spray booth and gets some amazing results on a 911 Porsche.

Good luck with it and post progress shots.

Posted on: 2018/3/21 1:21

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
We sprayed mine in the garage; my buddy who grew up on Gaum and sprayed cars in his car port used to lightly wet down the floor to keep the dust down. I didn't do this in my garage and ended up with dust specs stuck to the roof.......oops. As it was only meant to be a 5 footer race car paint job it looks fine till you get right up close.

Posted on: 2018/3/21 4:43

Home away from home
From Mordialloc Victoria 3195
Group:
Registered Users
Good thing about Acrylic is that if you do get a run , lint or even a bug land on it just let it dry then wet sand it out with 1000 grit paper , hoe into it with cutting compound and presto 'no more ooppsy'
dp

Posted on: 2018/3/21 21:06

keep it simple

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Rustoleum, Rollers no Spray cans being done to show cars and classics
Much easier, less dust and chemical used, cheap and proven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qPJTTRWttQ&ytbChannel=jtech87

add to Rustleum gets rid of any orange peel, paint flows easier
and coats bond better.
https://2ecffd01e1ab3e9383f0-07db7b962 ... 265-bb66-26f680a785ae.jpg

Yet panel prep is the hardest and most important part before paint
however no need to make the painting process so complicated, expensive,
less toxic, prone to error and avoid grasps of exorbitant panel shop prices

Posted on: 2018/3/21 22:54

Edited by D on 2018/3/22 0:43:50
Edited by D on 2018/3/22 0:46:15

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
So how many coats of primer do u reccomend before paint and how many coats of final paint? Ill be starting on engine bar first.

Posted on: 2018/3/22 0:51

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]