Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

Handling appears to be fixed.
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
So yesterday I had the coupe out at a track day and it would appear that the odd weavy rear end is fixed.

I say appeared because with the A12 in the car it is quite a bit slower. I'm down 10 mph at the end of the two straights. Due to the slower acceleration I'm not loading up the suspension as much in a few of the corners.

The car still rotates as rapidly as I like mid corner, when the rear end does slide it now does it in one fluid motion and no longer has that side to side weaving / snaking back end forth.

I took the end link mounting brackets over to my friends shop and he welded on a simply piece that allowed me to use a rod end to attach the bar to the spring bracket. I also installed new bushings were the bar mounts to the chassis rail. The other thing I did was shim the axles so that the end play is now within spec.

When I disassembled the end link mounts it does appear the bar could have been binding as a few of you had suggested. As mentioned in my previous post I wasn't happy with the mounts when I put it together but never bothered to go back and do it the way I wanted.

So thanks to all of you who chimed in on my previous post, it motivated me to correct the problem.

Next up I'll install a fresh set of dampers on the rear.

On a different note I'd forgotten how slow the car was with my mildly tuned A12. There were three or four places I had to adjust my lines due to now having 20 less horsepower.

Yesterday was the last event before our summer break (no one wants to drive around a track while it's 110F outside).

Posted on: 2018/5/13 23:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Handling appears to be fixed.
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Good to hear mate! Well done

Posted on: 2018/5/14 2:22

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
I forgot to mention that the bizarre tire wear appears to be solve as well. As you may remember the inner edges/tread block of the rear tires ended up scalloped out. The wear appears to be now,inline with the fronts. I only did three 30 minute sessions which is around 30 laps or so.

I'm going to try and get an A15 back in it for the fall, I'm also going to swap gearboxes. I have a 63 series I got from OGREInc, I believe I've found the close ratio second gear for it. Ithe new motor is likely to have a dry sump system and crank fire ignition. Maybe I'll get up to a mind blowing 110hp at the wheels.

Posted on: 2018/5/14 4:15

Just can't stay away
From Biloela, Sunshine State
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Rally, was the odd wear one the rear tyres directly caused by the binding rear suspension, or did you fix something else while yo were up in there? It looked real strange in the photos.

Posted on: 2018/5/17 4:02

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
So whether the cause was the excessive end play or a binding sway bar or a combination of both the oscillation back and forth was overheating the inside edge of the tire. I was actually able to talk to a well known tire engineer and he narrowed it down as well.

Harry was the first one to one the sway bar could be binding, so that motivated me to revamp the end links.

The only bummer as mentioned is that the power reduction didn't allow me to get a 100% comparison. Thiis weekend I'll be starting on a freshening up the spare A15 short block, I'll be putting a more aggressive camshaft in this motor so again maybe I'll get a bit more oomph out of it.

Posted on: 2018/5/18 3:31

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]