Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

A12 Cross Flow Head
Home away from home
From Creswell, Oregon USA
Group:
Registered Users
This has been really scratching the inside of my skull for a while. I have a DOHC swap project on the shelf that will need attention again one day, but since I have the CNC mill I have been wanting to do a Cross Flow head for the A12.

I just need to get an idea of how to do the water jackets on a billet head. Everything else is just a matter of cannot move, or can move.

The plus side of doing something like this would mean bolt on application and new header I guess.

Anyway what's your ideas and thoughts on this?

Posted on: 2018/6/4 18:40
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: A12 Cross Flow Head
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
For the water ports I imagine you'd need to drill them. Straight lines and plugs like an injection moulding tool. If it's bolt on then you've already got plenty of design constraints! Sounds like a mammoth job to me....

Posted on: 2018/6/4 21:27

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
MOPAR has done most of the work as far as a direction to walk along for intake and exhaust.

I have a good idea how to make water jackets but requires O-ring gasket and plates to keep the coolant in.

What makes this not a Mammoth job is that the cylinder head is really small, 6061 is really inexpensive, I own the CNC outright, and this will be really fun.

Posted on: 2018/6/4 21:51

Instagram @MD_Machine
Parler @MDMachine

From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
I think there'd be lots of interest if you do do it. It does sound like a fun project.

Would you keep the valves in a row and maintain the existing rocker geometry? Or, would you be going for a Hemi configuration and redoing all of the rocker geometry? Maintaining the existing valve geometry one of the valves will be angled the wrong way. Changing it is also challenging because your push rod position is more or less set.

Sounds like your thinking of making the head in two halves to get the water ports in?

Whatever you decide I'll be following, my projects have stalled since starting a family and taking on a house that needs work....

Posted on: 2018/6/5 12:28

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
I will keep the head in one piece but have considered the idea of designing it like a JetSki head for the water jacket.

I would keep the valves, push rods, and rocker arms in the same positions. Billet Rockers too.

similar to this mopar head.

Open in new window

Posted on: 2018/6/5 20:31

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Matt

Just as an FYI; obviously you've seen the pictures of the AY head and notice the intake valves are canted at around a 30 degree angle and the rocker arms are slightly different than the standard A-Series rocker. Well by happenstance I have an E15 turbo head and I noticed that the E15 vlalves are about the same angle and consequently the rocker arms appear to be nearly identical to the intake rockers pictured in tech wiki for the A12 head.

Also I notice that one the AY head the plugs are where the intake ports are on a standard head and the intake port is where the plugs were. I wondered it was remotely possible to modify and existing head. Install a valve seat in the plug hole and weld on a port and simply put the spark plugs down the intake port.......easy peasy.

On a more serious note any idea of cost? A cross flow head appears to be worth a 25% increase in power perhaps more so if the price is doable it'd be well worth it. I'm also assuming the cross flow design allows for larger valves than a standard A-Series head.

My race class would allow me to run one of these so I'm keen to see what you come up with.

Posted on: 2018/6/6 5:58

Just can't stay away
From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
Here is something I was working on for some time. It's almost a complete design for casting.

Attach file:

jpg  ay12 2.JPG (110.97 KB)
16379_5b17801ea0c97.jpg 1029X875 px

Posted on: 2018/6/6 7:33

Just can't stay away
From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users
Using the AY12 images from wiki

Attach file:

jpg  ay12 4.JPG (112.27 KB)
16379_5b17838102fc6.jpg 881X788 px

Posted on: 2018/6/6 7:47

Just can't stay away
From Christchurch NZ
Group:
Registered Users

Attach file:

jpg  ay12 3.JPG (95.20 KB)
16379_5b1783acb282e.jpg 825X620 px

Posted on: 2018/6/6 7:48

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
The AY12 head is a beautiful looking head.

For the most part I want to try and keep everything as (simple swap over) as possible. I haven't any idea of cost at this point. I don't want to put too much pressure on myself to put a product out at the moment. I want to explore my ability to create a working efficient item, and then explore the ability to manufacture.

On the AY head. wouldn't the push rods from the A block be in the wrong spot for the head to work?

Dattoboy: Do you have access to a 3D printer? Once you have a complete 3D model you could essentially print out your casting plugs if the printer is large enough.

Posted on: 2018/6/6 15:19

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.