« 1 2 (3)

Re: 79 210 B310 fusible link
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Thanks

Yes, in 1979 they built the early 1980 models. October 1979 was a 1980 model with round headlights
Open in new window

Posted on: 2018/10/17 5:20
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Quote:
The melted connector has the 2 green wires connected to it. The other connector has the green wires and the red wire which is looped. So I'll have to use the fmx for just the green wires then?
If only the plastic connector is melted, no need to replace it

1. If the connectors won't go back together, break or cut off the melted plastic portion of the connector
2. Clean the metal terminal (first scrape as clean as possible using a knife, then use spray electrical contact cleaner)
3. Apply grease to prevent any future corrosion (apply to the metal terminals)
4. Put back on the car

If however, the wire itself is melted (and not just the connector ends) then "the fuse has blown" and will need to be replaced

You can use regular grease or special "conductive" electrical contact grease -- both will stop corrosion, while the metal-to-metal contact of the terminals will still conduct the electricity

Available at any hardware store (Lowes, Home Depot, Ace, etc.) or auto parts store

Attach file:

jpg  CRC Contact Cleaner.jpg (23.91 KB)
174_5bc6bc497c1e8.jpg 412X412 px

Posted on: 2018/10/17 5:35

Home away from home
From South Dakota USA/Trinidad and Tobago
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

Haven’t seen the build date but title says it’s a 79. Will check it later after work. Just the connector is melted and corroded. Wires seem to be ok. The park lights n accessories only turn on when the car is running...turn signals don’t work at all. The brake light also stay on when the car is running. The headlights work whether it’s running or not. It’s a bit puzzling

Posted on: 2018/10/17 14:16

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Quote:
The headlights work whether it’s running or not.
Like most cars that is normal. A few type shut the headlights off with the key, but most work whether it's running or not.

Quote:
The brake light also stay on when the car is running.
That could be a brake problem, such as:
* the handbrake lever being pulled up
* low brake fluid level
* brake fluid imbalance or stuck brake warning switch

Quote:
The park lights n accessories only turn on when the car is running.
Most accessories only work with the KEY ON or KEY ACC. Park lights should come on (KEY ON or KEY OFF) when the light switch is pulled out one notch

Quote:
turn signals don’t work at all.
Check the voltage at the 'FLASHER' fuse in the Fuse Box (or pull the fuse out and look at it)

210 fuse box (under-dash)
Open in new window

Posted on: 2018/10/17 23:43

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Ok.... btw I was actually about the brake/tail lamps... not the brake light on the dash. Sorry for the confusion. Also I looked at the build date on the car and it’s 10/78.

So back to the engine. Finally did a compression test. Cylinder 1&4 were reading 165 and 170. Cylinder 2&3 were reading 30 and 0. So we decided to start taking the engine apart. Took off the rocker cover and 2 pushrods were dislodged from the rockers...the intake rod on #2 and exhaust on # 3(which is bent too). Rocker arms were loose a bit. But is that enough to cause low compression or could there be something more wrong? We are thinking about replacing the pushrods and then see what happens

Open in new window

Posted on: 2018/10/18 2:46

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Yes, possibly could be the low reading. But why are the pushrods dislodged? Most likely there are some stuck valves, which causes low compression and causes the pushrod to jump out of the cup

The good news is it is usually easy to fix. Remove the head and free up the valves, then lap the valves by hand. Almost never does it need the head resurfaced (though you can measure it to be sure -- see Do I need to mill the head flat?)

Posted on: 2018/10/18 10:37

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
I’m not sure what happened. The previous owner sent me a video of the car n it ran fine. From that time to when it got to me(had it shipped) I don’t know what happened. Thinking maybe I was cranking it n trying to get it to fire with old gas or something...I don’t know. It’s been sitting for 9 years so it’s possible the valve could be stuck. I guess I’ll find out soon here. Had to get new pushrods on eBay(since one is bent). None of the parts stores have em anymore. So I gotta wait to they show up. In the mean time I’ll trying flushing the gas tank and checking out my drivers side front wheel. Looks like it might have a bad tie rod or ball joint or something

Posted on: 2018/10/19 3:12

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Update...We installed new pushrods in the engine and adjusted all the valves. Cranked over the engine and the rod started coming out from under the rockers again. So we adjusted the valves again to be sure n same thing happened...and bent one of the pushrods. So i guess the next step is to pull the head n see what’s going on. Anyone have an idea what the issue could be?

Posted on: 2018/10/23 3:49

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
A valve is stuck can cause those symptoms

Posted on: 2018/10/23 8:38

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
@ddgonzal...well u were right on the money...valves were stuck. Tapped n em a couple times n they came loose. Starts right up n runs on all four cylinders. Adjusted the valves cold n hot. Now she purrs like a kitten. No test drive yet til we get wheel bearings back in the car👍🏾💯

Posted on: 2018/10/25 6:03

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.