Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Grrrrr new A15 melted
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
I went to a track day Satruday to run in my rebuilt A15. Half way round lap three the motor lost power and dropped a cylinder.

The rear most freeze plug had somehow popped out; I can't remember if I had them replaced when I had the block machined. To be honest of the four motors I've built over the last 20 years I can't remember replacing any of the freeze plugs. I'll have to dig out the receipt and see if I actually had them replaced.

I pulled it apart this morning and three of the combustion chambers have damage. The bore on the number three cylinder appears to have some scoring.

I'm not that upset about this particular GX head as it's the one that's had 2mm milled off the thing.

Luckily I have a fairly fresh A12 short block that I had been using; now I just need to either repair my unmilled GX head (it's got a single hole as opposed to three) or find a replacement head.

Posted on: 2019/1/27 21:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Grrrrr new A15 melted
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Did it burn the valves? If so maybe just throw new rings in the block along with the repaired head. A little scoring works on a street engine, dunno about racing

Posted on: 2019/1/27 23:34

Re: Grrrrr new A15 melted
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
Dave sadly you can feel the scoring on the #3 cylinder. I could slap rings it and it would likely run but that's not exactly the best approach.

Posted on: 2019/1/28 2:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]