Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

HOW TO PUT NEW OIL IN STEERING BOX
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Goulburn NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Guys,

i have a question about putting new oil in my 1200 steering box.It has the four bolts for the plate then the tensioner/adjustor bolt screw and also the square headed bolt,is the square head bolt the one i need to remove to fill it up?
Cheers.

Posted on: 2021/10/21 6:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: HOW TO PUT NEW OIL IN STEERING BOX
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
yes, the square nut is the plug for the filler hole
Open in new window

another question is how to drain the old oil. If the box is removed it can be turned upside down to drain out the hole. If installed use a 100ml syringe and a hose and suck the oil out. new oil is 250ml

* the Datsun 1200 Steering Gearbox uses GL-4 80W-90 or 85W-140 multiweight, same as the Transmission lube

Posted on: 2021/10/21 10:43
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: HOW TO PUT NEW OIL IN STEERING BOX
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From South Africa, Bloemfontein
Group:
Registered Users
Very easy. My friend has a coupe that he uses for rally and then also a 1972 fairlady(I think).
2.4 engine with auto box.

To come to my point, we did my GX (photo shown by ddgonzal's post) and his 2 datsuns. We used a old pump from these hand cleaner bottles. Those that you press down on the head and it squirts the hand wash soap. Hand soap is quite thick and the gearbox oil is also thick. It worked perfect. We removed the square bolt which gives you access to the inside. Wiggled the pipe as low as possible into the inside of the box and just pumped until it could not pickup anymore. We then refilled with normal GL4 80W90 gearbox oil. I don't know if it makes a difference in steering effort but what came out of all three cars was black in color. So just by replacing the black old oil with nice clean golden colored oil is a big positive in my books. We filled it right up to the bolt hole. Installed the bolt but very light as it doesn't really contain pressure. I will do it again at the end of the year to make sure all old oil is removed. Very easy to do and would recommend it for anyone.

Posted on: 2021/10/25 13:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]