Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Throttle linkages
Just can't stay away
From Melbourne. Vic
Group:
Registered Users
hey guys

Would anyone have any clues as to who could do a top notch throttle linkage setup for the sports sedan (a15 twin 45 weeeebrs). The one i currently have is getting picked on regulary by the nazi's.....oops scrutineers

It's hard to explain but the i need two return springs, and the current setup has the springs coming across and fixed to rocker cover. They do not like this setup even if it is CAMS log booked.

they would like to see return spring between carbs

i need a bit of direction

cheers

stevo

Posted on: 2003/2/18 3:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Throttle linkages
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
We are guts not guys geez and u want direction afta that start
I was gonnas say steve from speedtech but since his doing you donk (how it going anyway? let us know when u know)
Otherwise there are several lynx setups available in the catalogues available from lynx they cost about $200 so its probably worth looking into. If you have then b careful cause a bastard at a reputable vw place charged me 600 bucks for a setup on my Vw dune buggy back when I was 17 and I almost trashed his place.

Posted on: 2003/2/18 23:18

Just can't stay away
From Melbourne. Vic
Group:
Registered Users
d

thanks for the info, I would use steve only i'm trying to keep costs down at the moment. By the way, I retracted the big end issue, it appears to be running fine (drama queen).

I would prefer to buy a kit and do it myself. The setup on 1200rally??? seems to be very good.

I will get onto lynx and see what the have to offer.

p.s. I'm a crap tiper and speler

cheers

stevo

Posted on: 2003/2/19 0:24

Home away from home
From nsw,AUSTRALIA
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
p.s. I'm a crap tiper and speler
hey me 2 well the spelling part i am

Posted on: 2003/2/19 5:41

From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
gee, im thinking of selling my webers too

got SU's on at the moment, they use less juice and are more drivable, but not as good up top

think i might sell both to fund injection

Posted on: 2003/2/19 7:51
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

From Perth
Group:
Registered Users
Is that Steve Newings ?
If so I contacted him yesterday and sent my engine specs to him today to have a gander over to see if he could suggest a batter cam and pistons for me.
I'm itchin to get this A series hopping regardless of whether I use it in a road or race application. I think I'll run it in the sports sedan for a year or so before I put the big engine in and put the A back into my 1000 coupe road car.

Is the guy any good ???

Posted on: 2003/2/19 13:12

Just can't stay away
From Melbourne. Vic
Group:
Registered Users
dattoman..

steve newing is a excellent operator. top guy will do anything for you and, the best bit is at the moment he has the guru of the a and l series engines working from his workshop.....i speak of none other than les collins. if you don't know him you should.

steve and les rebuilt and customised my gearbox and it it an absolute gem......highly recomended

cheers

stevo

Posted on: 2003/2/19 15:06

Home away from home
From Little Rock, AR
Group:
Registered Users
1200rallycar, I used to have SU's on my A15 and it ran way better than the 32/36 DGV and still got great gas mileage (35mpg), but they seemed a little rough even though I had them tuned pretty decent, and there was a lot of constant readjusting/oiling to keep them going good. However when I switched to dual 40 Dellorto's (close enough to Webers) my car was way more driveable on the street and the city mileage is a little less, but I still get 30-31 mpg's on the freeway. It idled smoother than I could ever get my SU's to go and it had more power throughout the entire rpm range. I just don't understand how other guys can say driveability is sacrificed going with dual webers/dellorto/mikunis, when I made the swap I don't think I could ever go back! Anyway, I just thought I'd point out that if anyone has a choice between the two setups, the only thing I gave up was a couple miles per gallon and it is way worth it.

-Andy

Posted on: 2003/2/19 21:43

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
stevo, for the linkage setup, get hold of some factory alfa linkages between the carbs (dellortos). these link together tab-and-slot style. the front carb's linkage is activated by the cable/rod linkage has the tab part, which slots into the rear carb's linkage, driving that via on an adjustable screw, which does the balancing. The return side of where the tab slots into is simply spring loaded to keep the tab against the base of the screw. the advantage is ease of balancing, single idle adjustment (on the driven linkage on the rear carb). The only mod that may be required is either lengthening or shortening the 'tab' depending on the spacing of the carbs. I had to lengthen mine - just brazed on an extension.

This is a much better system than running separate rods to each carb. Iain Stewart who runs Carb Tech (you may know who he is) even commented on how good the linkage assembly was, and now copies that whenever he sets them up for customers. I can't take credit for it, I just modified the factory alfa linkages that were on the carbs I bought.

I'd definitely recommend him, but he's up here in Brissy, which is not much good for you...

Posted on: 2003/2/20 5:38

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
just saw the pics on your website. leave the linkages how they are. You just need to change the return springs. The reason CAMS make you use 2 return springs is for a backup system. If you have them both anchored in the same locations, that doesn't cut it. All you need to do is run the 2nd return spring from a different linkage to a different anchorage point. You may need to make a couple of little brackets to tidy it all up. I reckon get in there and have a go yourself - you'll be OK, and it's always more satisfying to do it yourself rather than taking it somewhere.

Posted on: 2003/2/23 22:56

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.