Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Datsun 1200 sss
Not too shy to talk
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
The Datsun 1200 sss was only produced in NZ.
It used the Deluxe sedan Body only. Internally they had high back front seats, the head rest being moulded into the seat not a seperate headrest.A deep dish Leather steering wheel, a coupe type console with a tacho fitted where the circle emblem is, a sss badge was on the glove box. Externally they had black patches on the bonnet with black down the sills and front and rear skirts.Some may have been fitted with driving lights (mine was and dealer ID photos had them too). Wheels were 12 inch Jellybean mags by Cheviot with radial tyres.The engine had a modified cam and twin 40mm Delorto's and extractors.I did put the foot into it once and with the revs about 6200 in 4th gear we calculated about 118 mph . The colour of mine origionally was called Kiri, which was a very pale yellow. I repainted mine white with the black, the other colour I remember them most was red.
I hope this helps all you non Kiwi's drool but if anyone still in NZ that has one can add anything I missed out please do so, as I sold mine to my brother in1985.He sold it 2 years later to a 'guy' who destroyed it driving down Haywoods hill into the Hutt Vally Wellington. He heard that the motor ended up in a power boat.

Posted on: 2003/6/1 11:46

Re: Datsun 1200 sss
Home away from home
From Millgrove Vic OZ
Group:
Registered Users
I have had my spy's on the wreckers hotline in NZ and also looking throught the trade and exchange to find one of these little suckers for about 4 years now. The are rarer than tassie tigers it seems!
Its eather a 1200SSS or a 140Z if I can find one!

Still searching,
Feral

Posted on: 2003/6/1 13:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Did anyone check out the 1200 SSS for sale - New Zealand?

Posted on: 2003/6/1 16:54

Home away from home
From Millgrove Vic OZ
Group:
Registered Users
I missed that one! But that the sort of thing Ive been after.

Posted on: 2003/6/2 0:21

Home away from home
From Wellington New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Time to put my raincoat on and go trainspotting...a couple of things the steering wheels were made by Wildcat and badged Royale and they were vinyl. The wheels weren't all made by Cheviot the early models had Ward wheels fitted.The centre caps had the Datsun badge in them. I have a set of wheels and caps, unused in Datsun boxes. Not all cars had the glovebox badge fitted but all the cars I had or have seen had the the same size badge as the glovebox fitted on the RH bootlid lip. Not all cars had the bonnet and boot blackouts. Spot lights were a dealer option. I have never seen the sills painted black on any "factory" car before, but due to the fact that they were hand built anything is possible. Most cars were also fitted with a steeply raked boot spoiler though as far as I'm aware a front spoiler option wasn't offered. I have a nice little stash of genuine SSS parts (none are for sale, so don't ask!!) and I must get around to getting some clear photos of the unique bits that they had. Oh and by the way I recall driving past that wrecked SSS at Haywards I live only 5 km from there.I think the running gear ended up going into another sedan shell and was/is still being used here in Lower Hutt as a club car...

Posted on: 2003/6/2 4:51

Not too shy to talk
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Things I thought of today were the sss badge on the rear end, but I think it was positioned between the right rear tail light and the number plate, and the front vents under the windscreen had the coupe covers. As for the rear spoiler mine did not have one but I have seen them on cars being rallied and thought they were after market. But as has be noted could have been an optional extra.

Posted on: 2003/6/2 10:29

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
where can i find photos of the 1200sss?

Posted on: 2003/6/2 10:52

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
The Body Styles article has an SSS picture.

Posted on: 2003/6/2 17:32

Not too shy to talk
From Brisbane
Group:
Registered Users
Still thinking about the extras. I'm not sure if it was a Delux option or not, but the sss did have disc brakes on the front, I have only added this as I have seen so many 1200's in Australia with drum brakes on the front end.
My 1st car wasa standard 1200 and it was so long ago I can't remember what it had, it was also in NZ.

Posted on: 2003/6/3 13:32

Just popping in
From Invercargill, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
I've just bought a 1200 SSS with the idea of restoring it. Mine has been painted red with black inserts in the bonnet.
Are you sure the SSS came out standard with the black inserts in the bonnet and boot lid. I was under the impression that the SSS was made up from the 1200 sedan Deluxe, the motor removed and modified and reinstalled. The paint job on the SSS was the standard colours of the 1200 Deluxe. Nothing special.
There is a 1200 SSS Review - refer to the Recent Article section. But I stand to be corrected on the colour range. My SSS was originally yellow, but has been repainted red. I would like to repaint it one of the original colours, like the Wedgewood Blue. I would welcome any other comments.

Posted on: 2003/9/25 9:44

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.