Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

bought another car
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I just bought another car a couple of days ago - pick it up next Monday. Yet another impulse buy...

It's a 1983 HR30 Skyline coupe with L20 6cyl turbo engine (at the moment ). Red over dark grey with 15" Simmons 3peice alloys. but it is pretty run down. The secretary of our car club has owned it for the last 6 years, and I doubt it has even been washed in that time! Has rust in both front gaurds and around the boot rubber. I don't exactly know what I'm going to do with this one, I just have a soft spot for these things and there isn't many around (up here anyway). It needs a respray, and RB20DET or RB25DE half cuts are pretty good value these days, so I probably won't mess around with the turbo L series 6.

On 1200 news, my coupe is going in for the cage friday week! I can't wait - I'm like a little boy before christmas! Not so much fun is the job of scraping off all the soundproofing from the floorpan...

And my everyday car, an R31 Skyline, got ripped open down the drivers side by a young woman driving a rented Pantec truck while it was parked outside a friends place. So it's been a big week so far... did I mention I got my tax bill too? arrrgggghh! oh well, back to thinking about my new cage going in, and the new Skyline...

Posted on: 2003/7/30 3:55
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: bought another car
From Newscastle, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Gday Harry,

What cage is going in it...are you making it up for club spec or street? I got a quote from Bond here in Sydney for a club spec cage 6 point fitted for $800..including certification for CAMS

Posted on: 2003/7/30 8:31

Home away from home
From Wellington New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
I have many happy memories of my old HR30 Skyline Turbo. I ran it with no mufflers and it sounded great. I never liked the handling much. It ran a hybrid TO4 and modified wastegate. It was hard on clutches. Timbo( TSillay) had a beasty DR30 turbo which used to turn on as well. The HRs have all but disappeared from our roads over here. Everyone moved on to newer and flasher imports. One unhappy memory was losing my licence in it ......I will have to dig out some photos of the old beasts....

Posted on: 2003/7/30 10:05

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Sounds like an interesting car. With an intercooler and more boost it would probably be a handful.

I can't find a good set of pictures as to what an HR30 looks like, but this site has one good picture: jaustech.

Posted on: 2003/7/31 4:23

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
The FJ20 powered DR30 Looks like this:

http://www.nispares.com.au/DCP_0002_2.JPG

Chris

Posted on: 2003/7/31 4:28

From California
Group:
Registered Users
I've always liked this guy's car. Does anybody know him or does he still have it?

Kev's Skyline

Posted on: 2003/7/31 6:15

Home away from home
From Wellington New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Ahhh, Skylines.... Wayno, I found a photo of your HR30 a while back....
Me old DR30 with the FJ turbo was a beast. It'd light up the back wheels with the car trailer, tools and 1200 coupe in tow...

It was fridge white too, just like Kev's one, with the little slit headlights.
They only made 500 or so of that model for Group A, kinda wish I'd kept it now, it's probably just as ugly as the 240.
Handled like a 510 though.. Good old Datsun bendy diff...

Posted on: 2003/7/31 6:30

Home away from home
From Christchurch New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
scraping that floor tar #### is a pain i had to scrape every little bit off mine i found a heat gun and scraper works best and then youse thinners to get the rest off

Posted on: 2003/7/31 8:11

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
The Bond ones are good value for basic cages, I have a couple of friends who've bought them recently.

The cage going in my coupe is mainly part of getting the car ready for Dunlop Targa NZ next year. It's a Custom job from a local guy with about 15 attachment points, double diagonals in the rear stays, double intrusion bars, under dash bar, and fabricated tubular seat mountings to replace the factory pressed steel items. I'm not going to extend the cage to the ront strut towers as I want to keep it legal for local Improved Production racing as well. It's a real pain in the arse that my tow car is in the panel shop at the moment...

I can't wait to pick up the Skyline. I'll have to get stuck into it straight away so I can stop driving this crappy little Hyundai Excel around... I've got the earlier HR30 model with different front lights and grill like the silver one in dd's link. The DR looks very tough with the 'iron mask' front styling, but a 4cyl Skyline just isn't quite right...

Posted on: 2003/8/1 7:03

Home away from home
From Christchurch New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
r u going to do the NZ targa next year if so we might see you there

Posted on: 2003/8/1 7:09

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.