Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Ca18 wiring...???
Home away from home
From Wellington New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
Bum! We can try and guess what your config is...
Well, the engine won't care, it's really down to the puter and the ignitor. AFAIK all nissan CAXXDE crangle sensors are created equal.

The engine I had, the coils had two HT outlets, and there were two of them, and they hung off a bracket on the rear of the head. This arrangement had a two channel ignitor. I've also seen engines with an individual coil per cylander, but I've never seen the ignitor(s) that go with this!
So,
how many coils do you have?
how is the ignitor configured (how many in's , how many outs)

Take a look at the connector in the loom that goes to the ignitor. It'll have connections for +12 , GND, and there will be either 2 or 4 wires go to the brain, and either 2 or 4 wires go to the coils
If there are 2in, 2out you have a wastedspark setup, and you'll need dual coils (I use mitsi ones). Wire both HT's of one coil to plugs 1and4 , and both HT's of the other coil to plugs 2and3. If it blows flames, swap 1/4 with 2/3. Dont forget to put a supressor across the +12v connection on the coils.

If there are 4in, 4out you have a sequential setup, and a much larger number of possibilities.. One of them will work, a lot of them will spit and cough, two of them may actually make it run on a couple of cylanders!!

It's not as hard as it appears if you keep all this in the back of your mind...

Posted on: 2003/9/22 5:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Well it's got 4 out to the coils and there are coils on each cylindel. I thought this was the norm? Anyway after that last post I think I can be fairly confident that it shoudl work as I'm using complete loom, it's just a matter of plugs. There shouldn't be any reason for the messing around with the different cylinder combinations as they should be wired into their correct postitions in the plugs. Maybe I need to look elsewhere. Just a quick one, how does allowing it to spark to the block wreck the ignitor?

Posted on: 2003/9/22 5:34

Home away from home
From Wellington New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
sweet, sounds good!. I agree, you shouldnt have to shuffle wiring. Do you have 12v getting to the coils as well as to the ignitor?

When a coil sparks, some of the energy is dispelled out the primary (low voltage) side of the coil. This is known as 'back EMF' The bigger the gap the spark has to jump, the more back EMF there is.
The ignitors have protection diodes, which will short any high voltage back EMF to ground, thus saving the power transistors that are switching the earths to the coils. These diodes can take a bit of abuse, but too many volts coming back will simply kill them...
The transistors are only designed to switch 12 volts, you can see upwards of 500v back EMF in open circuit hi energy ignition systems. Once the protection diodes have been killed, the transistors follow suit soon after!

Posted on: 2003/9/22 21:39

Home away from home
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Ah I see! It's funny, we've just finished a topic about inductors at uni so believe it or not that didn't go right over my head! I've been busy lately so haven't had another chance to tinker with it but I'll keep you posted when I do.
cheers

Posted on: 2003/9/23 2:47

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.