Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

13x7 mini lites and guards
Not too shy to talk
From Tauranga,N.Z
Group:
Registered Users
is it possible to put 13x7 mini lites under the 1200s guards with out flares of some sort i have fibreglass ones but was wondering if anyone has done it

Cheers
Carl

Posted on: 2003/10/10 10:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 13x7 mini lites and guards
Home away from home
From Christchurch, New Zealand
Group:
Registered Users
My coupe has got 14x7 minilites with 175/65/14 tyres. They fit under the guards with no flares or no rolled guards. My mate has got the same wheels with 185/60/14 tyres but he had to roll the guards. The only catch is that the mags do rub on the brake caliper cover thing so you can either use a small spacer like i used to, or get busy with a grinder on that metal by the caliper.

Posted on: 2003/10/11 5:36
Twin 1.5" SUs to go on
Extractors w/ 2" exhaust and muffler
Sony Xplod Sounds featuring Active Black Panel, 4 Channel Amp, 4 way 6x9s & 12" Sub

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2003/10/12 10:47
Twin 1.5" SUs to go on
Sony Xplod Sounds featuring Active Black Panel, 4 Channel Amp, 4 way 6x9s & 12" Sub

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Generally speaking, the name Minilite will have little or nothing to do with whether or not the wheels will fit & work. It is simply a model name for that particular style. The important part is the SPECIFICATION, This would be the diameter, the width & the OFFSET.
Offset is the diference between the imaginary canterline of the rim & the actual wheel mounting face. It is easily measured with a dismounted wheel [no tyre]

Measure the overall width of the rim, that is, from outside edge to outside edge & divide this figure by two to get the centerline. Next, place the rim face down on a piece of carpet [no scratches] & place a straight edge of some sort across the back of the rim & measure down to the wheel mounting face. If this distance is greater than your halfway measurement, this is "negative" offset & is good. If it is less, it is "positive" offset & this can be bad.

The idea is to have enough negative offset to pull the wheel under the car to clear everything. It is possible to have several wheels of a given diameter & width but with diferent offsets. Some will fit, some won't. What were these mags made for originally & why do you think that you need 7" rims under a car that weight about 2/3rds of a ton? Hell, the GT Falcons & Chrysler Chargers that raced at Bathurst back in the 70's didn't need anything bigger than 7"s & these were cars weighing up to 3 times as much, at speeds that you & i are never likely to see.
I persomally think that 5" to 5-1/2" for fronts & 5-1/2" to 6" for rears will handle tyre sizes that are appropriate for our cars, & will fit without hassle.
Chris

Posted on: 2003/10/12 11:32

Group:
Registered Users
Frodaddy
Why are you running such skinny tyres on your 7" rims. According to the "Tyre & Rim Association of Australia" the P175 tyre width is permitted on a 7" rim in 60 profile sizes & below. You are running an ILLEGAL combination. Ever wonder why some things are ILLEGAL? I wonder if it is because it is UNSAFE.

I had always thought that the purpose of wide rims was to allow wide tyres, yet the P175 tyre is both legal & safe on a rim right down to 4-1/2".
I run 185 x 60 x 13" on the front with 5-1/2" rims. This tyre is 552mm in diameter which is the same size as the original [stock] tyre. This means no scrubbing on the inner guard when turning.
Your tyre is nominally 584mm in diameter & i suspect that it rubs sometimes.
I also run 205 x 60 x 13" on the rear on the same 5-1/2" rims. It seems to me that you could have a better tyre selection available to you if you used smaller rims instead of needing pizza cutters to clear the guards.

Motto Think twice, act once.
Chris
P.S.
The 185 x 60 x 14 is nominally 578mm in diameter & i wonder if they rub the inner guard too. This tyre was DESIGNED around a 5" rim, as was your tyre.

Posted on: 2003/10/12 11:56

From Brisbane, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
is it possible to put 13x7 mini lites under the 1200s guards with out flares of some sort i have fibreglass ones but was wondering if anyone has done it

short answer is no. There simply isn't room between the strut and gaurd on the front end. You might get be able to physically fit them under the back with the right offset, but they will definitely scrub on the inner gaurds during cornering.

frodaddy, those wheels don't look like 7s to me. A 175 tyre on a 7" rim would look much more 'stretched' than that! Did you measure the wheels yourself before the tyres were fitted, from outside edge to outside edge?

Rim width is measured from the beading surfaces inside the rim. If you measure the total width of the wheel from both extremities, you will get a false reading - typically about 1" wider for cast alloy wheels.

Posted on: 2003/10/12 23:28

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, You are right. My wheels aren't 7 inch.

Posted on: 2003/10/16 7:42
Twin 1.5" SUs to go on

Not too shy to talk
From Tauranga,N.Z
Group:
Registered Users
thanks for all the replys guys,
i thought i'd have to use the flares but just wanted to see what others thought. the tyre im running is a 205/50/13 so they are quite wide and even worse its on a sedan.

Cheers Carl.

Posted on: 2003/10/16 8:18

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Carl,
I run a sedan all set up for circuit racing and can assure you that there is no way if the car is lowered down that you'll get them under the guards- especially the rear without some fairly drastic guard pumping.
Quite honestly I believe that the best tyre/wheel combo is 13 x6 and 175/60/15
I use a Bridgestone Potenza RE520S and they are awesume. Also available in that size are the Kuhmo R and Dunlop Formula R.

Posted on: 2003/10/16 8:48

Group:
Registered Users
B110SSS
I hope that you made a simple typo there as you write that you use 13" [diameter] by 6" rims & 175 x 60 x 15" [diameter] tyres. You have quoted either a wrong rim or tyre diameter or,....you run some real loose tyres on those rims.

Why such a skinny size?
Chris

Posted on: 2003/10/16 14:59

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.