Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

street billet cam?
Quite a regular
From Taradale; NZ
Group:
Registered Users
Just wondering what a good street billet cam would be. I'm running a M8A regrind from franklins at the moment, and am looking for something with a little more lift.
I'm aware that tomei's, Nismo, and Jun make them, but they are quite expensive, what is the alternative, and how do you guys get on for using pushrods, lifters, valve springs and rockers(what ratio) and do you need roller rockers. I hear the holden HQ and earlier valve springs are an improvement.
I'll find out more about that soon.

lata dudes

Posted on: 2003/10/17 0:38

Re: street billet cam?
Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
What sort of carburation are you running as this will very much determine what sort of cam grind you can run?
Re the rest of your question standard lifters and pushrods are fine, as is generally the standard rocker ratio.If you are getting serious then a good quality vale spring with around 100lb seat pressure is required.
Might be a good idea to pick up the phone and talk to Kelford Camtech here in Chch.
Roller rockers is a luxoury that I here about, but have yet to meet anyone who has ever used them. On that note you will need solid spacers instead of the springs on the rocker shaft to help keep things where they belong at high rpm.

Posted on: 2003/10/17 9:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Quite a regular
From Taradale; NZ
Group:
Registered Users
I'm running twin 40mm sidedrafts - Dellorto carbs. Using electric fuel pump.
I agree about the solid spacers between the rockers on the rocker shaft - no problem.
Currently i valve bounce at 7500rpm, that is if my tach is true etc so i want to change valve springs anyway.
Do you know off hand if Kelfords make billet cams for A-series engines.
Also i heard with a true high lift cam that standard lifters will not do and thats why Nismo make special ones, also mechanical efficency deteriorates for standard rockers because the angles become fairly acute.

Cheers :)

Posted on: 2003/10/17 19:59

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
I really don't know if Kelfords stock billets.
What I do know is the F29 grind is a tried and tested rally/ hot street/ club circuit grind and would be an excellent place to start.
Honestly I would'nt get too worried about special lifters etc, the standard gear is pretty bullet proof and over engineered ex factory, so unless you're chasing 150 + hp don't waste your time and money.

Posted on: 2003/10/18 6:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Quite a regular
From Taradale; NZ
Group:
Registered Users
Sure standard valve train gear is ok for CAMs that have been reground, but for billet CAMs where extra lift is produced, standard lifters and rockers won't work, not because of strength reasons but because mechanically they won't convert the lift displacement into valve lift because of the angles and ratio's the standard gear was designed for.
I'm not after a reground CAM, but a billet CAM for strret use. I already have a good reground CAM, but its not quite good enough. :)
The problem with a reground CAM is you have to sacrifice either lift or duration, because you only have so much metal to work with, where as a billet CAM, there is no such compromise, you can have whatever lift or duration you desire.
And you have to admit on a Naturally aspirated vehicle the CAM is the heart of the engine.

Posted on: 2003/10/19 5:12

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]