Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

#1 Where to get a head gasket for A 15 Turbo
ThomasSymes Posted on: 2011/4/20 6:10
Trying to get a head gasket for the A15 Turbo.
It runs 14 PSI of boost
The gasket that failed was 1.3 mm thick x 79 mm bore
Am I able to buy one or get one manurfactured in Aust to suit, if so the details would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 Re: Where to get a head gasket for A 15 Turbo
estyre Posted on: 2011/4/20 6:34
Hey tom

If you go onto ebay bproject sell steel gaskets and they would be what you need

Get the thickest you get

Also clyons8 was selling head shims a while ago ,so maybe ask him if he has any left

Cheers

#3 Re: Where to get a head gasket for A 15 Turbo
diymark Posted on: 2011/4/20 10:05
A series motors, having an iron block and ali head dont really benefit from stud kits and MLS gaskets as I planned to use on my turbo setup.

Because the block and head expand at different rates they need a composite gasket that has some give in it. MLS is really good stuff but only suited the ali/ali or cast/cast block and heads.

For the A sereis you are better off with a decent composite gasket and the factory studs. However, to prevent head lift I torqued them down another 10Nm.

I'm running 20psi on a stock gasket and there are no problems - remember, boost doesnt kill headgaskets, detonation does!

#4 Re: Where to get a head gasket for A 15 Turbo
clyons8 Posted on: 2011/4/20 10:46
Quote:
A series motors, having an iron block and ali head dont really benefit from stud kits and MLS gaskets as I planned to use on my turbo setup.

Really, so you never tried them? Big statement there.

Datsonovic was moving 30psi (or was it 35?). He was after some steel ones I made but never got back to me. Copper ones I can do, every time I get numbers up when I ask for cash the response is limited.

O-ring the block and drop a copper gasket on it.

#5 Re: Where to get a head gasket for A 15 Turbo
Datsun100ATurbo Posted on: 2011/4/20 19:57
I have boosted my a15 to 14-25psi with standard gasket and bolts, and I haven´t blown a head gasket in ten years. In my new engine I am planning to use a coppergasket without any o-rings!?

Marcus

#6 Re: Where to get a head gasket for A 15 Turbo
Dundee1000 Posted on: 2011/4/21 1:15
can't say I agree with the stud kit comment at all,
the best setup that I would use is the ARP stud kit and a Nismo genuine gasket..

#7 Re: Where to get a head gasket for A 15 Turbo
diymark Posted on: 2011/4/21 8:02
The factory bolt arent TTY so you benfit from torquing them more - as they havent "strectched" and still can offer more clamping load. Studs are really meant for heads that have TTY bolts as torquing them more does nothing.

The best thing to do (not sure if possible) it to use more bolts/studs by drilling/tapping more holes.

@Datsun100ATurbo

Using a copper shim on its own wont seal. Copper is used to set the head to the right height/compression ratio and Orings are the actual seals.

Annealed copper wont compress over the large surface area of a head. It will work like a seal in its own right on say a bolt where the copper washer actually does crush... but on a head - they dont compress.

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]