Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

#1 A Series Alloy sump/oil pans
he1278 Posted on: 2008/2/9 3:22
Does anyone know of the where abouts of a A series NISMO oil pan. They are alumnium and hold a huge ammount of oil. I have only ever seen one but would be keen to track one down. They are winged and ribbed and are very obvious. Also have gates inside the sump. Does anyone know of such a oil pan??

#2 Re: A Series Alloy sump/oil pans
converted Posted on: 2008/2/9 4:03

#3 Re: A Series Alloy sump/oil pans
dattoman_1000 Posted on: 2008/2/9 11:15
The Tholsen one is the opposite
Its a dry sump pan that holds virtually nothing
But a nice pan none the less
Race only though

#4 Re: A Series Alloy sump/oil pans
Wombat_racing Posted on: 2008/2/9 21:28
Try and find a E10 Cherry they have an alloy sump.

Yes I have a few but wont sell any of mine.

Also depending on what size A series you are fitting it to you may need to find an a12 powered cherry (rare as in Australia) as this has the reliefs in the side of the sump for conrod clearance.

Heres a picture of the A12 alloy sump. notice the reliefs on the side.
Open in new window

#5 Re: A Series Alloy sump/oil pans
cheater_5 Posted on: 2008/2/9 22:08
anyone have any clue as to what the belhousing adapter plate from tolsen in their catalog is for? what gearbox i mean. Also where to get a hold of the parts?

#6 Re: A Series Alloy sump/oil pans
Dodgeman Posted on: 2008/2/9 23:50
Quote:

he1278 wrote:
Does anyone know of the where abouts of a A series NISMO oil pan. They are alumnium and hold a huge ammount of oil. I have only ever seen one but would be keen to track one down. They are winged and ribbed and are very obvious. Also have gates inside the sump. Does anyone know of such a oil pan??

Not sure if I know exactly what you want as you have not told us which engine you want it for & your specific description does not match anything that I know about so far.

Here's a few happy snaps of the ones that we DO know about. As far as I can tell there would be somewhere between 8 to 10 of these in Australia at best & when they do change hands, it's often within a closed circle of friends. Those that do make it onto the open market are never cheap.

This one is for the 1974 & later block, but did not come from Nismo, it has a usefull increase in oil capacity over stock but not a "huge" amount, & didn't come with 'gates' but does have baffles. It's in Victoria.
It's not on the market as far as I know as it has a whole F3 race engine attached.

Open in new window

This one is believed to have come from Datsunsport [not Nismo] It's a little older & different from the one above but still for the 1974 & later block. Like the previous one, it has a usefull increase in oil capacity, but not a "huge" amount, & does not have 'gates' but is baffled.
I sourced this one from Okinawa thanks to the kindness of one of our forum menbers who lives there. It was in poor, damaged & incomplete condition & I had it professionally restored. It's not on the market either.

Open in new window
Open in new window

This one is for the 1200 block [up to 1973] & is in Belgium It too would have come from Datsunsport. It's listed & shown in the factory Competition manual complete with part number. It too holds additional oil, but is it 'huge'? I don't know but I would imagine that anything over 12litres would qualify as 'HUGE' & I don't think that this holds that much.
It DOES however come with swinging doors or 'gates'
It was not available when I enquired about it as the owner had an original 1200 racer with all the factory race parts, including this oil pan.

Open in new window
Open in new window

There was a new one on Yahoo Japan last year. It looked a bit like the middle one in the pictures above, but had wider 'wings' & therefore held even more oil, but it still falls short of 'HUGE'. It went quite cheaply at about $800 US [plus shipping & the seller did not ship overseas, so you would need an agent & there would of course be the double handling] Geting it into Australia for under $1000 US would be the goal to shoot for. I don't know if I have a picture.

Ah yes, here they are.
The dark colouring of the baffles is due to them being made of treated steel I believe while mine are stainless. Due to it's close similarity to mine, I would say that it too was a Datsunsport item [not Nismo] & Nismo do not currently list them. I wonder if they ever listed them in a Nismo catalogue.
I believe it sold to a Japanese buyer.

Open in new window
Open in new window

Open in new window
It would seem that the only one with swinging doors was the Datsunsport one for the 1200 engine as the three examples of the 1974 & later engine all came with baffles. My newly made stainless ones are replicas of an original.

The second & last ones are believed to have been made by Tomei, but for Datsunsport, the factory race parts department that pre-dates Nismo. This would be why there is no brand name on them while Tomei put their name on the ones that were sold outside in the general performance parts market.

For what it's worth, that's four different cast alloy oil pans for the two different versions of the A series engines.
I wonder if there are any more.

#7 Re: A Series Alloy sump/oil pans
D Posted on: 2008/2/10 0:57
nice sumps!!!

#8 Re: A Series Alloy sump/oil pans
Dodgeman Posted on: 2008/2/10 15:14
Damn right. I was going to bid on that new one, but don't really need it, so I let it go. My initial intended bid limit would probably have won it too, but I have too much stuff already.

#9 Re: A Series Alloy sump/oil pans
dattoman_1000 Posted on: 2008/2/10 23:07
cheater
Its for a Hewland

And they are in USA

#10 Re: A Series Alloy sump/oil pans
B210sleeper Posted on: 2008/2/11 0:16
There are other better places to store oil than in the sump.

An accusump or one of those sort of oil pressure accumulators add a good amount of oil capacity at pressure, and are cheaper per liter of oil than a spiffy sump pan.

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]