Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

PULLING THE SR OUT 2MOS
Home away from home
From penrith
Group:
Registered Users
got car ramps, engine crane, engine stand, chain for engine.. and heaps of tools
a few questions i got.
i have got to pull the motor out to do teh timing case and sump gasket ( and NOS kit if i get my tax money bak quick enough) and i want to do the clutch aswell its not chirping 4th much nemore.
should i pull the motor and box out in one? how hard is it? pull the motor out then drop the box?
anyone worked on a sr 1200?
its a tight fit i gotta take out the radiator and grills n bonnets n all that stuff i no and both hydraluics ( clutch and brake) for clearance for the intake, ne order i should take stuff out on ne hints?
anything will be much appreciated

nething else i should do to the motor while its out? shave heads hehe

Posted on: 2005/7/16 9:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: PULLING THE SR OUT 2MOS
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
Group:
Registered Users
What about droping the engine/gearbox out the bottom?? Not lifting it out the bonnet. This way you wont have to worry about clearance for the brake/clutch and other stuff!!

Posted on: 2005/7/16 14:33
To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with ones ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.... Bruce McLaren

From Melbourne AUS
Group:
Registered Users
you will most likely have to take the gearbox out first then the engine... unless u drop it all out from underneath like suggested...

other wise you'll have to get some pretty mean angle on that baby to get it out...

good luck

Posted on: 2005/7/16 15:57

From Newscastle, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
if your SR20 is in a 1200 there is no way it can come out with the gearbox unless the radiator support panel has been modified to have a bolt in piece that removes so you can get the engine box out in one hit.

Posted on: 2005/7/17 0:42

Home away from home
From penrith
Group:
Registered Users
ill undo the rear g/box cross-member and try n point it down n take the box off ( i cant reach/see the top bolts on the bellhousing when its in normally). then rip the motor up..
i told a mate that i could drop it he just laughed and said if i did that he would have nothing to do with it, said i would have to re-shim the whole front end and thats a real bad job? he right?

Posted on: 2005/7/17 3:11

From sydney
Group:
Registered Users
There are shims in a 1000 front end but I dont think there are any shims in a 1200 front end.

Posted on: 2005/7/17 3:17

Home away from home
From penrith
Group:
Registered Users
so basically its easier to DROP it down onto a layboard and wheel it out? wat involved im not a suspension kinda bloke i take it suspension unbolting?

Posted on: 2005/7/17 3:45

Home away from home
From Stray-ya
Group:
Registered Users
There's a pic in this place somewhere of an A series being dropped out. You've got 2 options, you can undo the strut tops, brake hoses, steering arms (pitman and idler), and radius rods, sway bar (plus all of the normal stuff you would have to do anyway) and then undo the engine and GB crossmember bolts, and drop the whole lot down on a jack. The second option is the same but yoy leave the struts in the car- and this will make the front end a lot heavier. Bear in mind you have to get a lot of height at the front to get it out from under the car. In reality ist is probably more work than taking the gearbox out first, but may be the only option if you cant get to the bolts at the back of the bell housing.

Have done this job on a corrolla but not a 1200 so use as a rough guide only!!

Also, matching the crossmember holes back up when you put it bac together can be a real pain in the arse.

Posted on: 2005/7/17 6:27

From Melbourne Vic
Group:
Registered Users
i put the sr20 in my 1600 once by lowering the car onto it and it was a real tight fit. mine had a turbo on it tho. i don't reckon you could physically squeeze it out the bottom. just measure it, and if it won't fit, you'll just have to pull it out the top (unbolt the gearbox first) it shouldn't be too hard. getting it back in tho....

Posted on: 2005/7/17 7:21

Group:
Registered Users
Nick did you read AFRacer's build up thread of his coupe. It should give you an idea of how to remove the SR.
Although its a different car, Dattodude's brother once told me that to do the clutch in his old SR 1600, all he needed was to remove the engine mounts and sit the engine on the crossmember. This gave enough room to get in and around the box to get it out.
Maybe its worth looking at your 1200 to see if this will give enough clearence to drop the box and then lift the SR out the top.

Posted on: 2005/7/17 7:25

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.