Username:

Password:

Lost Password?

Register now!
Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

How to test CA18DET crank angle sensor??
Home away from home
From Costa Mesa, CA
Group:
Registered Users
I've got everything wired up in the 1200 and can't get a signal from the crank angle sensor. I'm running a Microtech LT8s that I bought directly from Microtech for my CA18DET.. Do I have the wiring wrong? Any thoughts? I'm using a Nissan Cima(Q45) ignitor also..

Thanks! :)

Posted on: 2005/10/25 22:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: How to test CA18DET crank angle sensor??
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
You need a CRO (oscilliscope). But there isa wiring diagram in an issue of Zoom magazine that I have at home. I will post the details in the next couple of days. The test kit uses LEDs and a handful of resistors from memory.

The wiring has a 1degree (2 degree crankshaft) and a 45 degree signals (90degree crankshaft), coming from 2 of the pins. Both of these wires need to be shielded all the way to the ECU. They should be kept away from the coil wiring where possible. The other two are earth and 12V.

The CIMA Ignitor, although having an extra two channels, should work no problems, so long as you have used the correct pinouts. Remember that these ignitors are "dumb" and provide no dwell control, this must be done by the ECU or CDI unit.

The optical sensors supplied in CA18DET/RB25DET/RB26DETT are all known for being a bit unreliable. They are the same with a different trigger wheel in them. You can't use a 6 cylinder CAS in a 4 cylinder, unless you are replacing the wheel with another one.

Any decent mechanic will have a 'scope' to check for such things, with the machine being the size of a large bookcase.

You can get a CAS second hand for $50-$120. You don't need to goto an import dealer to get one, as you can use the one from a EXA CA18DE/CA16DE.

I do know a lot about CAS units, thanks to my SMC Autronic install

Posted on: 2005/10/26 1:10

Home away from home
From Costa Mesa, CA
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all the info.. I got two more crank angle sensors today and still nothing. Would I still see an ignition pulse(yellow light) if the ignitor is wired wrong?? Can anyone tell me which wire coming from the Microtech goes to the correct wire on the plug. The plug from the coil pack plugs right in to the other side of the ignitor. What a headache!!

Thanks,
Bryan

Posted on: 2005/10/26 22:57

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
i ll check my loom tonight fro you an d let you know btw i have ltx8 think its the same wiring as mtx8
cheers i know out of the mircotech it was red whait and green but you probably already know this

Posted on: 2005/10/31 23:19

From Warwick, QLD
Group:
Registered Users
When you crank your motor do you see the yellow light blink at all??? If not then the the CAS isn't functioning right or you have your wires around the wrong way (speed and home) home is the piston TDC indicator and speed is just that the speed of the cam.

SO double check those connections. What is the engine doing? Not firing at all? A quick way to see if your CAS is working is pull it out of the end of the cam (plug still attached to it) and turn the car's ignition to on then spin the cas with your fingers and you should hear clicking (no clicking means your CAS or wiring to the CAS is no good) If you hear clicking then I'd then look at your ignitor.

Do you run an LTx8??? Is sequential firing enabled if so do away with your ignitor and directly wire up the coils.

Cheers
damo

Posted on: 2005/11/1 0:04

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
matey my loom goes the following

black=black
green=green/yellow
white=green/black
red=black/white

had it done by a elec so i say its right yet to fire car up though maybe somone can conform this?
hope this helps!

Posted on: 2005/11/3 13:13

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I took this circuit from a Zoom magazine:

A little artistic effort in Paint:

CAS Test Circuit

Posted on: 2005/11/3 22:03

Home away from home
From Costa Mesa, CA
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for all the info guys.. I haven't been able to log on lately due to my friends firewall or something..? I had my car towed to a guy that has dealt with a lot of Microtech systems. Hopefully he'll find out what's going on. I'll let you guys know next week.

Bryan

Posted on: 2005/11/3 23:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.