Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

120y and 240k steering wheel swap
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
i have a 120y 1978. i have just purchased a 240k wood steering wheel,also quite old, they are both the same single bolt spline type but the 120y spline is about 2 or 3mm smaller than the new wheel. is there some type of shim or reducer in existence, as the only boss kits i have seen have the allen-key type adapter.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 6:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 120y and 240k steering wheel swap
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Townsville, Qld
Group:
Registered Users
The B310 sunny has a larger spline in it's colum which should fit that wheel and all the Zed items if I'm not mistaken.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 10:06

From Southern Tablelands N.S.W. Australia
Group:
Registered Users
There are two things that you need to take into account when contemplating a steering wheel swap, that being shaft size & blinker canceling pin spacing.

In the Datsun world the B10, B110 & B210 are unique in sharing the smaller size shaft, but only the B110 & B210 steering wheels are interchangeable as the B10 has blinker pins spaced much closer together.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 11:35

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
I am doing the same swap on my van. I have used an older saas boss kit to suit the dish style wheel, welded up the 240k wheel, machined out the centre and drilled it to suit the boss kit. A bit of work but for the look I'm going for it's worth the hassle.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 11:43

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
ok, i've never had experience with this item, it seems the spline end has a c ring clip,is it just a matter of removing the splined bit from just behind that clip? how big is the piece?, do i need to replace the whole steering column or just the piece on the end? there are pins on the b210 wheel which protrude and i can see where they match up to the small plastic gutters on the column, but there are no pins at all on the 240k wheel, if the only downside of this would be that i have to manually stop the indicator when finished with it i'm willing to accept that as a loss. so really i'm just after some type of spacer to match up the spline sizes. besides that its a perfect match even to the horn interfaces. is a 2 or 3 mm splined shim too thin to be safe?

Posted on: 2008/11/3 11:46

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
On that type of wheel, the spline boss is welded to the spokes of the wheel. So it is more or less an impossible fit without the modification of the steering coloumn or if you can aquire a new spline boss to weld up. Thats why I chose to use the saas boss kit and modify the wheel.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 11:52

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
huh, ok i think i see what you mean, do you have a part number for that saas kit?, i'm missing the visual on what this item should look like, the only ones i have seen have the 6 bolt type which i think would not work at all, ant they would also seem to put my wheel much too close, i'm looking for the furthest possible distance due to my arm reach, but to get this wheel on i would realistically take anything, cheers

Posted on: 2008/11/3 11:59

From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, I don't think that saas make boss kits any more. Although, if you want to get the steering wheel closer to you you could use an ordinary boss kit to do the job. I am lucky as I have access to lots of different CNC lathes and machines so modifing the wheel is no probs for me. But I did have to weld the 3 spokes of the wheel together and weld fill all the holes before machining the centre out to fit the wheel to the boss. It sits perfect for my 120Y. Around the same distance as the origional big wheel. I don't have any pics of it yet as it is still not finished but when it is I will post some up. The wheel only gets worked on in spare time but work is bloody hectic at the mo so it is at a standstill unfortunately.

Posted on: 2008/11/3 21:31

Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
fair enough, i will keep my eyes peeled for a suitable solution, after a nights sleep i have had a thought; if i use a rotary type drill bit to core the new and old splines out of their respective wheels, and then weld it into the opposite wheel, would that not do the trick?, i'm sure there is a method to make that weld stick... is there a bit strong enough to core this metal?

Posted on: 2008/11/4 0:24

From gold coast QLD.
Group:
Registered Users
Your playing with fire here,if you where to have a failure you won't get a second chance,just a smashed car and maybee body or someone else.
Get the right boss and do it properly!

Posted on: 2008/11/4 2:22

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.