Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

MSII + EDIS Qs
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone else running MSII and an EDIS? I've finally got my wiring loom done for the MSII and have the EDIS8 running 1 coil per plug but it's not quite right.

The EDIS PIP signal is only 0-0.8V and is not as clean as I would expect. The square wave has a fair bit of noise on it and every now and then the ignition farts and retards the timing to well after TDC. It's hard to catch though. Timing traces on the PIP and SAW look right on the oscilloscope. I had to mod the Hall input on the MSII as well to get the tach input to trigger (I've got a transistor driven by the PIP signal ground switching the Opto-Isolator http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/inputHEI.htm).

I'm thinking about filtering the PIP but thought I'd ask around to see if anyone else has had this issue first? I also tried swapping the EDIS unit and got the same result.

Thanks for any input.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 6:47

Re: MSII + EDIS Qs
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
I run EDIS, and found poor signal to be usually one of two potential causes:

* cable. the signal cable must be twisted pair, very small wires are OK. And the ends of the cable must not be untwisted any more than needed to connect. Cable must be shielded, and the shielding must not be removed too much at the ends, again just enough to make the connection. I used an antique electric guitar cable and get a good signal. Ethernet cable won't work as it is not Shielded.

* sensor too far from the trigger wheel. Sensor-to-tooth clearance is 0.040 inch or less

Posted on: 2013/9/7 7:12
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
By the way, your band is excellent.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 7:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks DD,

All my cables are shielded and the shield earthed. The VR signal is pretty strong and reasonably clean. Maybe my earth point for the EDIS unit isn't good enough, that could add noise to everything... Tomorrow... Still doesn't answer why the PIP signal is weak, it's supposed to be a 12v pp square wave.

Posted on: 2013/9/7 7:50

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]