Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

questions about getting into racing my datto. can anyone help
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all. Just wanting to have some fun with my car and thought about getting into racing. I know literally nothing about it. I have been to the cams site and its pretty confusing. I would like to know more about classes. I have a 1000 coupe id like to use but also can use a 1200, 120y or sunny. Does anybody know what classes there are and what motors I can or cant use, cc classes ect. I wouldnt mind entering a 1000cc class using a a10 or maybe a 1500cc class using a a/e15. Can some give me the gist of it? Im located in adelaide south Australia if that makes a difference. Thanx

Posted on: 2014/8/13 9:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: questions about getting into racing my datto. can anyone help
Guest_
Start off at club events with no classes first, doesnt matter what capacity you run then (1000 OR 1200CC ) and see if you like it first.
You might not like other cars in track so hill climbs or time trails may be more suited to start off.
I like hill climbs personally, but only time on track with other cars was datnats. Ed msy have been underage and a virgin but man he was up my arse on the straights.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 10:47

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody in adelaide who do this?

Posted on: 2014/8/13 11:13

From SE Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
To drive on a race track you need a Level 2-Speed CAMs license, to get a CAMs license you need to be a member of a car club.

So if you join a car club that has a schedule of tracks days as a race track close to you, then apply for you CAMS license you should be good.

The results will be judged on lap times, and there is no positional racing - but you may be on the track with a number of cars at once.

Most car clubs have their own classes, some are on engine CC other have categories like "Modern Sports Performance". It's fairly irrelevant anyone as you are only racing yourself. But that is fun enough.

A cheap datalogger will give you the ability to track your own improvement.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 11:40

From sydney australia
Group:
Registered Users
Cams' web site is particularly confusing. If you can get into what used to be the clubzone, there should be a listing of Cams affiliated Clubs. Find one close to you & call them, visit their website or email them, because this is, in my opinion' the best way to get started. A Nissan based club, or a local club, it doesn't matter, because they can help. At a state level, they can give you access to Supersprints, Hillclimbs or Motorkhanas, in what you have at the moment. I started doing supersprints in a 1200 sedan that was more set up for drag racing than road racing, but I was able to use the car, & gradually modify it to go round corners & brake harder. So you could take that 1000 & use it, rather than waste months while you build something else.

As for classes, here in NSW the supersprints have at least 5 different categories, all split up into capacity classes, with additional classes for turbo 4wds such as Evo's & WRX's. First category is for stock standard cars, no modifications. Second category is for slightly modified cars, original engine, engine mods allowed, wheels & tyres, brake pads, etc. Third category is basically Improved Production regs. Fourth category is Sports Sedan. Fifth category is for open wheelers & open sports cars.
The capacity classes are 0-1600cc, 1601-2000cc, 2001-3000cc,3001-6000cc, these are for the first 4 categories. The 5th category is 0-1300cc, & 1301-6000cc.

What the classes in South Australia & the rest of Australia, it's likely to be what the local competitors have decided themselves. I recall Harry (L18b110) in brisbane describing the classes in Brisbane & they were different to what I've described.

Just took a minute to pop over to the Cams website & there on the front page is a search option for car clubs. I put in South Australia & on page 4 there was the Nissan Datsun Car Club SA. On the club info page there's the contact details for all the committee, I'd suggest you contact the competition secretary (who seems to drive a Datsun 1200). The club says they are a member of the MSCA (Marque Sport Car Association of SA), which runs events at Mallala. This will give you access to somewhere to have a few laps.

I hope this helps you get started. They seem to be a fairly active group, with lots of things to have a go at.
Even if you don't join, they can at least tell you what the go is in SA, & give you more information. & most of all, good luck with the racing,& have fun.

Just had a look at the MSCASA web site, under Supp Regs it gives a basic version of their car class. Looks like Road Modified 0-1300 is the go, drop an A12 into the 1000, some good discs, & whatever else & it's a go. Doesn't say what tyres you can use, but all those Yoko/Toyo/Dunlops are 'road' legal. Looks good. 4 5 lap runs per day. You'll be dizzy at the end of the day.

Posted on: 2014/8/13 12:24

Edited by b310gx on 2014/8/13 12:48:49
Edited by b310gx on 2014/8/13 13:06:00
Would it be possible to get a late model Nissan Micra, fit the 1.8 litre motor from a Tiida & then turbocharged it? Your answer must include parts numbers for the conversion. You have 12 months. Commence.

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
The CAMS website requires some navigation, two key areas are licence (Driver) and logbook (Car) requirements.
Supersprints are more for lap times (sprints) and not a form of racing against other cars for position on track. Think hill climb but on a circuit, you will have multi cars on track at any one time but not really racing each other(although I am no expert in this area as I went straight to circuit racing).
Because you are not "racing" the licence requirements are less stringent and easier to obtain + cheaper.

For racing, the regulations are split into categories(1-5) with sub classes in each. e.g Improved production is 3J, sports sedans is 3D, production cars are 3E, open sports cars are 2A, category 1 is for open cars (F2, FF etc).
These categories are about the car and detail the allowed modifications to the car. These are national categories, so the car can be raced/sold anywhere in Australia in these categories. Some states have local categories (WA street cars comes to mind). For the car to race in these classes it must first be logbooked against the category (Car passport).

As a driver you will also need to obtain a licence depending on the level of motorsport you are competing at. Most circuit racers I know opt for a clubman licence level, this get you into a large number of non national events and is really the base entry for circuit racing.
As mentioned above speed events (supersprints) require a lower level licence as too does karting.
To get a licence (clubman level), you need to pass a medical, an online test and conduct an observed licence test (at the track observed by some experienced drivers), each state is slightly different in how they go about the observed licence test. In WA for example the "expert" is in the car with you on a track day. In NSW they observe a simulated race from the side of the track. Once you pass all this you go on a provisional licence P plates. To get off P's you need to complete (and be signed off by the Clark of the Course) for 3 race events and 1x flag marshal day. This progresses you to a full clubman licence.

I would recommend you attend a race weekend in SA, the categories should be advertised ahead of the event. Most people at the track are open to a chat (Assuming they are not elbow deep in oil fixing their cars) and you will also get an appreciation on how the events are run. Maybe do the same for supersprints to see how they are run.

All the best, it is really addictive when you get into it (Money permitting of course :). When things start breaking it can get expensive.

If you have specific question drop me a PM, happy to answer or have a chat. BTW I race in 3J - Improved Production.

Bryan

Posted on: 2014/8/13 13:02

From Adelaide, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
Ahh I get it all now. Your right when u say the cams website is confusing. I think ill search for some local clubs and go from there. The sprint stuff sounds like a good start. I really want to actually use a E Series motor so I want to see if there's a class that will allow for a E15/E13 in a 1000. Atm my 1000 coupe is half way getting straightend and painted so my next step was collecting any goodies engine/driveline wise but I need to also find out restrictions ect. Does that sound like a good plan? :/

Posted on: 2014/8/13 17:06

Home away from home
From Sydney , NSW
Group:
Registered Users
All good info. I would suggest contacting a local club as discussed and then attending an event ( of various disciplines) as a spectator and check it out. Talk to similar competitors and see what they are doing. You can then define your build along lines that will best suit your choice and budget.
Be warned - once you hit the track you can't go back
Cheers.

Posted on: 2014/8/14 0:07

From gold coast QLD.
Group:
Registered Users
Matt,I too agree with all thats been said,check out the calender of events on the cams web site along with cams clubs web sites,get along and check it all out.The bulk of entry level events are all free entry to look,and yes i did get your PM Cheers

Posted on: 2014/8/14 2:13

From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
As a racer since 1986 I will throw in my .02:

First write down how much money you have to spend on this, I have about $300 a month that I can blow on racing.

Second how much free time you have, I can do one Saturday a month plus 2-3 weekends a year.

This gets me 6-7 autocrosses, 4-5 track days and 2-3 race weekends.

Go to all the club events near you then see which ones work best for your schedule and budget. Also keep an open mind as to what you run, you may find it is better to sell of a car to buy a prepped car. You may decide towing the car is better than driving it to and from.

Tom

Posted on: 2014/8/14 3:45

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.