Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

body repairs -- WELDINGGGGGG
Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
Damn what a day.I 'TRIED' to fix a buggerup of the spraypainter but what a job.The s/painter covered a rust spot with tape and filler and now it has popped like a ripe teenage pimple.The cutting out was great no problem and i think i did a great job,even the replacement pieces were 100 BUT the welding was f..... nightmare. Damn damn damn.I have a small thermadyne inverter that can also do tig welding so got gas then gloves cos my hands were getting slightly hot lol bit of practice and ok i'm right for the job. THINKING ''i can do it i know i can it's easy as pie.Just remember what the chap said on youtube''BUT as say there is no pills for dumbness.One time i forget to put the power on [over excited suppose]next i dont open the gas[dont want to waste]then no start damn suppose if i earth it s/thing might happen. OK now we going --shikes hole in replacement plate.O shikes gas to low so wind it up then the tungsten.I check youtube again and they talk about filler rods to repair holes and and and.Now i am wondering if everybody struggles like this even with a fancy self adj helmet-- even with this helmet i can't see properly cos there's reflections on the glass/lense.Damn what a day. Last straw e/body closed for hols.Don't they know we got datsun to do?

Posted on: 2014/12/23 18:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: body repairs -- WELDINGGGGGG
Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
big time respect to all the blind people out there. I ended up with arc eyes last night and could'nt walk through my own house without hitting a wall [part facebrick] ouch.Missus had to run to the medi clinic for some eye drops at mid -night and now i look like s/one that could'nt wait for xmas --bad thing is i dont even drink and suppose the first thing i'm gonna hear is '' heavy night last night ay''Anyway blessed xnas all and enjoy new year.i'll learn s/how

Posted on: 2014/12/24 5:01

Home away from home
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
You just found out the hard way........ You need a tig mask for tig welding, think they also call them 4 sensor masks, a lot more expensive than the ordinary mig masks.
Hope you feel better in the morning after a nights rest.

Posted on: 2014/12/25 6:01

Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
thanks MB --no i was good to go ten min after the wife got back. Theygave two lots of drops-- one lot deadens it --only one drop in each eye and the other keeps it moist.It was'nt 1st time though.My own fault for trying to be superman and who said you gonna get it done prop first time.yeah the helmet is another story-- 1st was a cheapo then bought the more exp adj helmet but i'm not comfy with it even with the adj for slow/fast light and brightness.I hate the hot air and theres reflections on the glass/lense on the inside-- been back to the h/ware and they have more or less the same but goggles.BUT the big prob is the USER me -- i gotta get my adj on the welder correct.think i gotta lower the heat and check the gas. WELL i need more practice without the eye damage

Posted on: 2014/12/25 9:31

Home away from home
From Narellan,Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Standed tig on 1mm steel should be around 30-45amps with about 10litres of gas flow on the gauge and a helmet with about number 10 shade lens and 1.6mm filler rods.only tack it or weld very small sections as tig is very hot and will warp panels easily

Posted on: 2014/12/25 12:14
BSA custom fabrication 0415 904 474

Home away from home
From RSA
Group:
Registered Users
datrotor thanks a lot man now thats the kinda info i like.I thought the body was a bit too hot at the repair area.Iwas actually waiting for a boffin to give me that answer.My buddies here dont weld and those that do well you gotta kiss ass if you want welding done.I'll be back dont worry only this time i'll practice on two loose pieces before starting. Talking about filler rods -- i watched the youtube chap fill/close trimming holes and others where they do small piece and then cool with air to prevent warp,heat.[small piece move on down line then come back] Almost like my writing -- i hate writing maybe in the future we'll just talk into the comp.THANKS a stack for the info now just gotta wait for the stores to open.I used this thin security fencing wire [lol]cos this mate [welder] said it works and he proved it in the w/shop at work. He welded two pieces of metal together [thicker tho] THIS IS A WARNING DONT STRIP THE SECURITY FENCING AT WORK. I just picked it up cos they broke in twice in one week and damaged the fencing AND it works

Posted on: 2014/12/25 15:04

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]