Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

A Series Engine and Carby Combinations
Home away from home
From Penrith, Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Hi all,

Just wanting to know what people have found to be the best engine and carby combos on their street cars?

Im in the process of building a little street cruiser sedan. Basically just something to take out and about on weekends and have a little fun. Originally i was thinking a14/15 with headwork, big cam, twin sidedraught webbers, headers and exhaust. I had this in my old ute and that was 10 years ago but i seem to remember it was fun and quick but i also remember how little it was in tune and how hard i had to push it to get the best out of it. So i am wondering if this setup may be overkill for what i want and i dont want to waste $ for relatively minor power gains.

So recently i have switched to the idea of single webber and milder cam and save my $ to spend on other aspects of the build.

I really just want something i can zip around town and have a little fun without revving the hell out of it. At the same time i dont want to be underwhelmed either by lack of power and then have to shell out for another engine build.

What have others found in this case. Are twins really worth the extra $ and hassles of tuning? Has anyone had both and could tell me their preference for driveability and fun? Also if i went single would sidedraught have much power improvement over 32/36 dgv?

Thanks
Trav

Posted on: 2015/3/11 10:53

Re: A Series Engine and Carby Combinations
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Single sidedraft will have no power advantage over single downdraft.

Go with an A14 with 32/36 and a mild cam like the stock cam.
If you rev it to 6000 rpm it'll make fair power and be fun to drive.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 22:05
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Central coast NSW
Group:
Registered Users
IMHO I'd chose what u want from the engine that u desire A12,14 or id find a 15, at what RPM ud be most likely to be using it ie, street use? And say between 2,500 and say 6,500 (when having fun) which would dictate ur cam spec and build ur engine around that, extractors, carbie's of choice or carby, I'd recommend putting and electric fan on ur radiator as well,and u could be better off with a round port head for drivability and polish the ports.

Posted on: 2015/3/11 22:53

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Ok thanks. Yeah i was thinking a 32/36 might be enough with a little bit of headwork and a decent clutch. Would a stock diff handle the hp of a14/15 with a single webber? Or should i spend the $ upgrading to ute or borg warner diff?

Posted on: 2015/3/12 9:02

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
HP is irrelevant. The stock 1200 diff can handle the torque of an A14. But is marginal for the torque of an early A15. Later A15s seem to have less torque.

The 56A 4-speed can handle the torque, fitted to all utes and 1973-up cars. The early 56L 4-speed is weaker.

Posted on: 2015/3/12 9:27

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks dave. Fountain of information as always.

Rebuilt a14 with oval port head and mild cam, port matched manifold and a 32/36 weber, extractors and 2 1/4 inch exhaust, rebuilt 56a gearbox into a rebuilt h145 diff.

DONE!!!

Thanks again!

Trav

Posted on: 2015/3/12 9:38

Home away from home
From Central coast NSW
Group:
Registered Users
The A14 will be easier being in nsw u don't have to get it engineered, and if u are going to rebuild the g-box urself just hit me up and I can give u the part numbers for the bearings and seals u'll need. And good luck 🍻

Posted on: 2015/3/12 9:51

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
It's all a good plan... except the weber.... twins/sides/down draught... none of them hold their tune for more than 6 months, and they need a full rebuild kit put through them (the diaphragms fall apart and gaskets leak in that time) i don't think a good kit has been made for them since the days of good ol' asbestos but i could be wrong

even the standard carb needs tuning for hot weather vs. cold weather... but thats just an adjustment on the screw not a rebuild

I've had nearly every motor combo in a 1200 over about 13 years and i stand by the GX carbs (twin side SU's) especially for street

I run them on the rally car because the low end power combined with top end makes it so drivable you can throw the car around however you like in the right or wrong gear and trust it's gonna be able to pull you out of a slide (and nobody believes we have just an A14 in it when they see our results)

webers are nothing but top end power and require you to drive like a flog on the street. carry a fire extinguisher if your running twin sides!

i could go on but thats my general point of view. it will be fun either way but dare to different to the "put a weber on it" trend!

Posted on: 2015/3/13 4:41
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

Just can't stay away
From Melbourne
Group:
Registered Users
Prefer Webers myself and been using them for 40 years.
Sidedraft, downdraft, DGV doesn't matter much. They last really well and are very tuneable for many applications. Sidedraft dellortos are better on the progression but parts are harder to come by.

Most "tuning problems" on sidedrafts are the result of cheap linkage systems. Some of them are just plain junk. No fault of the carb unless its been butchered.

32/36 DGV's are cheap to buy and the kits are cheap. Make sure you get a complete kit with power valve and pump diaphragm. Many cheap kits are exactly that.

SU type carbs work OK, are more forgiving and easier to setup.
Any well setup carb should drive smoothly from idle to redline if it has a reasonable cam and assuming everything else is OK.

Carb fires are most likely to be from a leaking inlet valves, ignition problem or just a bad tune/setup. Flame in the inlet manifold doesn't come from the carb.

Be careful with the brass inlet pipes on DGV Webers. If they get leaned on heavily and become loose in the alloy body you WILL get a fire.

If you need help re tuning Webers have a look for books by John Passini.

Posted on: 2015/3/14 11:46

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]