Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Egi haltech tps
Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Just wondering if anyone has fitted a different tps to their egi setup. I have a haltech one as i plan to use a haltech comouter and when it is in the default position on the throttle body shaft you if the flap opens it wouldnt opwn I.e it rotates in the wrong way. If I was to flip it up and have it under load and mount it that was you can then rotate it.

I was wondering if that would be ok or if you can configure the computer to set a different start position for what is zero and work backward?

Open in new window
this is it just in the degault positon on the shaft

This.is it rotated
Open in new window

Posted on: 2015/7/10 13:37
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Egi haltech tps
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
Dunno about that. But Haltech can use the stock Datsun TPS, which has switchings for idle and full throttle, so it can do a fuel clear.

Are you going to use a Mass Airflow sensor? That's what I'd use with Haltech. Better than the Airflow Meter (AFM) that Datsun used. And tons better than your typical TPS/MAP speed-density setups that need custom dyno tuning.

Posted on: 2015/7/11 10:42

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
I was thinking of using a mass airflow sensor inside one of these [url]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/K-N-Apollo-Universal-Cold-Air-Intake-Induction-Kit-Air-Box-Filter-RC-5052-BLACK-/181791800021?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a53a2bad5[/url]

Posted on: 2015/7/13 7:48

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
and something like this [url]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOLDEN-COMMODORE-AIR-FLOW-METER-AFM-MAF-SENSOR-V6-ECOTEC-VS-VT-VX-VU-VY-MODELS-/180724105752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a13ff0218[/url]

Posted on: 2015/7/13 7:57

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
That K&N universal filter kit looks kind of cheap. But should do the job as a filter.

A MAF needs to be connected to the throttle body via air-tight rubber or silicone rubber tubing.

The GM Ecotec 3.8 engine is good for 205 hp, so the MAF might be a little large for an A14? I'm not sure how interchangeable or sensitive they are.

Attach file:

jpg  K&N_Apollo_black.jpg (20.63 KB)
174_55a3692729cf9.jpg 585X550 px

Posted on: 2015/7/13 8:36

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
I'll see if I can get an excel or toyota echo maf and go from there.

The hard thing in Australia is you can't have an aftermarket pod filter without an air box and this is a good alternative to getting it passed engineering. Or find someone who can weld you up something..

The other approach would be to use the stock datsun airbox

Posted on: 2015/7/13 9:14

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
would I use both an IAT and a maf or does the MAF double as an IAT?

this looks pretty good [url]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mass-Air-Flow-Sensor-Meter-MAF-For-Mazda-Chevy-Tracker-Suzuki-Vitara-E5T52071-FP-/161728935121?fits=Make%3AMazda%7CModel%3AProtege[/url]

or I could use one from a toyota yaris and pinch the air box at the same time

Posted on: 2015/7/13 9:16

From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
IAT is Intake Air Temperature sensor. Not strictly needed with MAF, but your ECU may require it anyways. Or perhaps it may optionally use it to fine-tune cold operation.

With a Haltech or other universal programmable ECU, there are so many choices. Most guys:
* Do what others have done, for good or bad
or
* Do what the ECU manufacturer recommends, which often includes the most popular or expensive options. For example lots of guys replace the CA18DET ignitor for an ECU-manufacturer-recommended one that does the exact same thing. The advantage here is it will work, and they provide great instructions.
or
* DIY: pick the simplest implementation, or the most bling method, or the cheapest way, or maybe the fastest to get up and running. Like the A12 turbo project - he's making smart choices. This requires some research in how to initially configure the ECU.

MAF measures the mass of air entering the engine. It is superior to AFM which only measures the flow. The mass is what is important, but it dependent on flow, temperature, barometric pressure, etc. MAF measures the mass directly, without needing those other sensors. With AFM, the ECU needs to calculate air mass via all the inputs. Not a bad system either way as the end result is similar. AFM is dependent on calibration, proper adjustment and far more prone to dirt/corrosion than MAF is.

MAF with MAP (manifold pressure) is superior to TPS-based mapping system. The reason modders need TPS is for crazy camshaft timing that make MAP fluctuate to much. But for a mild camshaft, MAF/MAP works better. The other reason modders like a TPS mapped system is it possible to make a bit more HP at high-RPM full throttle, but again it goes back to needing extensive dyno tuning seeing how the map is specific to the engine parts combination. With TPS speed-density mapping, the ECU tells the engine how much fuel it should need, while AFM or MAF lets the engine tell the ECU how much fuel it actually needs. So when you change the exhaust system or other major parts, a good MAF-based setup will handle it automatically, while speed-density needs a remap for optimum performance. An O2 sensor will help either system make on-the-fly adjustments, to a limited extent.

I like the idea of the newer GM ECU from a junkyard. It has flash memory so it can be programmed with a $20 USB adapter. It can run a 4-cyl, 6 or 8-cylinder. It can use Nissan sensors. It can do anything. But configuration information is difficult to find compared to say the MegaSquirt ECUs. The problem with MegaSquirt is there is too much info available, too many choices and outdated information too. But once you find the info, the Linux-based or Windows-based configuration software is easy to use.

Posted on: 2015/7/13 10:24

Home away from home
From Sydney, NSW
Group:
Registered Users
Wow thanks for such a comprehensive post David! I've saved it off to my pc. Thanks very much. What an awesome explanation. Found this off a mazda 323 / mx5 1.5 http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/MAF-FORD-MAZ ... -/301616835552?nav=SEARCH

Ill get one from a wreckers

Posted on: 2015/7/13 10:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.