Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Water to air intercool question for A15 turbo
Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Just a quick query guys I'm doing my A15 turbo atm and just wanting to do something a little different mainly because I don't want to cut up a very expensive painted radiator support for an AIR to AIR intercooler. The air to water have great capabilities.

I have found a company frozen boost they make some great products and make a small effective water to air intercooler which in fact I can fit essentially anywhere and just run my turbo intercooler piping

But my main question is, with a water to air intercooler being small (13.5"x4"x3.5", Long Flow) would taping into the normal heater hose line for the A15 water pump have enough power to suck up into the intercooler and go back with no dramas is one question and the second in using the above method will it have a lot of heat soak or will the water still be cold enough being on the intake from the radiator?

here is the intercooler
http://www.frozenboost.com/air_water- ... ir-intercooler-p-220.html

Here is an image of the intercooler setup on a mazda miata

Attach file:

jpg  EC9165C1-FD86-43A9-A0C9-B911589C8F5F-2719-00000261ADD8F919_zps3be7075b.jpg (94.16 KB)
16063_5850fbfb69ddd.jpg 799X597 px

Posted on: 2016/12/14 7:58

Re: Water to air intercool question for A15 turbo
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Adelaide
Group:
Registered Users
You'd usually have a second cooling circuit for the water air intercooler. i.e. another radiator and a small pump. If you use water out of the engine cooling circuit it'll be hot and heat the air unless you're running really high boost.

Posted on: 2016/12/14 8:07

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
I would have thought that the water to air intercooler was really only good for drag racing where you could effectively cycle iced water in a loop to give some very effective cooling, however tapping into radiator water would never let it work efficiently as the water would simply be too hot.
I have used this system on a turbo diesel ( Nissan Mistral ) and grafted a Subaru RS Legacy water to air intercooler in but I also had to run a separate radiator and pump to make it all work so you are essentially back to square one having to mount this in the front of the car if you wish to have the system effective all the time.
Cheers
Dave

Posted on: 2016/12/14 8:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Cheers guys I thought as much I was just curious if it could be a little way around it.. but was the answer I was expecting

Still guess a simple small radiator in front of the radiator already with a small pump will be just as easy simple 12v constantly running is still better than cutting the radiator support panel and will provide a much better cooling for the turbo preventing detonation and popping a head gasket from over heating

Posted on: 2016/12/14 10:56

Home away from home
From Canberra
Group:
Registered Users
Still think ill go down the line of a water to air just to be completely different from everyone being small and super efficient is the biggest thing I like about it same as having a large air to air may be a couple extra hoses but any better reliability to keep the engine safe is good enough for me

Posted on: 2016/12/14 11:02

Just can't stay away
Group:
Registered Users
deleted

Posted on: 2016/12/14 23:18
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.