Fast Search
Slow Search
Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Gx and a12t, breathers
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hi can anyone tell me why the Gx and a12t used a reverse breather system compared to the normal a12?

Posted on: 2021/5/1 15:15
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Gx and a12t, breathers
From 48 North
Group:
Registered Users
Contentmaster
Usermaster
It's a good question that ive pondered from time to time

For A-series engine, the PCV valve screws into the intake plenum. On regular A12S (single-carb engine), this valve has a hose to the block breather tube. But on the Twin-Carb engines (A12T and A12GX) the hose connects to the valve cover tube

my guess is it was done for convenience, easier to route the hoses that way to side-draught manifold and air cleaner. In any case it looks neater

How did the Austins with twin SUs route the breather hoses? Perhaps whoever designed the twin Hitachis used a similar layout?

I also wonder about the block breather. It has a metal gauze/baffle insert to help separate oil from the crankcase vapor. Would that work when the vapor is pulled from the valve cover instead of the block breather? I should have had a closer look at the GX rocker cover, maybe it has that built-in. The single-carb valve cleaners do not have a breather gauze but only a simple metal baffle

Block Breather Mesh
Open in new window

Posted on: 2021/5/19 10:03

Re: Gx and a12t, breathers
Just popping in
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, yeah I've used a h89 head on an a12 an fitted the Twin Hitachi carbs, but connected it up as a standard a12 setup.Seemed to be getting some sludge on airfilter so maybe I best try the other way?

Posted on: 2021/5/31 7:17

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]