Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Moving ute leaf springs inwards
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
Group:
Registered Users
Open in new window

Im sure you can figure it out with this pic. just make the mounts accept leaf springs. Do the same at the back with straight crossmember and mounts to accept leaf shackles. In the pic, swap out the bars for the leaf springs.

Posted on: 2007/4/30 5:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

From Geelong, Vic
Group:
Registered Users
this is something im thinking of trying on my spare sedan, just drilling out the vast number of spot welds holding the rail on then just moving it in a bit to see what is possible

should be fairly easy to do to a ute as its a flat floor
and im with phunk.....no one will ever be able to pick it as long as you jeep it looking stock

Posted on: 2007/4/29 22:50

Home away from home
From Portland, Vic
Group:
Registered Users
Diggin up an old post here guys...

Well, I'm at the point where I just need to fit up my shortened diff to finish off all the major work to the drive train. Below are a couple of pics of the standard ute leaf spring mounts. Basically, I need to move the mounts to the inside of the chassis rails (+10mm) and remount them.

For the rear, I was thinking about welding a piece of RHS just inboard of the chassis rail and then make a new mount and attach it. I think this will be the easy one.

Open in new window

As for the front, I'm really not sure what to do here as I want the area to be nice and strong, yet still retain a semi-stock look. The only thing I can think of here is to use some RHS that welds to the back of the cab like the stock spring rail, and merge the two together.

Open in new window

I would appreciate any input from people that may have a better idea for moving the mounts inwards whilst still retaining the strength. I've been through plenty of options and I'm at the point where I need someone else to look at it as it's starting to lose all meaning!!

Cheers...

Posted on: 2007/4/29 22:16

Group:
Registered Users
I will just point it out again to make sure its 100% clear to you. To be registered as modified production vehicle you are not allowed to narrow the width of the chasis along its entire length.
" So now you cant say you didnt know"
This is why I said if you keep it looking original no one will ask any questions.
You are allowed to mini tub the car but you cant move the rails.
Remember 1200 utes are everywhere and they are a popular vehicle and chances are who ever does your blueslip has seen one before, my car on the other hand arent all that abundant. Having said that, I still know of a few 1200 utes which have passed blueslip with this done without question.
Just making sure you realise.
Cheers Steve.

Posted on: 2004/6/15 13:16

Home away from home
From Portland, Vic
Group:
Registered Users
Well, you already know the answer to that question....especially by looking at your attached pic and considering the rear ends are pretty much identical between the wagons and utes!

So, I guess now I have to try and plan out the process of moving the chassis rails inwards. I wouldn't imagine I would have to move them in too much to get a 7" wide rim under there.

Also, at the same time, I want to make sure that the modified rails are going to be as good as, if not better (stronger) than they were as stock.

Leigh

Posted on: 2004/6/15 6:45

Group:
Registered Users
Ok I get you now.
I still go back to my question of can the chosen wheel tyre combo fit with in the rail and arch without scrubing. In the below pic of a 1200 wagon not ute ( but I am sure it is roughly the same) The center of the rails are offset to the springs but this is still minimal to prevent scrubing. By only moving the springs doesnt increase the wheel tyre size unless only driving in straight lines is the idea.
Open in new window

Posted on: 2004/6/15 5:23

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
I thought he might have been talking about just one side..(4 link total)

I'd agree with you if that's what you think he meant. 2 link = tramp rods.

Posted on: 2004/6/15 5:05

Group:
Registered Users
Chris I thought yours was a 4 link setup?
I dont think any setup is easier as all have many contributing factors. ie, handling, suspension travel, pinion angle. etc.
In a 2 link setup what locates the pinions angle? I have only ever seen 2 link setups used with leaf springs to prevent spring windup ( tramping)

Posted on: 2004/6/15 5:01

From Sydney, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
there's a lot of angles in a "2 link setup".

I suspect it's not as easy as some may lead you to believe.

I know it took a good couple of weeks to get mine looking ok, only time will tell if it's good stuff.

Chris

Posted on: 2004/6/15 4:51

Home away from home
From WA
Group:
Registered Users
wouldn't an easier option be to convert to a 2link setup (semi trailing) off the existing leaf mounts, remove the leaves altogether and run coilovers under the arse end?

if you used 32mm

Posted on: 2004/6/15 4:18

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.