Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Double Wishbone Suspension - IRS
Home away from home
From Cape Town, South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
I know we like to keep our dattos strictly Datsun, but I came to a point where I need to use other stuff from the likes of BMW and Ford.

You guys know that the bunch of RSA guys have been ranting about not getting LS inserts for out Borg Warner diffs and and and..... Well stuff this, I decided to find a solution in my case.

I worked at a National Rally the other day and the S2000 class run a Sadav rear diff and IRS setup, this is where this started.

Only challenge will be to use parts readily available in RSA.

Parts that I think I will use:
E30 BMW Limited Slip Differential - 3.64 ratio
Ford Sierra Hubs, Hub Carriers, probably there CV's and shafts to, need to get them re-sized.

The BMW diff I will never break, not with A14-A15 in mild tune. The Sierra Hub Carriers has 4 bolts to mount to a plate that will serve as a mounting place for the A-arms. And they already have to bolt holes to mount a caliper on.The sierra hubs will also enable me to re drill them to 4/114 PCD.

This will also enable me to get a little camber in the rear if I feel the need.

Please feel free to give me advice and words of caution, as the threads on the forum does not go into detail.

Pictures of the idea more or less, BMW LSD and Ford Sierra Hub Carriers.

Attach file:

jpg  Differential Fitted.JPG (82.30 KB)
11688_4ac496aa96257.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  BMW E30 LSD.JPG (33.84 KB)
11688_4ac4981ead914.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  IMG_0260.JPG (72.17 KB)
11688_4ac4984090b19.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2009/10/1 12:54

Don't find a problem, find a solution!!!!
www.race-tech.co.za
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Double Wishbone Suspension - IRS
Home away from home
From Cape Town South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
This idea is like a tie strap practical and user friendly! I stand with you on this one 100%! Great stuff

Posted on: 2009/10/1 13:15

Home away from home
From Christchurch
Group:
Registered Users
do you guys get mx5's there? If so have a look at them the subframes are very simple and look as though they would be easiest to narrow of facory IRS rear ends. Just a thought

Posted on: 2009/10/1 20:31

Home away from home
From South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
S13/S14 rear subframe is also nice and compact. I would suggest investing in some Catia or similar modeling software to work out your mounting points, lengths, pivot angles etc...

As for BW's and diff's, mine will be finnished with the LSD within the next two weeks,,, At under R5000 all in im not complaining

good luck guys, i look forward to following this!

Posted on: 2009/10/1 21:19

Home away from home
From Christchurch
Group:
Registered Users
the main problem with silvia subframes is strut towers would need to be fabricated atleast with the mx5 the shock/spring mounting points are on the subframe.
Its definitely been done before though

Posted on: 2009/10/1 22:29

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
Manufacturing a frame for the diff and the wishbones is the least of my problems. When the thought entered my mind I knew it is going to be a lot of work. But what could my attention was the fact that so few dattos use this kind of suspension that I just had to take the challenge on. At the end of the day, the knowledge that I would gain thru this project would be priceless.

Rezlo I would have a look at Catia, thought of using Inventor that I already have a basic knowledge of.

What do you guys know about SLA - Short Long Arm, this helps with camber when the vehicle rolls, something I'm very interested in.

What other variables do you know that I would keep in mind?

Posted on: 2009/10/2 7:09

www.race-tech.co.za

Home away from home
From Cape Town South Africa
Group:
Registered Users
Nick another great plus using the bmw lsd is there are so many differnt gear ratios we can run because the crown gear can be inter changed between the models. And a bmw lsd diff is cheap you are looking at about R1600. 270 aus $. So in RSA this would be the way to go.

Posted on: 2009/10/2 7:21

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
I have to agree here... the medium case BMW diff is a great choice that is available in a huge number of ratios (from around 2.7 through to 4.45!). You're right... an A15 is not ever going to break one of these (considering they run the same diff in the e36 m3).

Posted on: 2009/10/2 9:06

Home away from home
Group:
Registered Users
LukeADE,
Sounds to me that you have knowledge about these diffs.
You mentioned that the E36 M3 uses the same one, I did notice that there rear case plate has two rubber mounting points, do you think the rear casing is interchangeable between the E30 and E36.

Any other thing I need to know about, like the friction plates giving problems, weak bearings etc, etc. I read that they recommend a certain Castrol Synthetic oil optimize for these LSD's.

The other thing I would like to know, is it possible to adjust the amount of slip on these, did pickup that you get different sizes metal plates that the friction plates slides against, could this be to compensate for warned parts or to adjust the amount of slip/lock.

Posted on: 2009/10/2 9:45

www.race-tech.co.za

No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From Las Vegas USA
Group:
Registered Users
When and if the LSD goes in my coupe I'm upgrading..................to soemthing more modern but it will still be a beam axle. If I could fabricate worth a #OOPS#e I'd seriously consider an IRS rear set up..........of course that is not exactly vintage legal.

Tom

Posted on: 2009/10/3 2:26

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.