Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 32 »

Estyres 1200 ute build thread V1.0
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From mandurah
Group:
Registered Users
ok so i have decided to start a build page about my 1200 ute

firstly ,i bought the ute around 2 years ago for the sum of $5000 (abit steep i know) and it had the standard A12 and 4 speed in it ,along with a nice set of 13X6.5 jellys with new 175/60 front and 185/60 rear road stone tyres

it was standard hieght when i bought it ,but this had to change

i removed the rear helper springs and flipped the bottom leaf ,and added some 3 inch lowering blocks for style
as for the front i had a set of 1200 coupe struts with new pads and skimmed rotors ,which worked ok until they got warn and started to shudder under hardish braking ,but i have now changed my ways and im going for 120y struts with 1200 tops to bring it down a little and im getting a set of super low king springs and powder coating the struts ,and i might even invest in a good set of inserts aswell

as for brakes i put new drums linings and wheel cylinders in the back because the old cylinders would jam up because they were worn to far

when i bought it ,it had already had a new paint job and the motor was rebuilt ,but i started to notice the sills started bubbling up ,so i rubbed them back to find a fair amount of rust in the driver side sill ,but i patched it until i could fix it and i started looking for more rust ,which i found :( there was a few pin holes in the tray up the front in the driver side corner ,my guess is that someone has left a rope or something in there and it had gotton wet ,and started to rust !

ok as for the motor i wasnt too impressed by the A12s "performance" and i started looking into an A14 or A15 ,which i came across when i bought my coupe and used the motor out of it ,which had a 32/36dgav and a mild cam with a set of extractors and an exhaust system . i changed it all over on a friday night and started it on the saturday arvo ,after tidying the motor up i realised that it started to get hot all the time and i decided to put an N14 pulsar radiatator in it to solve the problem ,but then i realised that it was using abit of water every time i drove it. After about 3 months of stuffing with it ,i decided that it was time for it to come out and to paint the engine bay in 2 pac white (brett is painting it for me) and i decided to pull the head of it to check out the bore and to find out if it had a b lown head gasket .which it did ,inbetween cylinder 2 and 3 ,so i then pulled a bearing cap of to find score marks in the shell ,so i stripped the whole motor down to get measured for rings and bearing ,until i was told that the block had 40 thou over pistons and the bore was already close to 60 thou over ,and the deck needed to be shaved aswell as a bore and acid dip

in the end i decided to try finding another motor to start with and with no luck it was back to the old A12 ,so now i have the A12 on a stand stripped down to a short motor and masked up ready for the heat proof black paint and new gaskets all round ,i also have a set of 40 mm twin solexs (not sure on the model yet) on a manifold ,and they are bolted to a H89 of my A14 which will be getting shaved for more compression to insure the engine will create enough vacume to keep air/fuel mixture speed up and make tuning abit easyer (this info was curticy of dundee "ledgend") and i have all the gaskets for the motor ready to be put together but i still need a few bolts and stuff before the final screw together ,then the fun begins

as for the interior i and going to buy some ally plate and make some polished kick panels ,maybe chequer plate ? ,then a simple but effective sterio system ,maybe a set of 6X9s with a smallish sub under the seat and a decent head unit with an ipod dock and a fancy pop up screen aswell

for seats i am going to buy a good set of fix back race seats

oh and im going to make an aluminium dash face aswell ,maybe one for the coupe aswell and then house some phantom 2 auto meter gauges to tell me whats going on in the engine bay

thats it for now ,ill try to get some pics up tommorow ,but i need to find my damn phone cord to upload them !

Posted on: 2010/8/14 16:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Estyres 1200 ute build thread V1.0
From Albany, Perth Australia
Group:
Registered Users
just some photos of what it looked like before it got pulled apart

Open in new window

Open in new window

Open in new window

Posted on: 2010/8/15 1:28

From mandurah
Group:
Registered Users
thanks brett i was going to hit you up for those pics anyways

it actually looks nice in those pictures ,and the engine was looking good too (in my opinion ,others may vary)

and they engine bay is almost rubbed back now so it is ready for the 2 pac white

does it matter if i rub the runs back and the steel is visable under the primer ?? or will you need to go over it again and then rub it back untill its is all smooth ?

i had a look for my phone plug and i cant find it but ill keep looking and hopefully ill have some pics up tonight !

Posted on: 2010/8/15 6:21
fairly aggro cam ,billet rocker spacers
twin 40mm solex carbs on bpro manifold
MSD 6al2 with 2 step limiter
4speed 60a box
hd clutch
2 inch exhaust
locked 4:11 ute diff

From Albany, Perth Australia
Group:
Registered Users
nah she'll be alright jesse..will just paint over it no biggy....i will go over the whole thing anyway when i get there to prep before i paint it

Posted on: 2010/8/15 6:35

From mandurah
Group:
Registered Users
cool ,i have a few goodys sitting here for you brett

turbo with manifold and "J" pipe to turbo
oil and water fittings ,im getting pipe from work this week
2 L series hitachis with the manifold
23/36 dgavweber
rear gear box seal
A12 flywheel and a few good clutch discs as spares for you car (it will rape clutches hopefully)
new in box turbo smart boost tee
standard Silvia intercooler that will sit behind the headlight and pipes will line up pretty good
plumb back BOV
high pressure hose clamps for inter cooler pipes

and im waiting on the wheels studs ,but they wont be long now !!

is there anything else that i was suposed to get ??

Posted on: 2010/8/15 6:45
4speed 60a box
hd clutch
2 inch exhaust

From Perth WA AUS
Group:
Registered Users
Solex carbies:

Attach file:

jpg  Solex.JPG (67.16 KB)
9665_4c67a7f00d920.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/8/15 9:40

From mandurah
Group:
Registered Users
thanks nigel ,i an buying a new camera as soon as i can ,maybe just one of those $100 jobs from big W or K mart

or i could buy a cheap $60 dollar phone and then use that ,seeing as i need a new phone any ways

today i spent cleaning and polishing ,y timing cover and painting the block in heat proof black paint then i went over it with engine enamal to give it a glossy wet looking finish ,i also pulled my oil pump apart and cleaned all the gunk out of it ,then i used flange master gasket maker to make a new seal inbetween the oil pump blocks ,then i bolted it all up to the block with the new oil pump to block gasket ,but when i was tightening it up ,i felt one of the bolts wasnt quite right when i was tightening it ,i think the thread is stuffed and it might need a helicoil or something :( it was strange cos i started getting a little bit of tention on it and then it started to feel wierd so i stopped ,hopefully its ok but i realy dont want to have to put a helicoil in cos they suck big time !!

i started setting the cam up but i ran out of time cos i had to have dinner and it is kinda hard to turn the cam when the oil pump and fuel pump are boted on (i forgot about the fuel pump being run of the cam )

i am going to rebuild my alternator at wotk next week and hopefully get the head done aswell ,then i need a new head gasket (again) cos i put my new one on and bolted the head down (finger tight) just to take a picture of the motor all bolted together with the carbys and stuff ,and when i lifted the head of it took a piece of the permaseal gasket with it ! but it was a good lesson not to stuff with head gaskets unless im going to torque the head now ,and plus the gasket only cost me $17.00 so it wont break the bank

i started marking out were i need to die gring to make the head to manifold transition smooth but after bolting the manifold to the head and having a good look i dont think it will need it ,and having that lump it might make some turbulance when the fuel enters the head but i doubt it ,i still need

in line fuel pressure gauge ($40 from ebay)
a few braided fittings to fit the carbys and FPG
head gasket
rear main seal
thermostat gasket
get the head plained
sump gasket set
stacks for the carbys
linkage kit to suit my manifold
inlet/exhaust gasket
maybe a new timing chain and tensioner
oil

thants about it at the moment but i will need other things once it get it all cleaned up and start putting it together properly

oh and i put new core plugs in today and i cleaned and painted the sump yesterday

does anyone know if bonnet pins are legal ??

Posted on: 2010/8/15 14:23
4speed 60a box
hd clutch
2 inch exhaust

From mandurah
Group:
Registered Users
oh and does anyone know where i can get a set of good stacks for the solexs and the rubber mounts to bolt them to the manifold ??

mike you got any ?

Posted on: 2010/8/15 14:25
4speed 60a box
hd clutch
2 inch exhaust

From Perth WA AUS
Group:
Registered Users
Redline make the carb to manifold rubber/steel gaskets.
Mike should have some stacks.

Mike!

You know you have them!

Posted on: 2010/8/15 14:59

From Perth
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2010/8/15 15:03

(1) 2 3 4 ... 32 »