Google Ad

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

T series gearbox for the a series
No life (a.k.a. DattoMaster)
From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Can any owner of an a-series with the 3t series corolla 5 speed gearbox conversion tell me the overall cost of the conversion and any other good of bad points if any?

Posted on: 2003/1/24 0:38
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: T series gearbox for the a series
From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
I am more than happy with the conversion,
Firstly there are two bowes to choses from 2T & 3T. Essentially the same box but the 3T has the larger input shaft bearing. This is important to know as "DELLOW" has different bellhousing to suit each box.

I bought my kit for a 3T box, back in 1997 for $600 AU, This included bellhousing, gaskets, clutch driven plate and spiggot bearing / bush + the initial $250 for the gearbox (which you can purchase from elsewhere). So that is a total of $850 AU before fitting.

There is a little bit of machining required to push bearing carrier and the bearing carrier slide. (this is because of the mix and match of datsun and toyota bits)

As well as the box conversion, you will need a new tail shaft made up. (mine cost me $300 au)

So ruffly it cost me around $1050 to do the conversion.

In addition i wasnt satifyied with the standard clutch setup, ( as a daily driver the standard clutch would be fine) so i opted to have a 4 puc ceramic one made up to suit. The peddle is now moderate but has an awsome friction co-efficient. From memory it cost me $350 Au for driven plate, pressure plate, push bearing and lightened A12 flywheel. It hasnt slipped yet.

Cheers

Posted on: 2003/1/24 1:33

From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, forgot to mention as to the good and bad points. Well i only have good points.

1. the toyota box is stronger.

2. Im not sure if anyone else has the same opinion, but the standard datto 4sp has a gap between 2nd and 3rd (ratio wise) The toyota 3T has a better spread of gears.

3. The toyota box, being of the spilt case design, makes it easier to be maintained.

4. Toyota and aftermarket suppliers offer a large range of different gear ratios to suit your needs.

5. I have driven the toyota box rather hard and it feels just as strong as it did when i first installed it.

6. The "throw" of the gearstick between gear changes is shorter, and the noticable lack of sloppiness in the gear stick. Unlike the datto box, with common worn out bushes which can make it feel so sloppy its like it is in neutral, even though it is engaged in a gear.

7. ITS A 5 SPEED

Cheers

Posted on: 2003/1/24 1:50

Home away from home
From nsw,AUSTRALIA
Group:
Registered Users
what year modle corolla did it come out of and did you do the work your self and do yopu think it could be done at home like i mean put together

Posted on: 2003/1/24 3:50

From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1200ute8u1 wrote:
what year modle corolla did it come out of

Not to sure, i bought mine of the shelf, I think they come out of T-18's and Sprinters.

Quote:

1200ute8u1 wrote:
do the work your self and do yopu think it could be done at home like i mean put together

Of course you can, how do you learn unless you do it yourself (with help from people in the know also helps). As long as you have the time, space to do it and the tools to do the job. If you dont know what you are doing ask someone to guide you or watch someone else first (changing a clutch, engine, gearbox etc).

I would leave, making the tail shaft to a professional, as it needs to be balanced.

Cheers

Posted on: 2003/1/24 4:06

From Perth
Group:
Registered Users
I also have a 5 speed toyota box for my A series.
Mine came out of a TA22 celica for the pricely sum of $50.....minus top of the shifter...someone cut it off for some reason.
I have a dellow bellhousing too. Kit cost me $400 in 99. I didn't like his clutch setup so I'm using my own.
I also needed to mod the toyota input shaft housing and the inner of the bearing carrier to mix and match. I am using the A series bearing with a 230mm Toyota 4AG clutch (ceramic 4 puck).
Alloy Race components in Morrabin are making me an alloy flywheel to suit this application now and I should have it back by end of Feb.
My box cost me $600 for total overhaul by our local Porsche mechanic. He owed me a favour so I got it done cheaper than it should have been. Basically everything except the main cluster was replaced. I could have gone close ratio cluster for an extra $3k but I declined gracefully.
The short shifter isn't a prob as I need to shorten it further to setup a remote linkage for the car anyway as the engine sits beside me.I still need to have a 12" tailshaft made yet - length that is
I hope to have it all in the car this year so I'll let you know how it turns out.

Posted on: 2003/1/24 12:59

From under the Firmament LOL no twiglight effect BS
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks guys, sounds like the way to go but how does the reverse light switch work.

Posted on: 2003/1/28 9:02

From Perth
Group:
Registered Users
over to you guys
mines a racecar so no reverse lights

Posted on: 2003/1/28 12:23

From Melbourne, Australia
Group:
Registered Users
i didnt really read all this but, why would reverse be a prob, i wired in my own reverse lights once, all ya gotta do is send power to one terminal on the switch on the box and then send a wire from the other terminal to the lights, simple

Posted on: 2003/1/28 12:39
1200 Coupe Project A15ETT

From Sydney
Group:
Registered Users
The same principals apply for the reverse switch as the original 1200 box. Also forgot to mention, the original standard spedo cable also fits straight onto the t series box, no mods required.

Cheers

Posted on: 2003/1/28 23:21

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.